Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Sacramento
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2010, 05:34 PM  

Free activities?

Anyone know of some fun free stuff to do around town? My usual fallback is disc golf, but that's not really working with this weather lately.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 PM  
Beer is now cheaper than

Rancho Cordova, California
No real iteds of free stuff. But I've played disk Golf while on Vacation and its a blast. However I've never played here in Sac. Any suggested areas one might try. Whats the average cost to get started?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:49 PM  

Sacramento, California
any kind of free activity will probably require some imagination. there are plenty of parks to go to as well as the river. there are dog parks if you have a dog; my wife and i take our dogs to the dog park in carmichael all the time. you meet some good people and see some pretty cool dogs while youre out too.

but in wet weather or stormy weather we like to get a good movie and watch it with some snacks. i guess it really depends on what you like to do or what kind of imagination you have.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM  
Scourge of Ice House Rd.

CA
For the outdoors we've got National forests right here perfect for:
  • camping
  • hiking
  • backpacking
  • hunting
  • target shooting
  • fishing
  • exploring with a 4x4

Right here in Sac we have rivers and several lakes for:
  • swimming
  • fishing
  • hiking along
  • local camping
  • wildlife watching
  • kayaking

Locally you can go mountain biking on a huge variety of trails that covers every skillset possible, and if you want to migrate out of the free range, for $20 you can shuttle the Downieville downhill, which I highly recommend, not to mention the Tahoe Rim trail (free) or paid shuttle.

Alternatively you can head for Lake Tahoe which has a list of things to do, both at South Lake Tahoe and up on the North shore, though many are the same activities just more scenic: hiking, camping, etc.

Placerville is only about 40 minutes away and has a cool little downtown, a state park and a cave exploration thing you can do.

If you ride a motorcycle, you cannot beat roads like Icehouse Rd. and Wentworth Springs, providing amazingly scenic vistas as well as destinations.

Don't forget about the antique and art shows in downtown Sac held once a month or so, check out sacbee.com for details.

There is an annual Chicken Festival in Fair Oaks worth attending, though this year's wasn't as good as last year's, it was still fun, and free.

Of course there are all the things to do right here in Sacramento that are free, exploring touristy spots like Old Town, but also of course the actual state capitol, there are several microbreweries (ok not free... but beer, come on) There are also things like the indoor go cart race track that are fun to do. (also not free, but fun as hell)

Anyway that's some stuff off the top of my head, I'm sure there's things I'm leaving out but should be a good starting point.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM  
Scourge of Ice House Rd.

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkedup View Post
No real iteds of free stuff. But I've played disk Golf while on Vacation and its a blast. However I've never played here in Sac. Any suggested areas one might try. Whats the average cost to get started?
There is a disc golf place off of Hazel in Orangevale, just north of Greenback and Hazel. I'm not sure how much it costs though, maybe look them up?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealtrip View Post
There is a disc golf place off of Hazel in Orangevale, just north of Greenback and Hazel. I'm not sure how much it costs though, maybe look them up?
it is free, also springview park in rocklin has a course. Disc golf is an amazing free sport!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 PM  

Wine tasting

While El Dorado and Amador counties have some outstanding wineries - most are free for tasting, there are a few nearer to Sacramento. The closest are:

- Revolution Wines at 2831 S. Street
- Frasinetties Winery at 7395 Frasinetti Road (off Florin) - also a restaurant
- McConnell Winery in Elk Grove at 10686 West Stockton Road - Take the Grantline exit, turn right, then left at first light. Follow Stockton Road around about 1/2 mile. The tasting room is in the families old farmhouse.

Out by the Sacramento River are several wineries at the Old Sugar Mill in Clarksburg at 35265 Willow Road, and a little further out is Bogel Winery at 37783 County Road 144. Bogel is a great place to take a nice country drive and settle down to a picnic in the grass next to the vineyard.

All are free and you'll see the owner or winemaker pouring the wines. Talk about knowledgeable!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
YOU'LL FIND LISTINGS OF JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ON THIS LINK.....CHECK THE
NOMINEES UNDER EACH HEADING FOR THE COMPLETE LISTING OF ACTIVITIES IN
YOUR AREA:.........

http://kcra.cityvoter.com/best/sacramento/winners

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Sacramento
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.