Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2010, 06:17 PM  

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Need a Keg for Brewing

Hello all,

I am in need of a Stainless 1/2 Keg so I can make a keggle. I have a Miller Light rubber coated keg that is just sitting around and I will be more than willing to trade it since I can't use it. Please Help!!

Old 12-12-2010, 09:45 PM  
ALF

Houston, Texas
Dont throw away the rubber coated keg. You can use it as a mash tun.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 AM  

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF View Post
Really? How? I already have a cooler MLT, would the rubber keg be an upgrade?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 AM  

Richmond, VA
Quote:
Can you give me some pointers on using a rubber coated keg as a mash tun?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:23 PM  
ALF

Houston, Texas
The first thing to do is cut a hole in the top. With all the rubber coated on the outside you may not want to use an angle grinder. I converted a rubber coated keg quite a few years ago and I think I used a drill and a sawzall to cut the hole in the top. As for the size of the top hole, you may want to create the hole the same size as a pot cover you already have.

Now for the valve and fittings. Go to Bargain Fittings and get a weldless bulkhead fitting kit. You may have to go with a cooler kit. It depends on the width of th e keg wall. Im thinking the rubber coating is about 1/4"....you should be able to get all ss for $28.00

As for the false bottom, there are alot of different options you can got with....hope that helps
Old 12-15-2010, 04:33 AM  

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Rubber MLT

ALF,

Are you heating up strike water and adding it to the MLT and then using a RIMS to keep up the temp. If not does the rubber outside do a good job of keeping the water at temp? I already have all the hardware to do this conversion, I just wonder if my cooler would do a better job at maintaining temp.

Joey
Old 12-15-2010, 06:17 PM  
ALF

Houston, Texas
Yes, add heated water (200 deg) to the MLT. I usually will just boil the water needed and add to the mlt, grab a beer and wait for the strike water to cool to strike temp. By the time the the water is at strike temp the keg will be pre-heated. The keg will hold its temp more than long enough for conversion. The only time I have had problems keeping the mash temp up is when it was very cold outside.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:08 AM  

try craigslist, thats where I got all but 1 of mine
Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM  

Portsmouth, Va
I could never find the kegs, so I went with 60qt Alum pots. One more needed for my brew station to be completed!!! Need insulation for my Mash Tun. Any sugestions?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 AM  

Richmond, VA
Quote:
The first thing to do is cut a hole in the top. With all the rubber coated on the outside you may not want to use an angle grinder. I converted a rubber coated keg quite a few years ago and I think I used a drill and a sawzall to cut the hole in the top. As for the size of the top hole, you may want to create the hole the same size as a pot cover you already have.

Now for the valve and fittings. Go to Bargain Fittings and get a weldless bulkhead fitting kit. You may have to go with a cooler kit. It depends on the width of th e keg wall. Im thinking the rubber coating is about 1/4"....you should be able to get all ss for $28.00

As for the false bottom, there are alot of different options you can got with....hope that helps
What would you use to create the hole for the fittings, and what about a flase bottom?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.