Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2016, 06:00 PM  

I thought it might be wise to have a hint what the bill really contained before some went overboard with their wild eyed Christian bashing. Especially those laying claim to the title of administrator. The cardinal rule of journalism is that there are two sides to every story.
Quote:
16 HB 757/AP
H. B. 757
- 1 -
House Bill 757 (AS PASSED HOUSE AND SENATE)
By: Representatives Tanner of the 9th, Nix of the 69th, Battles of the 15th, Powell of the 171st
Hatchett of the 150th, and others
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
1 To protect religious freedoms; to provide for defenses and relief related thereto; to amend
2 Chapter 3 of Title 19 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to marriage
3 generally, so as to provide that religious officials shall not be required to perform marriage
4 ceremonies, perform rites, or administer sacraments in violation of their legal right to free
5 exercise of religion; to provide that no individual shall be required to attend the
6 solemnization of a marriage, performance of rites, or administration of sacraments in
7 violation of their legal right to free exercise of religion; to amend Chapter 1 of Title 10 of the
8 Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to selling and other trade practices, so as to
9 change certain provisions relating to days of rest for employees of business and industry; to
10 protect property owners which are faith based organizations against infringement of religious
11 freedom; to protect certain providers of services against infringement of religious freedom;
12 to amend Chapter 1 of Title 34 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to labor
13 and industrial relations generally, so as to provide that faith based organizations shall not be
14 required to hire or retain certain persons as employees; to amend Title 50 of the Official
15 Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to state government, so as to provide for the
16 preservation of religious freedom; to provide for the granting of relief; to provide for waiver
17 of sovereign immunity under certain circumstances; to provide for definitions; to provide for
18 ante litem notices; to provide a short title; to provide for related matters; to provide for an
19 effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:54 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Posting the truth is not hateful. Most of the bigots in the US hide behind Christianity.
Amen to that! I find it amazing that so many Christians actually use Christ as a badge to implement hatred. I present the westboro Baptist church as just one example of this. These people really are something else. I'm glad to see action being taken against them. Here's just a few newspaper articles concerning their activities using that Jesus badge.

Westboro Baptist Church Smacked Down In Lawsuit

The Huffington Post | Nick Wing | Posted 08.22.2013 | Politics

Read More: Westboro Lawsuit, St. Louis, Military Funeral Protests, Funeral Protest Bill Missouri, Westboro Baptist Church, Westboro Baptist Church Lawsuit, Funeral Protest Bill St. Louis, Westboro Baptist Church Missouri, Westboro Baptist Church St. Louis, Funeral Protest Bill, Politics News

A federal judge ruled against the fringe, anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church this week, granting a motion to dismiss a lawsuit by the congregation that ...

Read Whole Story

Westboro Baptist Church Counter-Protested At Soldier's Funeral

Posted 08.05.2013 | Politics

Read More: Westboro Protested, Politics News, Video, Military Funeral Protests, Westboro Baptist Church Protest, Westboro Baptist Church, Funeral Protest, Westboro Baptit Church Counter-Protest, Soldier Funeral, Westboro Protest, Politics News

Members of the Patriot Guard Riders and others from the Hinesville, Ga. community honored Sgt. Stefan Smith on Sunday in an effort to derail a planned...

Read Whole Story

State Deals Another Blow To Westboro Baptist Church

The Huffington Post | Lisa_Miller | Posted 03.28.2013 | Politics

Read More: Westboro Funeral Protest, Video, Florida Funeral Buffer Bill, Military Funeral Protests, Governor Rick Scott, Newtown Funerals, Westboro Baptist Church, Westboro, Florida, Politics News

The Florida Senate approved legislation Wednesday to expand restrictions on protesters like the Westboro Baptist Church, the Associated Press reported...

Read Whole Story

Bad News For Westboro Baptist Church

The Huffington Post | Melissa Jeltsen | Posted 09.18.2012 | Politics

Read More: Wbc, Military Funerals, Westboro Baptist Church Supreme Court Ruling, Video, Westboro Protests, Governor Jerry Brown, Military Funeral Protests, Westboro Baptist Church Jerry Brown, Jerry Brown, Westboro Baptist Church, Westboro-Baptist-Church, California Governor Jerry Brown, Politics News

California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed legislation Monday restricting protests at funerals, a year after vetoing a similar bill due to concerns over f...

