Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Occupy Wall Street's Top 10 Richest Supporters

Quote:
The Blaze thought it might be interesting to take a look at some of Occupy Wall Street?s wealthiest celebrity supporters. Given that OWS ?are the 99%,? and, given the movement?s general distaste for ?the other 1%,? we wonder how enjoying support from the wealthy elite jibes with movement?s core principles.

It is difficult to gauge who is most hypocritical in this instance ? the wealthy ?1%?ers? supporting a movement that claims to revile everything celebrity represents, or OWS protesters for ?selling out? and accepting help from the purported ?enemy.?

Perhaps the greatest, and, most obvious hypocrisy of all is that, unless born into privilege ? as is the case with some of our celebrities below ? it can be argued that none of these high net-worth individuals would be where they are today without having availed themselves of the advantages of capitalism.

Here is a list of the 10 wealthiest celebrities supporting Occupy Wall Street. According to Celebrity Networth, the site that compiled the list, they have a combined net worth of $1.255 billion.

#1 Yoko Ono Net Worth ? $500 million

Probably most ironic of all, is that Ono is a descendant of the prestigious Yasuda banking family, as well as a 9th century Emperor of Japan. She also attended Gakushuin, one of Japan?s most exclusive schools.

Ono stated ?I love ?Occupy Wall Street?! John is sending his smile to ?Occupy Wall Street.? I am sending my love to ?Occupy Wall Street.? We are all working together. ?

#2 Russell Simmons Net Worth ? $325 million

Networth reminds that, in addition to being a music mogul and best-selling author, Simmons is the founder of a fee-based credit card company called UniRush Financial Services. But isn?t the financial services industry to blame for the nation?s economic demise?

#3 Roseanne Barr Net Worth ? $80 million

Barr, who thinks that bankers earning over $100 million should be beheaded, obviously thinks she escaped the guillotine by earning a meager $80 million.

#4 Deepak Chopra Net Worth ? $80 million

Chopra is another on our list who was born into privilege. His father, Krishan Chopra, was a prominent Indian cardiologist and head of the department of medicine and cardiology at Mool Chand Khairati Ram Hospital in New Delhi. Chopra?s father was also a lieutenant in the British army.

Chopra, who said OWS is ?turning anger into awareness? has amassed quite the fortune from his numerous best-selling self-help books, as well as from the services offered at his luxurious Chopra Center spa and treatment center ? where workshops, seminars and the ?Journey into Healing? ? meant to help anyone, are priced out of reach for just about everyone.

#5 Kanye West Net Worth ? $70 million

West, who grew up in a quaint, middle class suburb of Chicago, has an entrepreneurial side. While not completely successful, his company, KW Foods LLC, bought the rights to the Fatburger hamburger chain in Chicago with plans to open up ten locations. Additionally, West launched his own fashion line in addition to collaborating with Nike on the release of his own shoe, Air Yeezys. Is West ?selling out? with his ever-growing commercial empire?

#6 Alec Baldwin Net Worth ? $65 million

Perhaps best of all is that in February 2009, Baldwin actually called on lawmakers to extend New York?s tax break for the film and television industry, stating that if the ??tax breaks are not reinstated into the budget, film production in this town is going to collapse and television production is going to collapse and it?s all going to go to California.?

So tax breaks are O.K. then?

#7 Susan Sarandon Net Worth ? $50 million

Sarandon popped by OWS en route to Italy.

??I?m just here to be educated and offer my support. There?s a lot of different kinds of people here who want to shift the paradigm to something that?s addressing the huge gap between the rich and the poor.?

That gap is made abundantly clear when one peruses Sarandon?s $1.75 million Manhattan penthouse.

#8 Michael Moore Net Worth ? $50 million

An extensive interview with The Guardian in 2004 revealed that, not only has Moore sent his daughter to private school, but that he often travels with body guards and lives in million-plus-dollar residences in NYC?s Upper West Side (at the time of interview) and in Michigan.

The Guardian noted that, although Moore consistently refers to himself as ?working-class,? he in fact grew up in a middle-class suburb of Flint, in a two-car family where his father golfed, retired in his fifties, and was financially comfortable enough to send his three children to college.

Perhaps most damning of all, however, was the following passage where Moore?s former manager called the ?Fahrenheit 911? maker ?money-obsessed?:

Moore?s employers were confronted with ever more regal demands. He insisted that Channel 4 house him at the Ritz when he worked in England on The Awful Truth, a fact he now portrays as the revenge of the working class against corporate might. Meanwhile employees grumbled. ?He?s a jerk and a hypocrite and didn?t treat us right and he was false in all of his dealings,? said one former worker. His former manager, Douglas Urbanski, has said that Moore ?was the most difficult man I?ve ever met? he?s money-obsessed?.

