Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nebraska > Omaha / Council Bluffs
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 PM  

Omaha, NE
OK, lets talk about the mayoral recall - pro or con lets talk about it!

Like the title says, lets talk (civilly please) about the recall. If you are for it or against it state your case.

Just a word of warning, you may see me make statements either for or against since I haven't made up my own mind yet!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM  

Omaha, NE
The websites of both the pro and con sides of the proposition are light on details and heavy on rhetoric.

Pro: Mayor Suttle Recall
Con: Forward Omaha - Anti-Recall of Mayor Suttle

So to get the ball rolling....

Pro:
  • Suttle didn't do enough to cut spending before resorting to tax increases.
  • The new taxes implemented are not legal for the city to assess, including the restaurant and catering tax that amounts to a sales tax the city is not legally allowed to assess as well as extending the wheel tax to non-residents (taxation without representation anyone?).

Con
  • Suttle inherited the budget problems from a previous administration during a national financial crises.
  • A special election will cost anywhere from $600,000 to $900,000.

Anyone got anything to add to either list? Or argument for or against anything already there?

Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 AM  

Underwood, Iowa
Seems like a waste of time and resources to me. He ain't the best, but he was elected.

I will say that even thinking about taking from retired city employees pension was about the stupidest thing I ever heard of. After they gave Omaha 20-30 years to EARN their pension, he discussed changing benefits. Hard to have a lot of faith in him or a system like that.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM  

Omaha, NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Seems like a waste of time and resources to me. He ain't the best, but he was elected.

I will say that even thinking about taking from retired city employees pension was about the stupidest thing I ever heard of. After they gave Omaha 20-30 years to EARN their pension, he discussed changing benefits. Hard to have a lot of faith in him or a system like that.
I don't think they were taking from the pension fund, just that the fund has a shortfall and they may have to reduce benefits accordingly. There was a pretty good article in the Omaha World-Herald about it.

Quote:
Pension funds have been hurt by a variety of factors, including investment losses and benefits that were more generous than the funds could afford.

But the problems with Omaha's civilian system come with a twist: After years of job losses through budget cuts, the city's civilian work force now has too few employees to support the number of retirees.

The drop in civilian workers saved the city money, both in wages and benefits. But it had a big impact on the pension fund, because it meant smaller pension contributions from employees and the city.

David Kramer, an Omaha lawyer who specializes in employee benefits, said the combination of tight budgets and still-pricey employee benefits can lead to a ?death spiral? that eventually bankrupts local governments.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 PM  

Omaha, ne
I'm 100% against recalling Mayor Suttle. It isn't because I'm a big fan. In fact, I didn't vote for him. However...

- Why spend upwards of $1 million to get him out of office only a year before he can be voted out anyway? Money is money, let's not waste it.

- I see a mayoral recall as akin to impeaching the President (yes, I know that's not law, but it's the way I see it). So recalling a mayor should be reserved for something far more serious than spending cuts & tax increases.

- Suttle did not create the financial mess we're in. He inherited it. Some of it is the direct result of his predecessors' actions, and some of it was simply the state of the economy. And Suttle could not, with the stroke of a pen, simply put an end to the insane pension spiking & other problems with the OPD and OFD Unions.

- Suttle is actually trying to address the city's financial problems, rather than just pushing them off into the near future.

There's not much question that Suttle is arrogant, a horrible communicator, and a terrible PR person. He has done nothing to improve his image. But don't be fooled by the Mike Faheys of the world, who smile and glad-hand you while stabbing you in the back.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 AM  

Omaha, NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post

- Suttle did not create the financial mess we're in. He inherited it. Some of it is the direct result of his predecessors' actions, and some of it was simply the state of the economy. And Suttle could not, with the stroke of a pen, simply put an end to the insane pension spiking & other problems with the OPD and OFD Unions. ...
This is the only part I really have some disagreement on. Before he was Mayor, he was on the City Council. That makes him part of the problem he claims to have inherited.

I think the new OPD contract is at least a step in the right direction and puts an end to spiking as well as raising the retirement age. However the OPD and OFD contracts alone are not the only reasons someone might consider recalling the mayor.

That said, I still haven't made up my mind though and I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me and the other readers here.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:26 PM  

Omaha, ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
This is the only part I really have some disagreement on. Before he was Mayor, he was on the City Council. That makes him part of the problem he claims to have inherited.

I think the new OPD contract is at least a step in the right direction and puts an end to spiking as well as raising the retirement age. However the OPD and OFD contracts alone are not the only reasons someone might consider recalling the mayor.

That said, I still haven't made up my mind though and I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me and the other readers here.
Right. Suttle is not some innocent bystander who just got thrown into something.

Even so, I just don't think Suttle should be scapegoated the way he has been. And this is coming from a guy who isn't a Suttle fan!

About the recall effort... Just today, when I was on my way in to meet a client at Panera Bread on Saddle Creek, I was accosted by a Suttle Recall Worker. The guy was clearly a no-brain that was just hired to get signatures. Seems like he's being paid by the signature.

Honestly, that really irks me. They're more than welcome to try to get the signatures! But geez people, let's at least be smart about it.

Anywhoo... That's my take.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 PM  

Maryville, Missouri
Recalling him would cost too much money, and he only has a year left. The city is in trouble and Suttle is trying to help. Don't let people who don't know Omaha politics cost the city money it doesn't have. Omaha needs to get a mayor that will fix the city.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:59 PM  

Omaha, NE
I agree the recall is pointless. By the time the recall election is over, and if Suttle loses there, then there has to be another election to elect a new mayor, then we may have just waited until the next scheduled election...
Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 AM  

Omaha, ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by phidelt1499 View Post
I agree the recall is pointless. By the time the recall election is over, and if Suttle loses there, then there has to be another election to elect a new mayor, then we may have just waited until the next scheduled election...
I don't think Suttle is going to lose. It took them a month of extremely aggressive, often coercive, and maybe fraudulent tactics to get 38,000 recall petition signatures - almost 10,000 of which weren't valid.

I'm not sure they'll get that many "No" votes in 1 day.

But... We shall see!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nebraska > Omaha / Council Bluffs
Bookmark this Page!