Read Whole Story

Anti-Westboro Law Draws Thanks From Veterans' Families

The Huffington Post | Mollie Reilly | Posted 08.09.2012 | Politics

Read More: Politics News, Military Funerals, Westboro Baptist Church Veterans, Honoring America's Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act, Video, Military Funeral Protests, Westboro Baptist Church, Slideexpand, Westboro Baptist Church Protests, Charlie Bass, Barack Obama, Veterans, Politics News

A new law restricting Westboro Baptist Church's ability to picket military funerals has drawn thanks from the people it will impact most -- the famili...

Read Whole Story

Westboro Baptist Church Reacts To Obama's Smackdown

The Huffington Post | Ethan Klapper | Posted 08.08.2012 | Politics

Read More: Honoring America's Veterans, Military Funerals, Video, Westboro Protests, Military Funeral Protests, Honoring America's Veterans Act, Westboro Baptist Church, Westboro, Obama Westboro, Westboro-Baptist-Church, Westboro Baptist Church Protests, Barack Obama, Politics News

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church once again took to Twitter to react to the new law signed by President Barack Obama on Monday that will restric...

Read Whole Story

Obama Signs Law Criminalizing Westboro's Weapon Of Choice

The Huffington Post | Nick Wing | Posted 03.05.2013 | Politics

Read More: Honoring America's Veterans, Military Funerals, Video, Westboro Protests, Military Funeral Protests, Honoring America's Veterans Act, Westboro Baptist Church, Westboro, Obama Westboro, Obama, Westboro Baptist Church Protests, Politics News

President Barack Obama signed the Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012 into law on Monday, providing a wide-...

Read Whole Story

Community Aims To Thwart Westboro Protest

The Huffington Post | Mollie Reilly | Posted 08.05.2012 | Politics

Read More: Politics News, Congress, Video, Military, Military Funeral Protests, Westboro Baptist Church Protest, Westboro Baptist Church, Westboro Baptist Church Congress, Funeral Protest, Slideexpand, Politics News

When Westboro Baptist Church announced plans to stage a protest at a fallen soldier's funeral, residents of Palm Bay, Fla. decided to organize a "huma...

Read Whole Story

Westboro Baptist Church Reacts To Congress Limiting Their Activities

The Huffington Post | Ethan Klapper | Posted 08.03.2012 | Politics

Read More: Veterans Bill, Military Funerals, Veterans Bill Congress, Westboro Baptist Church Demonstrations, Veteran Bill, Congress Veterans Bill, Westboro Baptist Church Twitter, Slideexpand, Westboro Baptist Church Protests, Veterans, Military Funeral Demonstrations, Video, Military Funeral Protests, Westboro Baptist Church, Westboro, Westboro Baptist Church Military Funerals, Westboro Baptist Church Funerals, Politics News

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church were quick to react on Twitter, in their typical, hate-filled language, to the news that Congress passed a bill...

Read Whole Story

Congress Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist Church

The Huffington Post | Nick Wing | Posted 08.03.2012 | Politics

Read More: Veterans Bill, Military Funerals, Veterans Bill Congress, Westboro Baptist Church Demonstrations, Veteran Bill, Congress Veterans Bill, Slideexpand, Westboro Baptist Church Protests, Veterans, Military Funeral Demonstrations, Video, Military Funeral Protests, Westboro Baptist Church, Westboro, Westboro Baptist Church Military Funerals, Westboro Baptist Church Funerals, Politics News

Westboro Baptist Church protesters will soon be severely limited in their ability to disrupt military funerals, after Congress passed a sweeping veter...

Read Whole Story

Zombies Turn Tables On Westboro Baptist Church Protesters

The Huffington Post | Mollie Reilly | Posted 07.30.2012 | Politics

Read More: Westboro Baptist Church Blocked, Politics News, Video, Westboro Protests, Military Funeral Protests, Westboro Baptist Church Zombies, Westboro Baptist Church, Sterling Wyatt, Texas a&M, Slideexpand, Politics News

A Westboro Baptist Church protest was overshadowed Friday when demonstrators dressed as zombies gathered at a DuPont, Wash. military base to counter t...

