Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Orange County
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM  

Huntington Beach, CA
Is it legal or illegal?

i just refurbished my jeep front bumper and i dont want to spoil the look with a license plate. is it illegal to not have it on the bumper? can i have it in my windshield?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:25 PM  

Vehicle Code 5200 states every vehicle registered in California must have a front and rear license plate securely affixed to the front and rear of the vehicle, and there are heighth limitations as well, so the answer is "no". Also, as far as having it in your windshield, this would be considered an illegal obstruction so this is a "no-no" as well.

Living in HB, where they want to charge you in a car accident by the equipment necessary to help you, including $300 per hour for a useless Batallion Chief, or $4000 for the jaws of life, I wouldn't take this chance!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM  

Orange County, CA
it is illegal
Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 PM  

ladera ranch, ca
i am in the marine corp and out here from nh. I know you need a front and rear plate but I have not had a front plate on mine in 7 months and know one has said anything. its also illegal not to have at least one side mirror and look how many people dont have relocation brackets. when they take there doors off. point being cops will normally not waste there time on pulling you over for your plate in the wrong place.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 PM  

The simple answer is yes, it is illegal. As Valen2312 stated, it is a small fix-it ticket and chances are you might get away without a front license plate, but then again, you might not. I would recommend that you leave it off of your windshield because if you were to get rear-ended, the plate in your windshield will fly backwards and could cause serious damage to anyone seated inside.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 AM  

Apple Valley, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhirev View Post
it is illegal
It is more of a matter of will a cop mess with you regarding the matter. Here in the high desert I have no front plate, no covers on my off road lights, the tires stick out past the flairs, tinted windows and never get harassed at all. But this is the desert. In orange county they might get me for all of the above.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 PM  

Westminster, CA
Quote:
Havasu:
Living in HB, where they want to charge you in a car accident by the equipment necessary to help you, including $300 per hour for a useless Batallion Chief, or $4000 for the jaws of life, I wouldn't take this chance!
Havasu,

You sure about that? The article I read said the city wanted to impose these "fees" on non-residents. The idea is to get tourists to pay for resources they use and then go home.

Quote:
Skiddey:
i just refurbished my jeep front bumper and i dont want to spoil the look with a license plate. is it illegal to not have it on the bumper? can i have it in my windshield?
I've driven in Orange County for the past 20 years with no license plate on the front of two different vehicles. A Ford Ranchero and then F150. I got 1 "fix it" ticket 3 years ago on street sweeping day. Forgot to move the truck one morning and I guess it was a slow day for the officer so he wrote me up for being in the way of the street sweeper and no front plate.

I took the plate off my garage wall and put it back on the truck. Drove over to the police station and got the ticket signed off. Went home, removed the plate and put it back on my wall.

MarkP
Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 PM  

Regarding the issue in Huntington Beach, this is an old post. Since that time, the Huntington Beach City Council voted this down due to a fear it would prevent valuable tourist money from entering the city. That was a smart move IMHO!

Regarding the front license plate, in my city I retired from, many 5200 VC violations were written by our several parking enforcement employees. It was not a fix it ticket, and was an automatic $30 violation, paid directly to the city. Sure, you could argue the point at one of two Administrative Hearings mandated by the State of California, but it was a 1% chance of dismissal.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM  

Tustin, California
Question: Do you want to do something? Answer: yes... Therefore it is illegal. When you wake up in the morning you have already broken about 15 laws. It really is time we stop putting up with ridiculous 'regulations' and just thumb our noses at retarded policies. Just because something is legal/illegal, doesn't make it right or just. As long as you are not depriving someone else of their rights/life, you are in the moral right.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM  

I completely disagree with your last statement, but there are better areas to discuss this in, not the Orange County thread.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Orange County
Bookmark this Page!