Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2019, 01:15 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
new fall 2019 winter 2020 shows

I binge-watched TV last week to check out some of the new series, all of it on cable Primetime on Demand.
All Rise, 9 p.m. Mondays, CBS. A new courtroom drama. It was a pleasant enough show, not violent or anything. I'll keep watching for now.
Bluff City Law, 10 p.m Mondays, NBC. A new lawyer drama/family soap opera starring Jimmy Smits as the father who owns the law firm and his daughter who dislikes him coming to work for him. I'll keep watching for now.
Bob Loves Abishola, 8:30 p.m. Mondays, CBS. A compression sock company owners becomes infatuated at with a Nigerian nurse at a local hospital. There were a few laughs and the characters were cute so I'll keep watching for now.
Carol's Second Act, 9:30 p.m. Thursdays, CBS. A middle-aged mother is a new physician intern at a hospital. Not too bad. I'll keep watching for now.
Evil, 10 p.m. Thursdays, CBS. A woman is hired by the Catholic Church to investigate unexplainable phenomena happening to people. Creepy. Glad I watched it in the morning. I'll try another few episodes and if I get totally freaked out, I won't watch any more.
Prodigal Son, 9 p.m. Mondays, Fox. The son of a serial killer is now a detective. Gruesome and very creepy. I lasted five minutes.
Schooled, 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, ABC. I guess this is supposed to be set in the 1990s. It's about the relationships between teachers at a public high school, one of whom wants to imitate Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds. Boring and annoying. Will not return.
Single Parents, 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, ABC. Stereotypically self-centered and shallow millennials and their neglected children. Will not return.
Sunnyside, 9:30 p.m. Thursdays, NBC. An ousted Brooklyn council member starts teaching immigrants about America so that they can become citizens. It was a pleasant little show and I will return.
The Unicorn, 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, CBS. Friends try setting up a widowed father on computer dating. See Single Parents comments.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:21 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
and then there was Perfect Harmony

I loved loved LOVED Perfect Harmony! I didn't want the episode to end. I was grinning through most of it. I can't wait to see it again and hear more singing.
It's the story of a Princeton music professor who takes over the Protestant church choir in a small town in Kentucky. The pilot looks like it was filmed on location. The characters talked about the Cumberlands, Moonbow and I-75, and I saw mountains in the background. Those details in and of themselves impressed me, because only someone who was familiar with the state would know these details. Not the stereotypes that you normally hear on TV.
Perfect Harmony airs at 8:30 p.m. Thursdays on NBC. I hope it survives! The show may sound like Glee and Rise but it doesn't have the depressing storylines. It reminds me more of Sister Act.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:20 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
I found "The Unicorn" boring. "All Rise" was interesting. "Carol's Second Act" was so-so. "Bob loves Abishola" was pretty good.
Maybe I am just getting bored with TV.
Fell asleep watching "Evil". So similar to dozens of horror movies.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:41 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
evil

I didn't watch Evil at its airtime, 10 p.m. Thursdays. I watched it on Primetime on Demand during the day.
I am glad I did. If I'd watched it right before going to bed, it would have given me nightmares.
I've watched 1 1/2 episodes and won't watch any more. Way too creepy for my taste.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:39 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
Nancy Drew

There were so many things wrong with the new Nancy Drew pilot on the CW that my head was spinning.
The town's name has been changed to Horseshoe Bay. The police chief didn't follow due process in questioning suspects, and didn't look for any other suspects. All the characters were sex-crazed and looked like they needed to bathe. Nancy broke into a house and stole an item. Where was Hannah? In an hour time slot, the episode was 35 minutes long with 25 minutes of commercials, most of them promos for other CW series.
The only two things I saw that I liked were that all the characters "looked" right, with Nancy having her famous titian/reddish-blonde hair, and it was nice to see Pamela Sue Martin again.
Obviously, I won't be returning.
The children's movie I saw last spring about Nancy Drew was much, much better.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:31 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Gabby Duran

Gabby Duran and the Unsittables is the latest Disney Channel pre-teen awkward comedy.
The show is a children's version of Men in Black. Gabby has to babysit the children of various aliens on Earth, and has to keep it secret. Gabby's school principal is the alien who made her do this, and it is interfering with her personal life, and no one seems to care. Very annoying characters.
What is is with current sitcoms and the abundance of annoying people?
Old 10-25-2019, 07:20 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
sunnyside cancelled

Strike one for me:
After only three weeks, NBC has already cancelled Sunnyside.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:54 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
the oval

I didn't make it even through 5 minutes of the new BET series The Oval. It's another show about a fictional president of the United States. What is it with series opening with crazy sex scenes?
Old 10-27-2019, 03:43 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
What do you think of "Bob (heart) Abishola?
Old 10-29-2019, 10:59 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
What do you think of "Bob (heart) Abishola?
This show gets better each week. Last night's episode was really good. Very well written.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!