Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
My brother has a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with 290,000 miles on it. Other than changing his oil with synthetic oil every 7500 miles, three set of brakes, and one set of wiper blades, he has not touched it. As a matter of fact, he is thinking of selling it and have asked him to allow me to place an offer on it.
Obviously, you've forgotten tires, at least 3 sets plus the originals, and more likely he's on his 5th set. That's about $900 to $2000 in expenses that you've overlooked. Suppose that this truck belonged to that young person just striking out on his own, and he made the same mistake. That's $900 to $2000 in expenses he wouldn't have planned on.

No $50 hub bearings? No $30 tie rod ends? No $30 U-joints? No $100 alternator? No $15 serpentine belt? No $100 water pump? No $50 alignments? No $300 exhaust system? No radiator fluid, brake fluid, transmission fluid/gear oil. Is it a manual transmission? If so, it's likely on at least its second clutch, if not third.

Yes, a properly maintained vehicle can put on a hell of a lot of miles. But are you going to try to tell me that the maintenance required to drive 290,000 miles is just a couple hundred dollars?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
Well I do not lie. I have shown you the car and mileage. I have all my receipts but that would take more time then this is worth to post them. Besides you just want to call someone you don't know names with no proof to back you up. You would just say I didn't post them all so there is no way to prove I am telling the truth. Your explanation of why is full of holes just like your brain. Would my claims to have just gotten lucky and my mechanical experience all be assumed by your imaginary example? Some kid will think he can put brakes on his car because I can? All I have claimed is my 300 dollar car has worked out well for me and it's the truth. Your the one trying to make some big deal out of this.

Are you a new car salesman by chance? Is that what this is about?
Your mechanical experience is worthless without parts. How are you acquiring the parts? Suggesting that you paid $300 for this vehicle, then performed no maintenance save a distributor, tires, and a relay is completely dishonest. You suggest you're just lucky, and that you're a good mechanic. That somehow, the essential parts on your vehicle are simply exempt from wear and tear; that while a number of non-essential parts have failed over 7 years and 280,000 miles, none of the essentials has ever failed in such a way as to require replacement. Even though you abuse this vehicle by refusing to even change the oil.

Occam's Razor suggests a simpler solution: You're a liar.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 PM  

Oh yeah, I forgot to add tires.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to add tires.
I have no reason to doubt the basic facts of your claim. What is his vehicle worth right now? Probably somewhere between $500 and $2000. That vehicle started as brand new, with a brand-new price tag, and drove 290,000 miles with minimal maintenance. That's pretty damn good, but not that far out of the norm.

The liar's Geo allegedly started out as a $300 vehicle before proceeding on its mystical quest.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM  
American

Tires...used 15 bucks each from a friends tire store. Man you just can't get away from everything has to be new can you? Actually the last set came from a car I striped and sold for scrap. I made money that time. Face it you have no clue and I will even go along with saying to young people my way is not for everyone. You have to know what your doing. And like I said in the case of this car...just dumb luck. I know better then to let maintenance go and had I known this car would last me this long I would have taken better care of it. I bought a 300 dollar car intending to drive it into the ground. Why it is still running like it is is hard to believe. But I already conceded that...your just a prick.

The only claim I intended originally was that I have gotten by better with used cars and trucks then I would have with new stuff. And that is true. Had I bought a new dump truck I would have missed payments when things were slow and lost it....how the Sam hill do you get I did the wrong thing? I bought 2 houses 67 acres of ground and started the first drywall recycling business in my state with that old truck. No new truck could have done more.

The only reason you can call me a liar and still be standing is this is the Internet...easy to be an a hole when your safe miles away ant it?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:14 PM  

MY G/F wanted to keep the mileage down on her Saturn Ion and thought it would be money wise to instead put the miles on my Lexus. I chuckled about her "throw away" car but when they quoted $1900 to fix the a/c on her $1800 car, she sold it to CarMax. (Got a killer price from them BTW)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
Tires...used 15 bucks each from a friends tire store. Man you just can't get away from everything has to be new can you? Actually the last set came from a car I striped and sold for scrap. I made money that time. Face it you have no clue and I will even go along with saying to young people my way is not for everyone. You have to know what your doing. And like I said in the case of this car...just dumb luck. I know better then to let maintenance go and had I known this car would last me this long I would have taken better care of it. I bought a 300 dollar car intending to drive it into the ground. Why it is still running like it is is hard to believe. But I already conceded that...your just a prick.