#9 Tim Robbins Net Worth ? $50 million

According to public records uncovered in The Daily Beast, the UCLA film school graduate shockingly contributed some $5,000 to Republican candidates in 2006 including Tea Party icon Michele Bachmann.

#10 Nancy Pelosi Net Worth ? $35.5 million

Pelosi, whose father was a U.S. congressman and former mayor of Baltimore, is one of the wealthiest members of Congress. Ironically, her husband, Paul Pelosi, is a successful investment banker and owner of the Sacramento Mountain Lions and the United Football League.
Top Ten Richest Celebrities Supporting ?Occupy Wall Street? | TheBlaze.com

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-20-2011, 04:24 AM  

Nashville, TN
You forgot George Sorros BILLIONS.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:23 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Ah yes. He's a given in anything liberals touch :-) ironnnyyyyy

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
and how much money has gone towards it?(especially compared it to the tea party) yes there may be a few rich supporters but so what? they have not been a campaign relying on any significant amount of money......

now the tea party, now there is some extreme amount of money being utilized there (not just rich supporters people wise, but actual large amounts of cash going into the agendas..

overall what is your point? are you really trying to label the occupy wall street supporters as rich people? really?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:12 PM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
overall what is your point? are you really trying to label the occupy wall street supporters as rich people? really?
No its rather amusing that the libtard celebrities supporting them have all gained their wealth from the exact things the OWS are postesting. Ironic, huh. And I don't see them getting out their check books and giving back all that they have earned just so everyone has the same amount of wealth.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:22 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
No its rather amusing that the libtard celebrities supporting them have all gained their wealth from the exact things the OWS are postesting. Ironic, huh. And I don't see them getting out their check books and giving back all that they have earned just so everyone has the same amount of wealth.
what's with the name calling? I generally don't go around calling republicans retarded... (just pointing that out)

and your point is what? individual does not equal overall population, plus these "libtard" celebrities are in support of being taxed more, just as warren buffett is, why? because we are a civilized society, we should be able to afford things like medicare and social security as well as healthcare, we do have a system that has been pushing trickle down economics and shrinking our middle class for generations.... The idea that a few celebrities could donate their incomes to change that is absurd. I don't think you understand the severeity of the income gap and how it is growing. If we want to, as a country as a whole, continue to grow we need a strong middle class. Right now we are NOT headed in that direction, the last 60 years of tax cuts for the rich have only made the middle class smaller. So yeah they aren't fighting for income redistribution, they are fighting for a healthy economy and a society that gives people a chance.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:32 PM  

Nashville, TN
I called you no name, please take no offense if you are not one of the attention seekers that talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Now if everyone is for raising taxes then why isn't everyone jumping on Cains proposal?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
I called you no name, please take no offense if you are not one of the attention seekers that talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Now if everyone is for raising taxes then why isn't everyone jumping on Cains proposal?
I understand it wasn't directed at me, specifically, however just pointing out which side is doing so, I have seen a lot of discussion from republicans claiming that the "libtards" are the ones being vile towards republicans.... just saying I would prefer a more civil/educated debate free of childish name calling.

as far as cain, because it DOESN'T except for the poor, the rich get a HUGE tax break, and the poor get a tremendous tax hike as everyone essentially pays 18% in federal taxes (assuming it doesn't become a 11-11-11 plan when the revenue falls short), yes he has proposed some changes but that will likely make it even more necessary to go up from 9
Old 10-22-2011, 01:47 PM  

Nashville, TN
I understand everyone will be paying some tax, but we pay taxes now. The FICA as I understand it will go away. Employee and employer contributions. Everyone pays this. Exemptions will be given to those in the poverty levels as I understand it. I haven't read the whole proposal, just caught the talking points when he was on the radio the other day.

I don't like to pay taxes, but I understand if I want to educate my children, there is a cost. I understand that if I want to drive my autos there is a cost for the roadways. I understand that if I want services like police/fire/rescue/water/ there are costs. I don't mind paying my share. I don't think anyone should be given a free ride, no matter how much you earn. I don't think just because you earn more than I do you should be singled out and made to pay for things I use. We are the Land Of The Free. That doesn't mean everything here is free.

If we are going to leave the borders open then set up a system where those here working pay for the services they consume. Go to an ER on any given day and see how many customers you are paying for.

And, if you think words are only directed in one direction? Go re-read the posts that have been offered about the Conservative view points around here from more than one poster.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!