Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2010, 03:41 PM  

Raleigh, North Carolina
I wonder if Bird Swamp is still open out
in Ravensdale? Try to make it up that
when it's raining. What about Cougar
Mountain? Can you still wheel and ride out
there? It used to be pretty big.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:50 AM  

Tacoma, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
I wonder if Bird Swamp is still open out
in Ravensdale? Try to make it up that
when it's raining. What about Cougar
Mountain? Can you still wheel and ride out
there? It used to be pretty big.
Is bird swamp the one at the end of kent-kangly on the side of that big hill? I don't think it was ever 'open'. I think it was always illegal. That being said I was last in there like 18 months ago. :-)

Old 10-13-2010, 12:12 PM  

Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparctacus View Post
Is bird swamp the one at the end of kent-kangly on the side of that big hill? I don't think it was ever 'open'. I think it was always illegal. That being said I was last in there like 18 months ago. :-)

I think you made a left at the Y. Stay to the right,
and follow it down to Retreat Kanaskat Rd. Used to
be a dirt road that went down to the Burnt Area,
AKA Sand Pits. You have to cross the tracks, and
you'll find a hill that goes straight up to a place
where people take their quads. You used to get
to it from the backside from 4 corners, where the
new Safeway sits. been a long time since I've been
out there, but my brother says people still ride out
in Ravensdale.

Anyway, that hill that went straight up used to be
slick as snot. The only way I made it up was on a
dirt bike when it was dry. It was called "Bird Swamp."

Sonuds like you might have been out near Selleck.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 PM  

Graham, Washington
I like the Elbe area, don't do a whole lot of wheeling there but I hunt in that area every year and there are a lot of trails there.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:19 PM  

Newport, Washington
Pickup yourself a forest service map and head east and north of Seattle and go up into Federal land. To hell with the liberal state controlled property.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 PM  
orj

Tacoma, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt97862 View Post
My favorite spot to go in the "Greater Seattle Area" was Evans Creek. Its just outside Buckley WA (southeast of Seattle). It's been a few years since I was up in that area doing any wheeling, but it was a lot of fun.
+1 to Evans Creek.

That area is a blast. Miles and miles of trails from bike and quad courses to full on Humvee trails. There's a hilltop there where you can see Mt. Rainier (It takes up half the horizon!), Seattle, the Puyallup River valley and Mt St. Helens if it's a clear day! Amazing stuff. In the Fall there's chanterelle mushrooms growing all over the place up there as well.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 AM  

Seattle, WA
A lot depends on what type of offroading you want to do: Jeep or ATV? There are plenty of ATV places (I think walker is more suited to ATVs than Jeeps), but I'm a Jeep guy. Evans Creek is fantastic when the punks aren't spoiling it for everyone, Elbe is fun, and Liberty (near Leavenworth) is challenging. My favorite is the Little Naches River area by Yakima - there's a full range of terrains including a moonscape-like area, high trails, etc. I would suggest searching the 'net for Jeep clubs (or ATV clubs if that's your thing) and hooking up with them. There are tons of offroad fans out here.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 PM  

Olympia, WA
Check out rock candy mountain on highway 8 from olympia to aberdeen. About 25 minutes outside of oly. Awesome roads with lots of mud and gorgeous views
Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 PM  

Tacoma, WA
Another one in the Tahuya state forest...out near Belfair.....about an hour northwest of tacoma.....up highway 16 then out highway 3......good size ORV park with free 1st come first serve primitive camping....it's not off the grid...but... you can camp and ride your butt off!! I have had a ton of fun their on my quads....and I saw many folks out there in their 4x4's...in some pretty crazy terrain and deeeeeeeep mud! There is a day use parking lot too.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:58 PM  

Tacoma, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrinks View Post
Another one in the Tahuya state forest...out near Belfair.....about an hour northwest of tacoma.....up highway 16 then out highway 3......good size ORV park with free 1st come first serve primitive camping....it's not off the grid...but... you can camp and ride your butt off!! I have had a ton of fun their on my quads....and I saw many folks out there in their 4x4's...in some pretty crazy terrain and deeeeeeeep mud! There is a day use parking lot too.
Tahuya is a great place to get your feet wet, literally. Everything from mild to extreme. Other good choices are Evans Creek, Elbe, Naches, and Walker Valley which is up north. #1 Rule, never go wheeling alone. Always have another reliable and capable vehicle with you. Things happen.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Bookmark this Page!