Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
restaurants you may not know about

I am starting a new thread here mentioning the various family-owned restaurants I know about. This is the first batch of them.

Big Art?s BBQ Grille, 2796 Struble Road, Colerain Township; (513) 825-4811. This restaurant is in a run-down strip center with a horrendous parking lot in a questionable neighborhood. The interior is 1970s basement family room. HOWEVER, this place is ALWAYS packed and the barbecue is TO DIE FOR!

Chandler?s Restaurant, 6135 Cleves-Warsaw Pike, Delhi; (513) 941-0823. My new favorite restaurant! It?s in a strip center between Ebenezer Road and Western Hills Retirement Village. From the outside, you?d think it was small, but it is much larger inside, with pleasant ambient lighting, tan carpeting and walls, and comfortable dining room tables and chairs. The sandwiches are tasty and filling but light and don?t sit on your stomach. I fell in love with this place!

Kreimer?s Bier Haus, 6052 State Route 128, Miamitown; (513) 353-2168. This place started out as a small bar and has expanded to three times its size with much outdoor seating along the Great Miami River. There is live music every night. The sandwiches are very good and I love the potato pancakes. The paneling is almost black inside and even during the day it?s dim in the outdoor area with its dark brown paneling. During the summer there is almost an ?amusement park? atmosphere.
http://www.bierhauswest.net/

Price Hill Chili, 4920 Glenway Ave., Price Hill; (513) 471-9507. Cincinnati?s most famous hole-in-the-wall. Campaigning politicians (including Dick Cheney) like to stop here. The food is good but not great. Despite its name, it serves breakfast all day and sandwiches from lunch to late evening. Chili is only one of its entrees. What is it with dark 1970s paneling and poor lighting?
http://www.pricehillchili.com/

Sayler Park Restaurant & Tavern, 6344 Gracely Drive, Sayler Park; (513) 941-7777. The sandwiches are okay, not great, kinda heavy on the stomach, but very big. Service is slow. Very dark paneling and little inside lighting. Clientele is mostly males in jeans who smoke and like words starting with ?F.? So why do I go there? It?s four doors down from me and sometimes I just want someone else to do the cooking!

Shamrock Sports Bar & Grille, 251 Main St., Addyston; (513) 941-8277. The quesadillas are delicious. Despite the restaurant?s name, there really aren?t a lot of TVs there. The place is busy even on a Monday evening. I?d say the decor is 1940s schoolroom. It?s got black variegated linoleum tiles on the floor. The upper halves of the walls are a dark emerald green, and there are carved wooden chair rails between the upper and lower halves of the wall, making the walls look like chalkboards.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
one closed

Sayler Park Tavern closed in February and is for sale.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
tom & jerry's

Tom & Jerry's Sports Bar and Grill, 5060 Crookshank Road, Covedale, 451-1763.
A friend and I met for lunch on a Sunday afternoon. Both her hamburger (with everything on it) and my turkey club sandwich were delicious. My friend thought the food was inexpensive. Even though it was 2 p.m. on a Sunday, it was already Happy Hour.
There were a number of people sitting at the bar watching a game on the big screen televisions, and they (the humans, not the equipment) were all very pleasant.
It was dark inside but not hole-in-the-wall dark. We were both very impressed with Tom & Jerry's and will be back.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:51 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Refuge Coffee Bar

Refuge Coffee Bar, 5010 Glenway Ave. in Covedale, is wonderful!
http://www.refugecoffeebar.org/
It's well-lit, with lots of books. Inexpensive. The chicken salad sandwich I ate was delicious. The entertainment was very good. It was a boy from Wyoming High School who played acoustic guitar and ukelele and sang contemporary soft songs. I recognized one he did from Coldplay.
I will have to go back. I've already recommended Refuge to my mother.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Patrick's Family Restaurant

Patrick's Family Restaurant moved into the bank building at 4100 State Route 128 in Hooven across from Kroger a few months ago. I went there for lunch on a Saturday and the place was packed!
I got a deli sandwich with ham and turkey plus a side order of delicious onion rings. I couldn't finish everything.
I don't know if the service was slow because the place was so buy, or if an employee didn't show up, or if the service is always slow. That was the only drawback to Patrick's.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Rohrer's Tavern is closing

Rohrer's Tavern is closing in North Bend. I always thought it did a good business, particularly Fridays in Lent because of its fish sandwiches.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/newi...close/7980485/
Old 07-05-2014, 07:21 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
k-dot's

K-Dots on Westbourne Drive in Bridgetown (down the street from Western Bowl) is the latest restaurant in the old Pizza Hut building.
We met there for a late breakfast on Independence Day, July 4. Apparently everyone else had the same idea, because the place was busy and the unoccupied tables needed to be cleaned off. K-Dot's serves breakfast all day and we both ordered omelets, which were delicious.
My only complaint about the restaurant is, of all things, the acoustics. It's hard to have a conversation in there because you can hear everyone else. I don't mean "drunk" or "obnoxious" loud, I mean "elderly and can't hear very well and so talk louder" loud.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
giovanni's family restaurant

I lived 5 minutes from Giovanni's Family Restaurant, 4050 North Bend Road, Cheviot, for many years and never went into it until yesterday. It's probably because all of the little family-owned restaurants in Cheviot never looked appealing from the outside.
A bunch of us met there for dinner last Saturday and everything was delicious. It's well lit inside, but it is definitely a diner. The service takes a while because everything is made from scratch and prepared for you as you wait. I had the eggplant parmigiana and ate every bite.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:59 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
django's

We met for brunch on New Year's Day at Django's Western Taco, 4046 Hamilton Ave., in Northside. It's a small but cheery place with lots of windows, which were needed because it's been bitterly cold outside. Our waiter was funny.
We both had breakfast with fried eggs on top, but any resemblance to breakfast ended there. Both of us had delicious but filling meals that we could not finished.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:49 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
Snow's Tavern

My mother is the one who has been raving about Snow's Lakeside Tavern. I had never heard of it. It is on Dry Ridge Road in Colerain Township, next to Danube Schwabien.
http://snowslakesidetavern.com/
Barb and I went there for an early dinner Saturday. What a lovely place! I drove right past it at first, thinking it would be a dark rinky dink bar, but it is a huge new building and I figured it was an insurance or medical office!
The sandwiches were delicious and the view outside of the little lake was wonderful. There are huge koi in the lake, not little goldfish.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Bookmark this Page!