Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2010, 03:32 PM  

Ashland, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
that was what google voice translated a voicemail i recieved into...
Now that's hilarious, but it's exactly what I suspected would happen with it even though I never used it.

I might get a VOIP telephone, but I'd hate to rely on one in case of emergency. Power goes out, no phone, cable internet goes out, no phone. I haven't had a land line in years though, so obviously I'm depending on a cell phone which isn't the most dependable service on the planet either, but hasn't left me stranded so far.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM  

I would avoid it. A co-worker had one and thought it was great at first, but then it started to have problems. It would cut out in the middle of a conversation, even though the internet was working perfectly. Then, calls wouldn't come through, but would show up that they had called. There were some other problems like the computer not recognizing the magicjack. He tried contacting magicjack customer service, and it ended up being impossible to get a hold of anyone. He tried for weeks, and finally gave it up.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:16 PM  

ottawa, ont
Magic jack works

I don't have one, but know people who do and use it all the time
Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 AM  

Palestine, Texas
I use Google voice to make calls on my land phone. No charge for US long distance.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM  

Port Angeles, WA
jeepcache: Nice translation. What nationality was the caller that left that message?

I had a magic jack for a bit to keep my home fax machine working after I switched everything to cell phones and internet. The magic jack worked most of the time, sometimes there was a missed call, some really long faxes had to re-try, but it did work. I ended up selling the unit with half of the service used up to my uncle after I got wise and switch up to internet fax (metrofax.com). He seemed to have more hassles with it than I did, but he was doing all voice calls and I was strictly using it for faxes. Plus I think in a couple months he used it more than I ever did total.

Google Voice is pretty cool but I'm still waiting for incoming call support where I'm at. Would be nice to see how close they are.. Time to go looking.. ;P
Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 AM  

Willis, Texas
I'm amazed that it worked at all. Fax traffic over VoIP can be very tricky *if* the ATA (analog terminal adaptor) is not set up correctly.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 PM  

I have been using one for about a year. Overall I'm happy with it, but the computer needs to be on-line and occasionally it will disconnect from the magicjack network and I cannot place/recieve calls. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but it's happened 3 times now.. I usually reseat the USB device and it recovers.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!