Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Why do some denominations / religions grow while others don't...

Time to blow the dust off this section, as it is my favorite area
Ok, its a known fact in scholarship and just general Christianity that some denominations have been growing, while others have seen membership drop in the past decade or so.

The mainline (Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopal, Presbyterian et.al.) churches have seen their numbers shrink and a resurgence in fundamentalist evangelical churches, some of which are non denominational, are growing. Why do you think this is?

Discuss!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:03 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Most, like here, do not what to hear of the Blood, they will go where the listening is 'easy', these are the unSaved.

Will There Be a Great Falling Away?

Above explains.

I gave you a hard time on being scholarly...there is the Truth and then there is everything else. It really is that simple.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 PM  

san marcos, texas
I think that Christianity is just evolving to fit within modern times, many of the smaller denominations still hold to some strict ideals. A lot of presbyterian women still wear long skirts and don't cut there hair. Some denominations are still against dancing. Non-denominational Christians strive more to fit with the times, to stay cool and hip, and that appeals to teens and young adults.

Of course in order to change with the times, the text of the Bible must change as well and every time a new version of the Bible is written, the meaning of the word is inevitably changed. The Bible is very difficult to interpret, that is why there are so many different denominations, because they all have interpreted the bible differently. It always seemed odd to me that the "word of God" would be so hard for man to figure out. Especially when it is a matter of eternal damnation, you would think an all knowing all loving god would make it easier for his followers to figure it out.

Quote:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 PM  

I'd like to find out how the Catholic religion is doing with all the allegations and confirmations of molestations which have occurred. Has their membership fallen, or are they still not accepting the media coverage in the last few years?

I should add that I apologize if this it taken the wrong way, as it is not meant to be a snide remark. I've just wondered if their membership is still as strong as they use to be.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by addie View Post
I think that Christianity is just evolving to fit within modern times, many of the smaller denominations still hold to some strict ideals. A lot of presbyterian women still wear long skirts and don't cut there hair. Some denominations are still against dancing. Non-denominational Christians strive more to fit with the times, to stay cool and hip, and that appeals to teens and young adults.

Of course in order to change with the times, the text of the Bible must change as well and every time a new version of the Bible is written, the meaning of the word is inevitably changed. The Bible is very difficult to interpret, that is why there are so many different denominations, because they all have interpreted the bible differently. It always seemed odd to me that the "word of God" would be so hard for man to figure out. Especially when it is a matter of eternal damnation, you would think an all knowing all loving god would make it easier for his followers to figure it out.

No, the Bible does not change with the times, the meaning and intent never changes, God has not changed, Christ has not changed. As I said, you want 'easy' listening.

The the point of understanding-

If you do not understand Mandarin Chinese, you will be left out of the conversation.
God's wisdom and understanding is granted through the Holy Spirit, this is how the Book in understood. This is also why the Bible is refered to as the "Living Book" as God is constantly revealing Himself to those who seek him, again this is accomplished through the Holy Spirit.

I'm not condemming so do NOT misunderstand, but simply, if you find the Book impossible to understand, this is God's way of telling you you are not seeking God, or that God is not with you.

The first step to understanding is to seek God, in order to seek Him you must first put aside all that you think you know, what you think you know or understand is wrong. It is arrogance and pride that will separate you from God and His wisdom and knowledge.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I'd like to find out how the Catholic religion is doing with all the allegations and confirmations of molestations which have occurred. Has their membership fallen, or are they still not accepting the media coverage in the last few years?

I should add that I apologize if this it taken the wrong way, as it is not meant to be a snide remark. I've just wondered if their membership is still as strong as they use to be.
I dated a woman for two years who is Catholic and for about 18 months I went with her to Mass. That was the most godless experience I have had with the possible exeption of a few experieces at a Unitarian church.

As for the membership? Don't know, but I can tell you that the reformed Catholics, those who See and get out, I bet those numbers are growing.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:25 PM  

san marcos, texas
So, Jacko, which denomination has got it right? Which one has been blessed by the Holy Spirit? Since they all have different interpretations of the Bible, they can't all be right.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:55 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Truth is subjective.
Interpretation and exegesis are ongoing and living enterprises.
Heck, Catholics used to believe that you could purchase indulgences to get dead relatives out of Purgatory and into Heaven.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by addie View Post
So, Jacko, which denomination has got it right? Which one has been blessed by the Holy Spirit? Since they all have different interpretations of the Bible, they can't all be right.
All cars have four wheels, but not all cars are the same. Some folks like red ones, some blue, some fast, some slow, some 4 door and some 2, etc.....That is subjective.

Christ speaks of His 'church', His church is not Baptist or Methodist, or...?

There is a huge difference between religion and faith and the two may have absoutely nothing to do with eachother.

Christ has called us to congregate, thus, the church, or the practice of congregating.

I have found my way back to the old style Missionary Baptist church, back to the basics, it's where I feel comfortable, a STRICT Bible teaching church.

If wisdom and guidence is not received from God, then yes, 'truth' is subjective, but then, if you are seeking subjective truth.....God has his opposition.... Satan, and it is Satan that offers his truth too, subjective truth. Just how subjective do you what to be?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Truth is subjective.
Interpretation and exegesis are ongoing and living enterprises.
Heck, Catholics used to believe that you could purchase indulgences to get dead relatives out of Purgatory and into Heaven.
Praying to Mother Mary is a sin. First Commandment, Thou shall have NO other gods before ME.

So, need I say more?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!