Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 PM  
Traveler

Mill Creek, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
Dorph, I think that meeting would take the smile off your face.
That's what religion does for everybody...and always has. It's a somber, sober, very sad view of the human race. It looks upon all of us as if we were small children needing the guidance provided by ancient civilizations. Sorry...that voodoo horse manure only works on those who believe it. Count me out![/QUOTE]

Dorph: If you want to see smiles try going to a nondenominational chruch sometime to a worship service and you will not have seen so many smiles and happy faces on so many people in your life. They even get so happy they dance. ooh ooh But then they spiritually have lots to be happy about.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:46 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
We should rate each war since recorded time. Rate each as;
a) power
b) greed
c) religion
d) all or several of the above

My money is on religion to keep pace with greed & power in causing the most bloodshed. IMO religion may need listing under "deadliest sins".
I'm not sure that religion is the *cause* of all the bloodshed, but there is no denying that it exacerbates it. When your soldiers start asking why they should die pursuing the war, someone else's quest for power and one's own greed just don't do the trick. But a strong enough ideology will do it. An antithetical moral position will do it. Religion provides both of these.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:55 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldruggedcrosser View Post
Dorph: If you want to see smiles try going to a nondenominational chruch sometime to a worship service and you will not have seen so many smiles and happy faces on so many people in your life. They even get so happy they dance. ooh ooh But then they spiritually have lots to be happy about.
Dorph: You could also go to the nearest college town on a Friday night.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Dorph: You could also go to the nearest college town on a Friday night.
LOL...I'll take it under advisement.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
But then they spiritually have lots to be happy about.
I used to see a lot of that on TV.
Amazing During The 21st Century-rev-ike.jpg 

Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM  

TN
Quote:
I used to see a lot of that on TV.

Faithful Gather For Funeral Of Jerry Falwell He was 73. Methusulah live to more than 900. Falwell must have been doing something wrong, LOL
Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
Faithful Gather For Funeral Of Jerry Falwell He was 73. Methusulah live to more than 900. Falwell must have been doing something wrong, LOL
Once I woke up with a severe hangover and decided to stay in bed a bit. I had a small TV in the room so I tried watching.
Someone very articulate was explaining the dangers of nuclear war at great length and I found it interesting. Then it cut to a message before the commercial saying that after the break the "Administration's spokesman for a strong nuclear posture" would be offering his rebuttal?????

What rebuttal, the guy was just showing what might be left alive on Earth after nuclear Armageddon.........

After the commercial the Reverend Falwell was introduced as (Bush II) the Administration's spokesman.

I calmed reached in my nightstand's drawer and shot the good Reverend right between his beady eyes. (felt great)
Old 07-10-2011, 06:31 PM  

TN
Quote:
Once I woke up with a severe hangover and decided to stay in bed a bit. I had a small TV in the room so I tried watching.
Someone very articulate was explaining the dangers of nuclear war at great length and I found it interesting. Then it cut to a message before the commercial saying that after the break the "Administration's spokesman for a strong nuclear posture" would be offering his rebuttal?????

What rebuttal, the guy was just showing what might be left alive on Earth after nuclear Armageddon.........

After the commercial the Reverend Falwell was introduced as (Bush II) the Administration's spokesman.

I calmed reached in my nightstand's drawer and shot the good Reverend right between his beady eyes. (felt great)
Falwell was another one of those who lived behind a gate and a 12 ft. high fence. I understood he had a $100,000 security system with a central control area for monitoring video. Makes one wonder exactly what it was he was afraid of doesn't it?

I remember Jim and Tammie Faye had an air conditioned dog house. I shouldn't go there...I have a 12 year old german shepherd and she lives in the house with my wife and I.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I'm not sure that religion is the *cause* of all the bloodshed, but there is no denying that it exacerbates it. When your soldiers start asking why they should die pursuing the war, someone else's quest for power and one's own greed just don't do the trick. But a strong enough ideology will do it. An antithetical moral position will do it. Religion provides both of these.
I hear you but since Richard Nixon did away with the draft and initiated a "paid army," those who start the wars never have to worry about any of their own becoming involved in one. I believe a system like the one Israel uses would work much better and 100% more fair to what used to be the middle class. This country is rapidly becoming one where corporations and rich people have it made.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 AM  
fustrated genius

What's amazing to me is how far fanatics on both sides of the fence are. I expect some athiest to come waking me up at my front door Saturday morning. I had no idea their were so many fanatics amounst the big A ranks. It's kind of funny really, just remove the "I used to be all messed up on drugs, now I'm all messed up on the lord" and replace with "I used to be all messed up on the drugs, then the lord, now NUTTIN, hunny!!!!"

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.