Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 AM  

Greenville, SC
Drugtest prior to recieving unemployment benefits

I think it makes good sense!

Unemployed May Face Drug Test - Local News - Greenville, SC - msnbc.com

SC Governor Looking To Test People For Drugs

GREENVILLE, S.C. — WYFF 4.com

The governor of South Carolina wants to drug test people who are unemployed before she gives them any unemployment benefits.

Governor Nikki Haley says, "I love the idea of drug testing because I think it brings accountability to the process."

WYFF News 4 caught up with Governor Haley at a tea party event last Friday.

Supporters say it would be better for the state to pay $10 for a drug test... rather than $20,000 in state benefits.

But what will it cost the tax payers?

"We are still in the preliminary phase. What we are trying to do is bring accountability efforts to any sort of benefits plan. One of the things we are looking at. Is drug testing something feasible and is it practical to do in our state? We owe it to ourselves to look into it." said Haley.

Victoria Middleton with the ACLU-SC said, "the organization believes that this kind of sweeping, suspicionless mandatory drug testing is discriminatory, an invasion of privacy and a waste of our limited state funds."

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads