Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 AM  

Austin, Texas
Man Called Grasshopper

It's been a while since I lived in SM and I recently took a drive through the city. Nice to see it's still the laid back place I once lived in. I remember a guy on a green homemade bicycle who seemed to be a Harre Krishna. He dressed like one and he also wore a pony tail like one. I read on this forum that he might have been hit by a car.....but rather than hear a potential rumor does anyone know for sure?

Since he was the legend of my time at SWT I would like to know if anyone out there might really now his name, his story, and what he is doing now.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I've never seen him, and I drive around SM quite a bit.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:38 PM  

Austin, Texas
Thanks Austin for the reply. I think that something either happened to him or that he moved...It might have been years ago. However, I am hoping someone knows on this forum.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderation View Post
Thanks Austin for the reply. I think that something either happened to him or that he moved...It might have been years ago. However, I am hoping someone knows on this forum.
It fun that all Texas towns have staple characters that everyone knows.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM  

San Marcos
It has been quite awhile since I saw him around. 10 years? Not sure. There are new characters, to take his place. None are quite as interesting, though.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
It has been quite awhile since I saw him around. 10 years? Not sure. There are new characters, to take his place. None are quite as interesting, though.
Seems the freaks trying to be freaks are not as good as the weirdos who stagger out of there houses unaware they are in fact weirdos.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 PM  

San Marcos, Texas
Hello Moderation,

Though I do not know of this grasshopper character myself, I asked around for you. From what I was told, he moved away 3-4 years ago, possibly to East Texas. Further, according to the source of information, "he was a good guy that was just misunderstood."

Whether or not any of it is accurate, or if we're even talking about the same grasshopper, I do not know. But that's about all I can tell you, and hopefully it will be enough to piece something together.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I find most characters re just good guys/gals that are misunderstood. There is a thin line between genius and insanity.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM  

San Marcos, TX
I remember "grasshopper" I think his real name was William Penneck (sp?). I haven't seen him in many years, but I remember everytime I would talk to the guy he was nice. He always had that cat (and even a pet squirrel once) tied to a rope as a leash and it would ride around town with him. He spend most of his days at the falls with that green innertube that matched his clothes.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 AM  

Austin, Texas
Thanks to everyone for posting. I did hear that his name was William Penneck or Pennick. Thanks for adding this. I also heard that he may have moved to Austin and has since passed away from alcohol related reasons. However, these might just be rumors and it would be good to know the truth. It would also be good to find out his story if anyone knows it. I wonder if one of you or anyone else who is still in S.M. could ask around some more? If he had a local place he frequented they might know ie., like a bar, tattoo parlor, restaurant.....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!