Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 AM  

Bob, you really don't understand how much I'd like to actually be sitting in a pub drinking a bottle of Rakia right now!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbob

Most of our tour was along the north side of ?Stara planina?
Quote:
(The Old Mountain)
or Balkan ? the mountain named all our region.
Is there such thing as a "new" mountain?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:22 PM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Bob, you really don't understand how much I'd like to actually be sitting in a pub drinking a bottle of Rakia right now!
Believe me Mark, I know it very very well …

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Is there such thing as a "new" mountain?
Mkfarnam … yes … maybe not exactly "new" mountains, but it is well known that geologically there are “old folded” and “young folded” mountains.

For example in USA Appalachian are “old folded” mountains – appearing when America and Europe were touching each other. The same is with Ural in Russia – when Europe and Asia were touching.

80 000 000 years ago, when North America has begun shifting slowly to west, Cordilleran has begun to fold and rice up – it is an “Yang mountain” – it continues to go higher and higher. The same are cases with Alps in Europe, Himalayas in Asia, Andy in South America.

The case with the “Old mountain" in Bg is the same, but a little different. Geologically it is an “young folded” mountain, never mind we call it “Old” - people named it having no any relation with the geology …. Geologically the river crossing it (Iskar river - the photo below) is older than this mountain and it cut the mountain faster than rising up of the mountain, shaping very nice gorge I love to bicycle it so much …. Unfortunately I am not so sure, if my geology English is perfect … I hope you will understand …
Virtual pub “With a little help from my friends”-picture-185.jpg 

https://bgbybike.tripod.com
Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbob View Post
Most of our tour was along the north side of ?Stara planina? (The Old Mountain) or Balkan ? the mountain named all our region.
We don't have site like that in Texas. Not enough mountains, not enough green foliage.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
?. Unfortunately I am not so sure, if my geology English is perfect ?
It all looks like limestone to me
Nice to have you back a bit before your next escapade.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
One quick question

Old 06-30-2011, 05:41 AM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
It all looks like limestone to me
Nice to have you back a bit before your next escapade.
You are right Alex - this mountain consists only sediment type of rocks ... Just above the rocks you see in the photo there is a large karsts area. I will try to find a photo of large karsts spring just below these rocks. There is a great cave labyrinth there as well. The thing you have noticed is some monument – a communistic remains … they were maniacs to produce a false history …

My next escapade will be absolutely lazy … I intend to relax beneath the sun at some beach at the seaside at least 10 days … I only still do not know if it will be after 10 or 15 days …
Virtual pub “With a little help from my friends”-picture-158.jpg 

Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
You are right Alex - this mountain consists only sediment type of rocks ... Just above the rocks you see in the photo there is a large karsts area. I will try to find a photo of large karsts spring just below these rocks. There is a great cave labyrinth there as well. The thing you have noticed is some monument ? a communistic remains ? they were maniacs to produce a false history ?
Do you know what it is? I'm fascinated by that period and the people who lived in it.

They taught us very little in school. We studied Marx and Engel, but never actual communism. Just the working theory. We weren't even taught it was bad, we were taught from a neutral stand point which always surprised me as an entire generation saw half the world as enemies.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Do you know what it is? I'm fascinated by that period and the people who lived in it.

They taught us very little in school. We studied Marx and Engel, but never actual communism. Just the working theory. We weren't even taught it was bad, we were taught from a neutral stand point which always surprised me as an entire generation saw half the world as enemies.
Austin ? I'll say you a joke, I loved so much in these years:
A man asked another one:
- How do you think ? who have found out the ?Communism?: scientists or philosophers ? ?
- I believe philosophers ? replied the other one ? if scientists have found out it, they surely had to try it first on the laboratory white mouse, not directly on the people ?.?

Austin ? immediately after communists hold the country government - September ?44, for several days they killed 30 ? 40 000 people ? nobody knows ? educated and intelligent people ? for a small country like Bg, it was too much ?

Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post

Cheers guys ? Mark ? my salad & rakia are next to me ?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.