Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
soooooo........... back to egypt........

Since I made this thread it has turned very bad, what were peaceful protests with some relatively minor looting and rioting have now turned into full scale all out riots and the army is just standing by unsure what to do, they are with the people and not the government but they don't seem motivated to oust the "dictator president"

it really seems in the current state their military needs to just go in and exile the president and keep order until free elections can be held, but I'm no expert, it's just my opinon

Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
Since I made this thread it has turned very bad, what were peaceful protests with some relatively minor looting and rioting have now turned into full scale all out riots and the army is just standing by unsure what to do, they are with the people and not the government but they don't seem motivated to oust the "dictator president"

it really seems in the current state their military needs to just go in and exile the president and keep order until free elections can be held, but I'm no expert, it's just my opinon
The situation is pretty awful over there. The "pro Mubarak (sp?)" folks that are out there clashing with the protestors were probably HIRED by him I think.
Some in the military probably know that and that might be why they aren't stepping in. The whole thing is pretty bad. I do however, think that anywhere that the population stands up to an oppressive gov't is doing some pretty brave stuff... Best of luck to them.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:46 AM  

Central, CT
The critical thing we don't know at this point is who is behind the protests. Until we know who is, we can't support (or not) anything that is going on over there. For example, is the military behind the unrest in an attempt to push out Mubarak? Is it fundamental (or radical) Islamasists? Is it the Muslim Brotherhood? What role, if any, does Iran have in the unrest?

As was proved to be the case in Iran when the Shah was in power, we need to be very suspicious of what the press is reporting -- not necessarily that it is misreporting, but since most don't speak the language, they seek out English speaking sources. What they often hear is not what is going on, on the ground.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads