Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 PM  
Jeepin it up

Mount Airy, North Carolina
Mount Airy/ Mayberry, NC

Mayberry home of Andy Griffith and Opie Taylor. Historic downtown offers loads of scenic places. Also home of the globes largest open face granite quarry. Loads of car shows.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM  

High Point, North Carolina
Mount Airy IS beautiful. I have a buddy I used to compete against on the PBR circuit that lives out there. Amazing topography.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM  

Wilmington, North Carolina
I agree with you Vecoplan, I worked for a company that did a lot of business with Mt. Airy Signs & I loved the drive up there. Beautiful scenery and probably some of the nicest people I've ever met...
Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 PM  
Curmedgeon

Max Meadows, VA
Mt Airy also has an underwear and sock factory store downtown. We always stop there for a good deal.

Also a nice sporting goods store downtown. They have everything.

Also the home of Elvis since he faked his death. We have seen him several times at the AG Playhouse.

Did the drive-in close down?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 PM  

clarksville, TN
Even though i am from NC, i havent made it to Mt Airy yet. But I do plan to go there one day.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 AM  

mount airy, nc
Mount Airy is nice but like a lot of small towns, once you live there it is all the same. I don't think the draw of "Mayberry" is all it's cracked up to be, but being right at the foot of the mountain is nice in the fall season. October is beautiful on the parkway.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM  

lewisville, n.c.
Well worth the trip for anybody in N.C. a real down home type of place. Great shops and
diners along main st. Check out Robbys Army Navy for the Outdoorsman they have everything.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 AM  

Sanford, NC
I have to say this, and please don't take it the wrong way, but Mt. Airy is just one of SEVERAL great mountain towns in the region. It does get tons of attention, though, as it IS Mayberry! I think it is great but it gets a lot of attention that other small towns also deserve. The older parts of Sparta, West Jefferson, North Wilkesboro, Wilkesboro, Elkin, Rhonda, Lenoir, Taylorsville, Hickory, Pilot Mountain (which was Mt. Pilot on the show...) and numerous others have history in their own right and I recommend stopping into some of the older parts if you've got a few and are in the area.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:48 AM  

Mt. Airy, NC
Ahhh good ole Mayberry! I've lived here for 45 years and yeah it's cool to be from a small town UNTIL you want to have a night life haha

I love my town and it would be hard to trade "something to do" for the crime,traffic etc etc

But anyways.. Mt. Airy thrives on Andy Griffith and it's going to be interesting to see what happens in a few years when the "Andy" generation dies out and the younger folks that don't have a clue who Andy is/was comes along! Maybe they'll always be enough fans to keep us going ?? haha

Anyways, not really a rant, just an observation! Would love to see more craft beers in my little town!

Oh and if you wanna see a tour of Mt. Airy, visit my youtube Channel and look for the videos I made "Mayberry - My Home Town" haha

Jake
YouTube - jakecpunut's Channel
Old 11-26-2010, 12:43 PM  

Dobson, NC
Yes Mt. Airy is a nice town and beautiful area. If you like to spend time outdoors, you can't beat this area. Been up here a couple of years now and i enjoy it.

And yes, the drive in did close down.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Bookmark this Page!