Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
GOD...it can not be disproved that is sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Cannot be proved either.
Circular debates/arguments about the existence of an infinite being by finite beings serves only to expose what little both parties profess to "know" and "not know" about GOD.

The human condition allows comfort in expressing views that have no impact in our here and now.

The true impact of such discussions manifest itself when we personalize the debate outside of, "I think or I know or I feel". Responsibility for our words, actions and thoughts, concerning GOD, take on a more personal impact when we consider statements like; "I can or I cannot (believe)" or "I will or I will not (believe)".

GOD either has or has not done His divine work. It is how we respond to it or not respond to it that matters. It is about relationship and that relationship will dictate what we we say, do and think about GOD.

Those that are offended by the proposal of a relationship w/ GOD must consider they either can not or will not believe. Those that grasp the concept will hold on to can and will. The degree of any of these positions is based in relationship (or the lack of).

As for me, I can and will. Those that can not or will not....I understand.
__________________

__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 AM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
God was created by man, not the other way around. As far as what I posted about the Bible being a compilation of books by Constantine's priests, that is history. Many if not most of the clergy don't know the Bible's history and teach things that aren't in there.
My favorite example of that, is preaching that Mary Magdalene is a prostitute. That is not in the Bible, and in fact wasn't taught that way until an edict by a Catholic Pope said so.
The church wanted to differentiate between her and Jesus' mother Mary. If you do believe in a God, read up on the history of your religion, so you know what you are talking about.
__________________

__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
God was created by man, not the other way around. As far as what I posted about the Bible being a compilation of books by Constantine's priests, that is history. Many if not most of the clergy don't know the Bible's history and teach things that aren't in there.
My favorite example of that, is preaching that Mary Magdalene is a prostitute. That is not in the Bible, and in fact wasn't taught that way until an edict by a Catholic Pope said so.
The church wanted to differentiate between her and Jesus' mother Mary. If you do believe in a God, read up on the history of your religion, so you know what you are talking about.
Since you can rationalize the concept of GOD....you must fall into the "will not" category. Those that "will not (believe)" will find good company in which to base their beliefs. The Catholic Church, misguided preachers....even the HISTORY CHANNEL are often quoted as factual examples.

Thanks for making my point so eloquently by focusing on "other's" failings. The free will to reject what others profess as truth is one's choice. Those that have misguided others into dis-belief will be held accountable. Those that allow themselves to be mis-guided will be held accountable as well. Intellectual honesty dictates an understanding of the 2 sides (at least) of any debate. To focus only on what one wants to believe is a wobbly crutch for unbelievers and believers alike.
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Since you can rationalize the concept of GOD....you must fall into the "will not" category. Those that "will not (believe)" will find good company in which to base their beliefs. The Catholic Church, misguided preachers....even the HISTORY CHANNEL are often quoted as factual examples.

Thanks for making my point so eloquently by focusing on "other's" failings. The free will to reject what others profess as truth is one's choice. Those that have misguided others into dis-belief will be held accountable. Those that allow themselves to be mis-guided will be held accountable as well. Intellectual honesty dictates an understanding of the 2 sides (at least) of any debate. To focus only on what one wants to believe is a wobbly crutch for unbelievers and believers alike.
You must be a preacher. You never actually respond to what anyone says.
__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
You must be a preacher. You never actually respond to what anyone says.
No, I'm not a preacher.

I was not "answering" you anyway. I was just not letting your understanding not be challenged. Your understanding may mis-guide others and I'm called to challenge that. I am sure there are more than 2 people on this forum and my submissions are for them. You've made clear your beliefs and I'm doing the same. But, if you actually have questions...ask away. I'll do my best.

If your goal is to continue to mis-guide others and show enmity toward my GOD....I'll be of little use to you. You might want to stick to the HISTORY CHANNEL!
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
Don't know how I mislead anyone. I just posted historical facts. And the facts came from many books, not the history channel.
__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Don't know how I mislead anyone. I just posted historical facts. And the facts came from many books, not the history channel.
Sure you do. Its an insult to yourself to say otherwise.

In some circles the "fact" that the Holocaust did not happen....is a historical fact.

.....Was that your question?
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 PM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
Why do you deny history? Do you also think that the Earth is only 2000 years old?
__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Why do you deny history? Do you also think that the Earth is only 2000 years old?
Ahhh... two questions.

1. Why do you deny history?...I do not deny history. I do reject what you claim is historical truth.

2. Do you also think that the Earth is only 2000 years old? ....No
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
You deny the written history of the Roman Empire? That is where the story is of the Bible being compiled.
__________________

__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.