The only claim I intended originally was that I have gotten by better with used cars and trucks then I would have with new stuff. And that is true. Had I bought a new dump truck I would have missed payments when things were slow and lost it....how the Sam hill do you get I did the wrong thing? I bought 2 houses 67 acres of ground and started the first drywall recycling business in my state with that old truck. No new truck could have done more.

The only reason you can call me a liar and still be standing is this is the Internet...easy to be an a hole when your safe miles away ant it?
I have not discussed your dump truck. I have nothing to say about it. All I'm talking about is your alleged Geo, and the lies you've told about it.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM  
American

Well I know I told the truth and that's all that matters to me.

Have a safe Holiday.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 AM  

Greenville, SC
Man, all this back and forth about who's lying and whose car cost the least in maintenance.... Well here's what I see. Someone buys a new car, let's say a $25000 dollar car.... They drive it off the lot and the vehicle has probably depreciated AT LEAST the amount I have spent on my truck in the past 5 years.

Oh, another Tacoma with over 300000 miles on it. And I could probably sell it for about $3000 dollars now. Spent $3500 on it TEN years ago. I am not sure what I have spent on maintenance but I can guess....
I have been given about 3 sets of lightly used tires and my buddy mounted them all for free.... I replaced the clutch and exhaust manifold when I bought it. Done the brakes maybe 2-3 times (probably less).... Replaced one axle seal.... Couple of gaskets (valve cover, ign)... I don't know, maybe $800 bucks in parts over time(VERY rough guess...probably less)??? Okay, so I spent $3500 on it 10 years ago, could sell it for probably $3000, spent maybe $900 bucks on parts.... Oh, and changed the oil every 6-7k miles...(You would likely do oil changes on a new car too.....)
So, in 10 years I am out $1400 over 10 years... Oh heck... Just to make you nay sayers happy.... let's double or triple that... And say I am out $4200 over 10 years..... I imagine you lose that much in depreciation ALONE pretty quick in a new car......

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Man, all this back and forth about who's lying and whose car cost the least in maintenance.... Well here's what I see. Someone buys a new car, let's say a $25000 dollar car.... They drive it off the lot and the vehicle has probably depreciated AT LEAST the amount I have spent on my truck in the past 5 years.

Oh, another Tacoma with over 300000 miles on it. And I could probably sell it for about $3000 dollars now. Spent $3500 on it TEN years ago. I am not sure what I have spent on maintenance but I can guess....
I have been given about 3 sets of lightly used tires and my buddy mounted them all for free.... I replaced the clutch and exhaust manifold when I bought it. Done the brakes maybe 2-3 times (probably less).... Replaced one axle seal.... Couple of gaskets (valve cover, ign)... I don't know, maybe $800 bucks in parts over time(VERY rough guess...probably less)??? Okay, so I spent $3500 on it 10 years ago, could sell it for probably $3000, spent maybe $900 bucks on parts.... Oh, and changed the oil every 6-7k miles...(You would likely do oil changes on a new car too.....)
So, in 10 years I am out $1400 over 10 years... Oh heck... Just to make you nay sayers happy.... let's double or triple that... And say I am out $4200 over 10 years..... I imagine you lose that much in depreciation ALONE pretty quick in a new car......
The proper metric is the total cost-per-mile, not the market value of the vehicle at any particular time, nor the time period you own it. Total cost-per-mile.

A brand new car can be expected to be pretty reliable for 250,000 miles. A car with 125,000 on the odometer can be expected to be pretty reliable for another 125,000 miles. A car with 250,000 miles on the odometer cannot be expected to be reliable. You're free to pick whatever end mileage you want; the point is only that whatever mileage you pick, it applies to both the new and the used vehicle.

That new car will incur the same expenses from 125,000 to 250,000 as a used car purchased with 125,000 on the odometer. If this used car is half the sticker price of that new car, it's a wash. If it's more than half the sticker price, you would have been better off with the new car. If it's less than half, the used car is the better deal. If the used car is beyond the life you expect from it, it's never the better option.

There's nothing magical about it. Can you find 125,000 mile cars for less than half the sticker price of an equivalent new-car? Certainly. But not always. And there is the fact that you have no idea how the previous owner treated them before you got it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.