Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2010, 04:05 PM  

Roanoke Rapids, NC
I like good ole' pressure treated pine for the framing. It's not a great choice for the decking.

Wood however looks better than anything else. Do some research about different wood species and how they hold up in the area you move to. PT lumber will be the cheapest but it will be replaced several times over the life of the deck.

When I build decks I over build the frame. I like to be able to bounce on a deck and feel no movement. In my experience, this requires; heavier than needed shorter joists and extra girders.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM  

Ottawa, ON
Decks are fairly easy to build - but be sure to check building codes in your area as to whether or not you need a permit for it. In most cases you will most likely need one so be careful. These days I'd go with pressure treated for the frame and some of the new manufactured material for the decking - the stuff that looks like wood boards. This combination should easily hold up to the weather for 20 years if not 30.

Another thing to check with local building codes is how many vertical supports you need per sq ft. Sometimes this will change depending on whether or not you plant them in the ground with cement, or use the deck blocks. Typically speaking, with the surface-mount deck blocks you need twice as many vertical supports (if not more) as you so if you plant your veritcals into the ground with poured cement. And if you do have to plant them, make sure you know how deep. In our area where we get brutal cold winters, they have to be pretty deep (over 3 feet)

Old 12-02-2010, 01:46 PM  

I can't think of this thread without thinking of this skit!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 PM  

New York
I built two in the last year and a half... One was a small on on the back of the house, and the other was a freestanding deck around a inground pool. It was a lot of work but I loved it!!! With a deck attached to the house one thing you want to study up on is flashing for the header. Get it wrong, your not only going to rot the deck, but the house also. Also you want to make sure its solidly attached to the structure. A hand full of nails is not the hot ticket. You realy want through bolts if you can. You want it solid to the house!! As for wood, I used just normal PT pine. Any aeras that contacted the ground I used the PT that was rated for it. Most lumberyard PT isnt. Also you want to research the effects of the new treating prosses, and how they react with hardwere.

Here the two are. I have lot of other pic's of them also if you want to see more of how they went together.
Anyone build a deck?-picture-080.jpg 

Anyone build a deck?-dsc01753.jpg 

Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 PM  

I really like the balusters! Did you paint them eventually or leave them natural? How are they holding up in the weather?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Every deck I've ever built has been on sonotube posts. I notice lots of people are using deck blocks for their posts around here. Anyone else have experience with those and how are they holding up for you.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:33 PM  

It all depends on the climate. I've built on deck blocks, but the termites usually cause them to be replaced too quickly. Sonotubes are great, but really time consuming IMHO.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
I have built many decks over the years..

This is my current deck here in Texas. Built around 2001,I believe that it is 12X16 (crs). The wood is treated radius boards.

I started out leaving it natural no stain, the next year I had to apply stain due to the hot sun down here. Two years later I used a paint stain, that lasted another two years, then I used a porch and deck paint. I coat it every other year. The pressure treated wood is holding up very well considering the sun and dry down here.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM  

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I really like the balusters! Did you paint them eventually or leave them natural? How are they holding up in the weather?
Thanks. For now they are just plan. I am planning on using a white stain this summer on them, and seal the whole deck.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 AM  

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Every deck I've ever built has been on sonotube posts. I notice lots of people are using deck blocks for their posts around here. Anyone else have experience with those and how are they holding up for you.

Local codes will tell you. Eaven the small deck I built had to have 4' deep footings becouse it is atttached to the house. The good thing is its rock solid!!!!

The pool deck is on pier blocks... Ill have to wait till summer to answer how they hold up.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.