Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Ok, let's try this a different way. What right do I have to tell your mother what she can and can't do with her own uterus? Explain to me why I - and every other man in the country - should have any authority over her baby-maker.
The uterus is not the subject, the subject is that little baby which doesn't even share its mother's blood supply. Abortionists balk at having the mother view an ultrasound image of her baby as it might humanize her decision.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM  

My only two cents I will add is that I also believe this should be left up to the woman to decide, since it is her body. I myself was involved with an abortion some 40 years ago and to this day, I regret the decision.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM  

Greenville, SC
I think that if we are going to endorse abortion (which I think is by definition irresponsible) it would be irresponsible to not inform the woman fully as to what she is chosing to do. This includes developmental information and viewing the ultrasound.

Quote:
ir?re?spon?si?ble
/ˌiriˈsp?nsəbəl/Adjective
(of a person, attitude, or action) Not showing a proper sense of responsibility.

Noun
An irresponsible person.

Synonyms
unaccountable

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I think that if we are going to endorse abortion (which I think is by definition irresponsible) it would be irresponsible to not inform the woman fully as to what she is chosing to do. This includes developmental information and viewing the ultrasound.
Most places already require this. What is irresponsible is harrassing someone who wants to have a LEGAL medical procedure. But there again, most of those who are against abortion seem to be men. If they were more responsible, there would not be so many pregnant women.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Most places already require this. What is irresponsible is harrassing someone who wants to have a LEGAL medical procedure. But there again, most of those who are against abortion seem to be men. If they were more responsible, there would not be so many pregnant women.
http://spectator.org/blog/2012/08/22...-view-abortion

The above article cites many surveys and polls that don't really support your claim about "...most who are against abortion are men." I really wasn't sure. That was about the only place I could find anything. The difference is only a couple of percentage points.

One interesting thing though is the argument about rape and incest. That is often brought up when one is defending abortion. I wonder if they realize that those 2 scenarios combined make up less than 2% of abortions?

Also, I don't know of any females that I know that support abortion. Now, I don't discuss it with very many either. One thing I do notice though is that most of the folks (guys, really..) that are okay with abortion are also against gun rights.... I just find it interesting that oftentimes you can almost predict what they are going to believe based on another (usually completely different ) belief... Oh, and they usually do not believe in God.

I say USUALLY... I know, not always the case!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
"Oh, and they usually do not believe in God."
Why do you bring mythology into every discussion? What if I said you are anti abortion because you don't believe in Santa Claus? That would be about the same type argument.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
"Oh, and they usually do not believe in God."
Why do you bring mythology into every discussion? What if I said you are anti abortion because you don't believe in Santa Claus? That would be about the same type argument.
If you look at my post, I did not say "because.." anything... I was just commenting the observed commonalities.. That is all. If you percieve it as some sore of cause and effect relationship then that is on you.... Nor did I say that someone is for abortion because they are against guns... Not quite sure where you are getting these ideas. Also, I do not mention God all that much in my posts. That is quite an imagination you have there. I did not use God as part of some "argument"... I was merely stating observation. Apparently the observation speaks for itself.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Are you willing to pull Plan B off the market? This medication can prevent the need for an abortion after birth control failure or after a rape. It has some benefit when given within 48 hours after sex, but should be given as soon as possible.

How about RU486?

Both of these medications reduce the need for the surgical abortions that everyone is so concerned about. I'd imagine that these should be hailed as alternatives to abortion. I'd imagine that these should be promoted as the responsible answer to a condom breaking. I'd imagine that these should be promoted as one of the least traumatic methods of treating rape victims.

And yet somehow, I think the consensus in this forum will lean a different direction.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
The same people who are against abortion are the same group in government that always wants to cut off help for adoptions.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 AM  

Quote:
The same people who are against abortion are the same group in government that always wants to cut off help for adoptions.
Now that's a stretch, even for you.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.