Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Orange County
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2010, 09:08 AM  

Edgewater, FL
Remember how Irvine used to be?

Back before they were an incorporated city, the Sheriffs would patrol it, with Irvine Company private security. Back when Jeffery Rd had two tempo bridges placed there by the Marine Corps. When there were bean fields between the 405 and the 5. When you used to be able to drive to the top of Turtle Rock.

I went to Uni on the 3rd year of it's existence. And was nowhere like it is now. There was no fence there, and we used to have an open campus rule. We'd take off and go to Carl's Jr for lunch.

Anyone here from there and think on OCIR still there, and stopping at the General Store across the street for a Coke? Charlies Chili?

Gosh I feel old.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM  

Huntington Beach, CA
Remember Lion Country Safari? It's hard to imagine lions and giraffes roaming around Irvine Amphitheater (Verizon Amphitheater) isn't it?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 PM  

Syracuse, New york
Lion country safari was awesome!
Too many idiots left there sunroofs open and "interacted" with the animals. Didn't someone get mauled?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM  

Syracuse, New york
We used to ride bikes up jamboree, then hop a fence and ride up "signal hill.". I went off to college and now pelican hills has a condo right where I was once chased by an irvine company cow!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 AM  

Edgewater, FL
LOL. If I remember right, when they built the Amphitheater, part of the park was still open. I think that LCS was just not bringing in alot of business to pay for the park. That was back when it was still expanding. We used to get howled at by the Marines driving between MCAS El Toro and the Helicopter base where the blimps used to be. Back when I was a 16 year old hanging out with my friends. Before Woodbridge was even built. We used to go cow tipping on Ridgeline and University where the bible college is now. Geez, them Irvine Co Cows were a dangerous lot. ha ha I haven't been back there for close to 20 years now. My Mum and Da divorced and moved to separate areas. My Mum now lives in San Bernardino Hills, and my Da passed away now.

Back when the college guys would chase us around until we told them we were in High School....and they still chased us around. Jail bait. LOL. Now my youngest is turning 13. Oh geez.......Man....some good times back then......
Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM  

Whittier, CA
I remember that drag strip down there where you could run what you brung every Wednesday night. Back int he day we would go down there and Terry Vance from Vance and Hines with be testing his top fuel drag bike. That was pretty cool.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:11 AM  

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
I remember that drag strip down there where you could run what you brung every Wednesday night. Back int he day we would go down there and Terry Vance from Vance and Hines with be testing his top fuel drag bike. That was pretty cool.
OCIR (Orange County International Raceway) I used to run my old VW squareback against Gene Burg at the "Bug in".
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM  

Tustin, CA
Remember when they started building the Spectrum? Or when the base was still in Tustin?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 AM  

New York City, New Jersey
Is the BMX track still there on Jeffrey?

And to be more inclusive with the nostalgia, anyone remember when the El Toro Y didn't have traffic?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM  

My grandson races BMX a few times a week, and the only BMX track I am familar with is at the S/E side of the 55 Freeway at Chapman Avenue.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Orange County
Bookmark this Page!