Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Dallas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM  

Dallas, TX
BBQing in Apartments

I've only been out here in Dallas for a couple years now so I don't really know how strict the no BBQs on the apartment patio regulations are. Every apartment complex i've lived in has said "no BBQs on the patio, they have to be 15ft from the building" or something like that. But also every apartment i've lived in i've seen dozens of people with BBQs on their patios/balconys.

I've really wanted to BBQ recently (I used to live in California where BBQ is a year round deal) and finally have the money to buy a moderately priced BBQ but I'm concerned that if it bother's a neighbor that they will report it to the Apt Mgmt and i'll have to keep it put away (even though in my general area i've seen at least 3-4 patios with BBQs on them).

Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM  

Austin, Texas
BBQing in Apartments

By BBQ are you talking grills? charcoal or gas? I think there's a possibility of a fire hazard, but I'm not sure. Most charcoal grills need to have an airway in the bottom and will allow hot ash to fall down through it. Some balconies are made of wood or possibly paper or other flammable objects are stored on patios - you can see the problem there. Gas grills can inadvertently be left on without the flame and could seep into your or a neighbor's apartment... another problem. To avoid liabilities of any kind, I'd adhere to the rules set by the apartment complex, regardless of what others do.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 AM  

Dallas, TX
gas grill, first floor, concrete patio floor. Just wondering if anyone else who lives or has lived in an apartment out here has any experience.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 PM  

McKinney, TX
I saw a electric smoker by a company called Masterbuilt. It might be a good option for those trying to stay compliant.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
All the apartments I've lived at are very strict about it, they require you to carry your grill out to a common area.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM  

dallas, Texas
I have the Masterbuilt electric smoker, no flame on it, I dont think it would be illegal.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM  

Arlington, Texas
I had a gas grill and cooked quickly (and at night). Never had a problem. If someone were to call, I'd have it shutdown and no smoke coming out by the time anyone got there, so....

the fine is probably 2 days pay if you get caught (what isn't these days?), so be careful!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM  
Crew Chief

Denison, TX
Every apartment I've been in had no grilling/BBQ rules... but 95% of tenants had them.

Last place a massive fat fire on the balcony blew out one of the living room windows - never rustled a feather.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM  

Garland, TX
Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see, but I have lived in apts. for the last 10 years and was told that if a fire marshall happened to get wind of someone with an open flame on an apartment patio, the fine would be steep. I would check with the fire dept. for a definitive answer.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 AM  

Dallas, TX
Talked with the head of maintenance who's friendly and pretty honest and he basically said if something bad happens its a big deal and that sometimes if they see somebody they will tell them to put it away but it sounds like they don't really do much about it.
I asked about an electric smoker and he said if there's no open flame its not a big deal.
So i might just go with the smoker option.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Dallas
Bookmark this Page!