Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!
I just can't turn down great old kitchen knives and I look for them
at "The Salvation Army Stores", "Goodwill Stores", backyard sales,
and "Flea Markets"......
For your information, the "Stores" don't want them because they said they are a danger to children,
so they may have them in a backroom and don't know how to get rid of them.
I have asked for them and then gave them a "token" amount to carry them off and they were glad to have me do it....
Here are some of my "trophies" from one of my "bulk" purchases........

We have a couple guys from our Church that go to Haiti and help with building projects over there each year.
I boxed up about an hundred knives and let them take them over there.......they were gladly accepted and really appreciated....
I plan to do it again this coming March when they are scheduled to go again........don't think I could find a better use
for them....those folks live back in the mountains and are really poor....

And, I keep my family supplied with "quality" knives......
I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-my-knife-drawer-.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-img_1832.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-img_0978.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-img_0974.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-left-hunting-knife-jc-henckels-chef-made-germany-my-money-back-righ-here-lol-.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-just-few-more.jpg 

Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM  
Supporting Member

Here's more photos....I try to separate them and accumulate "sets" when they are
available...folks get rid of them for all kinds or reasons, I guess........
I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-3-4-jc-henckels-steak-knives-lying-left-have-fourth-.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-all-farberware-foreground.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-img_0971.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-just-few-more.jpg 

Old 12-19-2011, 04:03 PM  
Supporting Member

Have you ever stopped by the "Knife" displays at your local store and
priced a "quality" knife lately??.........
I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-knives-%2415-purchas-box-3-.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-knives-%2415-box-5-.jpg 

Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I cook and use a Wolf Gang santoku set.

I keep them sharp, they work well. I still keep my french style knives but as I don't cook commercially any more I don't keep an eye out for them.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 PM  
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I cook and use a Wolf Gang santoku set.

I keep them sharp, they work well. I still keep my french style knives but as I don't cook commercially any more I don't keep an eye out for them.
Is this your knives.........good looking................

Amazon.com: Masterchef Santoku Knives, Set of 3, Black: Kitchen & Dining

I like this brand of knives, if you make sure they are from "Germany".......

Amazon.com: J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 2-Piece Hollow Edge Santoku Set: Kitchen & Dining

Check the costs of some of these.......
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_ki...xtbin=Henckels
Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM  
Supporting Member

Some good information to help purchase a quality knife ........

http://www.j-a-henckels.com/en-US/Sortiment--sortiment/Cutlery--knives.html

Quote:
Recognizing a good knife

Features of quality knives:
At first glance it is difficult to distinguish a high-quality knife from an inferior one. The essential characteristics are revealed only in regular use. One thing is for certain, though:
J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL stands for the high knife quality and exceptional values.

These features are characteristic for quality knives:

1. Precise workmanship
The parts of the knife have been jointlessly assembled. There is no seam on the transition between bolster and handle. This is particularly important for hygienic reasons. Neither the blade nor the handle show any irregularities or burrs where bacteria could settle.

2. Surface finish
The blade has a finely ground surface that has first been ground and then refined to get its compressed surface. This is a sign of top quality surface finish.

3. Safety
Handle and bolster have been designed to provide a secure grip from which the hand cannot slip. An ergonomically designed handle and the right weight permit safe, tireless use.

4. Cutting edge retention
The cutting edge retention determines the period of use in which the blade retains its cutting properties. A good knife is sharp for a prolonged period.

5. Corrosion resistance
The more finely the surface of the blade is ground or polished, the more resistant to rust it will be.

6. Dishwasher compatibility - but not recommended by J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL

Quote:
BASIC SAFETY MEASURES

KEEP KNIVES SHARP
A sharp knife is safer than a dull one because it requires less pressure in cutting. The knife will not slip as easily and your hand will not tire as quickly.

USE THE CORRECT SIZE AND TYPE OF KNIFE FOR THE JOB
Hold the knife firmly in your hand and cut away from the body. Use a wood or poly-ethylene cutting board.

Acrylic, ceramic and similar hard surfaces are tough on a knife edge because they do not "give" with the edge.

MAKE SURE THAT KNIVES LYING ON FLAT SURFACES ARE NEVER COVERED WITH TOWELS, NAPKINS OR OTHER MATERIALS
After handling a knife, lay it down in a cleared area, with the blade and point away from the body, and away from the edge of the table or cutting area.

DO NOT REACH BLINDLY FOR A KNIFE
Reach deliberately for the handle. When handing a knife to another person, do so with the handle toward him or her.

NEVER TRY TO CATCH A FALLING KNIFE!

SHARP KNIVES SHOULD BE WASHED SEPARATELY
Do not wash with other utensils. Each knife should be dried separately, always keeping the sharp cutting edge away from the hand. Dry knife blades from the back to the cutting edge.

DO NOT STORE KNIVES LOOSE IN A DRAWER!
Keep knives stored in a knife block or an in-drawer knife tray when not in use. If using a magnetic holder, make sure magnets are strong enough to hold knives securely in place and that the knives are clean. A greasy knife will not adhere properly to a magnetic rack.

KEEP KNIVES SAFELY OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN

NEVER TEST THE SHARPNESS OF A KNIFE BY RUNNING YOUR FINGER ALONG THE EDGE!
Right knife - right job

J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL :: Product Range :: Cutlery :: Right knife - right job :: Page
How to sharpen a knife?

J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL :: Product Range :: Cutlery :: How to sharpen a knife? :: Page
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM  
Supporting Member

Here's where you can get an idea of the costs of kitchen cutlery........

Chef's Knives

Kitchen Knives and Cutlery - Knifecenter.com

Heres's a great link to help you identify "kitchen gadgets", should you run across something and don't know what it is......I do it all the time.....just click the item on the link and it will open the category..

http://www.chefsresource.com/tools.html

An example:

Fruit & Vegetable Tools

http://www.chefsresource.com/fruit-vegetable-tools.html
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberryeagle View Post
Is this your knives.........good looking................

Amazon.com: Masterchef Santoku Knives, Set of 3, Black: Kitchen & Dining

I like this brand of knives, if you make sure they are from "Germany".......

Amazon.com: J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 2-Piece Hollow Edge Santoku Set: Kitchen & Dining

Check the costs of some of these.......
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_ki...xtbin=Henckels
That's them but I have four to the set.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
That's quite the collection there teaberry. I will have to keep a lookout at garage sales this summer.

This is my favorite knife. Sharp as a razor and used extensively.
I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-dsc01101.jpg 

I'll bet that you don't collect "kitchen knives"....I DO! Check mine!-dsc01408.jpg 

Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 AM  
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
That's quite the collection there teaberry. I will have to keep a lookout at garage sales this summer.

This is my favorite knife. Sharp as a razor and used extensively.
Thanks....I have fun doing this and trying to get them for the best price......
and, what's pictured is only the tip of the iceberg...that's only one purchase.....
I have many others stored away which I haven't photographed.....I only clicked
these since they were readily available......

That's a great knife......what brand is it?
And, in your shopping and also, if you have any "Thrift Stores" (Ie; Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.!),
be sure to check there....and, if they are not on display, ask if they have them stored somewhere........
they give you great prices to get them off their hands....feel it's unsafe for general shoppers to be
handling them....good luck........you may become a collector, too..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!