Read Whole Story

Westboro Baptist Church Protest Effort Blocked

The Huffington Post | Mollie Reilly | Posted 07.23.2012 | Politics

Read More: Westboro Baptist Church Blocked, Politics News, Video, Westboro Protests, Military Funeral Protests, Westboro Baptist Church, Sterling Wyatt, Texas a&M, Slideexpand, Politics News

A planned protest by the Westboro Baptist Church was overshadowed Saturday when thousands of supporters gathered at the funeral of a fallen soldier to...

Read Whole Story

Illinois Expanding Ban On Military Funeral Protests

Posted 10.14.2011 | Chicago

Read More: Aclu, Military Funerals, First Amendment, Military Funeral Protests, Pat Quinn, Westboro Baptist Church, Homophobia, Hate Speech, Military Funeral Protest Ban, Military Funeral Protest Ban Illinois, Chicago News

Though similar measures have been ruled unconstitutional by federal judges, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn said he will sign a bill that bans protests ne...

Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 PM  

As an honor guard bugler for 15 years I would have picked that one but it's an isolated case. To paint other establishments of religion with that brush would be akin to saying all welders and floorists are *******s.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 PM  
Traveler

Really? I believe if it were legal, that the religious right would be no different than the Taliban. Some of these people are just fanatical idiots. Any group of people who would seek to surpress the freedoms of others in the name of their religion like Kim Davis for instance, really should have a doctor examine their heads.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Really? I believe if it were legal, that the religious right would be no different than the Taliban. Some of these people are just fanatical idiots. Any group of people who would seek to surpress the freedoms of others in the name of their religion like Kim Davis for instance, really should have a doctor examine their heads.
Maybe some, but I have never met anyone like that. In my experience it is the Christians that are discriminated against and have their values suppressed. But Christian bashers don't don't see it as God and His followers are seen by them as the enemy.

Kim Davis is another exception, I don't know why she chose a job that violates her beliefs. For example, a pharmacist friend didn't believe in dispensing the "day after" pills so rather than creating a scene he left a chain pharmacy and opened his own (that's the kind of Christians I know).

I don't go about branding people as idiots even though some are perfect examples. I just wasn't raised that that way. Shooting from the hip with a scatter gun can result in a lot of collateral damage though it can gain a lot of attention (like this thread).
Old 03-30-2016, 10:27 PM  
Traveler

First, let me just say that there are a few very good Christians out there such as Jimmy Carter. But the honey moon stops there. Christians have been bombarding the general public for years trying to brainwash the masses. This bill is just one assault of many. I find that Christians impose on my life far more than I impose on them. From my experiences, if you bump into one of the those "praise you Jesus hallaluya" born again Christian nuts, you'd better keep your butthole up against the wall. Don't turn your back!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:23 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
There are some good Christians out there. But it just seems that the most famous are hypocrites. I have two friends who are preachers that would do anything to help anyone, but many are only in it for the money.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:00 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
First, let me just say that there are a few very good Christians out there such as Jimmy Carter. But the honey moon stops there. Christians have been bombarding the general public for years trying to brainwash the masses. This bill is just one assault of many. I find that Christians impose on my life far more than I impose on them. From my experiences, if you bump into one of the those "praise you Jesus hallaluya" born again Christian nuts, you'd better keep your butthole up against the wall. Don't turn your back!
You poor thing, it must be hard living with such hatred and bias.

Jimmy Carter is a nice man and knows far more Christians than you. My bet is that Jimmy would not agree with your comments.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:31 PM  
Traveler

There you go making assumptions again. Just so's you know...No hatred. No bias. Just actual facts as they pertain to my life. Remember now that just as, Muslims, gays etc can attest, you Christians are the folks that are biased in this country. Obviously, with you people, it's all about you, all the time. Jimmy is too busy helping other people (not tearing people apart) and not so that he can look good either.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:35 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
There are some good Christians out there. But it just seems that the most famous are hypocrites. I have two friends who are preachers that would do anything to help anyone, but many are only in it for the money.
I agree. So many of these born again evangelicals think that putting bumper stickers on your car proclaiming Jesus is their co pilot or blasting Christian rock over their stereo constitutes being saved. It's people like Jimmy Carter who are in fact the genuine article.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.