Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2014, 01:01 PM  
Administrator

WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I have w-7 and love it. My poor laptop is 5 years old now, and getting long in the tooth. I am currently shopping for something better, but I can assure everyone that the new laptop will not be a w-8.
Depending on what you replace with, you can spec out Windoze 7 still. I recently got a new Lenovo laptop and paid a few extra bucks for a "downgrade" to 7.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:34 PM  

Thanks! The above posts make me feel more comfortable about making the transition to a new PC. I'm checking for deals now.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 PM  

I got the Lenovo Q190 and it appears that it will do all I need to do for about $185 w/o monitor or optical drive. I found out that my WP12 won't load, I failed to read the fine print when I bought my Dell seems it's an OEM only good with a Dell replacement PC. I have an old WP9 cd that I hope will load and work on the Lenovo so I can access my WP documents otherwise I'll have to keep the old beast just for WP.

I don't like Win 8.1 at first use, I wonder if Classic Shell will work with 8.1?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:17 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
I bought Start8 for $4.99. Works just like classic shell and have it on 8.1.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:38 AM  

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I got the Lenovo Q190 and it appears that it will do all I need to do for about $185 w/o monitor or optical drive. I found out that my WP12 won't load, I failed to read the fine print when I bought my Dell seems it's an OEM only good with a Dell replacement PC. I have an old WP9 cd that I hope will load and work on the Lenovo so I can access my WP documents otherwise I'll have to keep the old beast just for WP.

I don't like Win 8.1 at first use, I wonder if Classic Shell will work with 8.1?
I downloaded Classic Shell - free - and it works just great on my 8.1
Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 PM  

So far I can't figure anyway to get emails downloaded from my ISP. With both WIn 98 and Win XP I was guided through email set up via dialog screens.

My WP 9 loaded but wouldn't run so I guess it isn't compatible with 8.1. I'll either have to keep the beast or purchase a WP upgrade from Corel.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 AM  

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
So far I can't figure anyway to get emails downloaded from my ISP. With both WIn 98 and Win XP I was guided through email set up via dialog screens.

My WP 9 loaded but wouldn't run so I guess it isn't compatible with 8.1. I'll either have to keep the beast or purchase a WP upgrade from Corel.
What specifically is the problem "downloading" emails? Doesn't your ISP have an email service? If so, why not just cut and past to a WP program?

Or, do what I did. Get another email account from Google or Yahoo.

And, what is WP9?
Old 01-14-2015, 02:18 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
What specifically is the problem "downloading" emails? Doesn't your ISP have an email service? If so, why not just cut and past to a WP program?

Or, do what I did. Get another email account from Google or Yahoo.

And, what is WP9?
My ISP has webmail but for some reason it won't open all attachments plus it doesn't support richtext so forwards have all those annoying <<<<. I could do the cut and paste once I get an operable WP pogram. WP9 and WP12 were my previous WordPerfect WP programs. Strangely, WP7 seems to be the one advertised as 8.1 compatible (I don't know what happened to WP8-WP12) Amazon has it available in a retail box for $49.99.

I want a local email vice cloud based so may try Thunderbird.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:33 AM  
Administrator

WA
Consider going with a later version of WP - I think X7 is backwards compatible http://www.wordperfect.com/us/product/home-student/

After WP 12 was released they switched to X, X1, etc.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:34 PM  

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur. I still use my AOL e-mail, but also have a G-mail account as a back up. It's hard to switch when you have 300+ persons who are familiar with my old account name.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.