Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 AM  
Not at the table Carlos!

Frederick, MD, Maryland
Christians

Tell me why you think that god cares about little ole me? Why would a god so great give a damn about what happened in my life?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 AM  

Austin
Not one, but I think I can help.

When you create you care. If you didn't why would you create? Creation, be it ideological, philosophical, or material, requires that the participant has a part of themselves involved.

More importantly if you can't understand why He would care, why wouldn't he? The complexity of the philosophy you are inquiring about is much more detailed than the two sentences you wrote.

The micro makes the macro and in that aspect we are all important, even if it's just minimal.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
if you really want to know why he cares, ask him!

you have to remember that he has a plan for everyone that was set in place long before you were a twinkle in your daddies eye. he will never put more on your plate then he knows you can handle.

alot of people make it sound much more complicated then it actually is. to gain that faith, to believe, to bring yourself to him; that can be the hard part.

i really am not trying to get preachy. he cares about you because he loves you. he created you. thats the simple answer
Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM  

san marcos, texas
to believe that god has a plan for you and that he directs your life, you would have to believe that he also plans for bad things to happen.

why does god let bad things happen to good people?

because he's testing their faith?

sounds to me like god's one evil SOB.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by addie View Post
to believe that god has a plan for you and that he directs your life, you would have to believe that he also plans for bad things to happen.

why does god let bad things happen to good people?

because he's testing their faith?

sounds to me like god's one evil SOB.
First, to answer the O/Ps question, I think Funetical said it correctly. God loves you because you are his child.
As for addie?s post. I feel us Christians have gotten too reliant on God. God says if you believe and give yourself to him he will provide you with everything you need. But what does that mean really? When I was unemployed and couldn?t pay my bills god didn?t give me cash. God didn?t give me a job. My mom gave me the cash and I beat the doors down and found a job. I know what you?re thinking, so why do I believe in him? We?ll get to that in a second.
I have a far different idea of religion. God does know you, but he doesn?t know what your life will end up like. He doesn?t know what you?ll do, or say. He gave us the ability to make our own choices. To find our own way. Ask yourself this, why are humans the only animal on this planet or any planet for that matter that can do what we do? Even the smartest animals cannot think like we do, rationalize like we do. Why is that? God chose us. He made us in his likeness. We are the only thing in this universe that can do what we do. God does not RUN our lives, we do. He built this world for use. We live, we die. Why give us this ability if he were to do everything for us? Cancer isn?t Gods doing. It?s just part of life that we made. Look at how many new diseases there are now compared to 100 years ago. The more we do the more we get. We pollute this planet and those pollutants kill us, not God. So when you get sick it?s not his fault. Why would God be there for you when you only want him when times are bad? This life is just a test, a test to see if you are worthy of living with him. Heaven is for the pure at heart. People are afraid of dying because they fear the unknown. But if you TRULY believe you know without a doubt that he is real and there is a heaven and a place for you.
I believe because I personally have met. I believe because when things were tough and times where tight I prayed for guidance. I didn?t pray for him to fix it, but for the steigth to confront it. When I was given the choices and couldn?t decide what to do he guided me to do the right thing. God didn?t do it for me, but helped me. When my brother was killed it wasn?t Gods doing, it was by brothers. He did the wrong thing and it cost him his life. If you put your hand in a flame you will burn yourself. God isn?t going to take the pain away.

Anyways,
God isn?t cruel. We just make the wrong choices. But we are humans, we are not perfect. And for that God loves you.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:36 PM  

san marcos, texas
I should say that first, I am not a Christian and second that I do not believe that the Bible is the inspired word of god.

However, if I was going to believe in god I would lean towards the clockmaker's theory that he created life and left it to manage itself.

I agree that if you are going to pray to a higher power then you should pray for strength and courage rather than just asking the problem to be fixed for you.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM  

san marcos, texas
Also, if you don't think that god is cruel, try reading the old testament with all the plagues and the flooding. Its pretty cruel. Especially the killing of the firstborn sons. If a king ran his kingdom that way he would be despised.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
God is just, and God is cruel when he needs to be.

For instance, in the story of David and Goliath. The kids' tale will tell you that David took down the giant with a single rock to the head. What the cute kids' tale leaves out, is that God then commanded David to cut off the giant's head for his wrongdoings.

So yes, God is stern, just, and can be cruel.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-09-2010, 03:34 PM  

Franklin, TN
I think the best way to describe God letting "bad things" happen is this...

When you have a young infant they will often wake up in the middle of the night screaming and crying for a bottle. As parents, we care deeply for our child, so we go get a bottle made and give it to them. In the same way a parent waits for the child to call out for the bottle, God often waits for his children, us, to call out in our circumstances. Not because He has to or is incapable of addressing our issues, but because it shows us we do, indeed, need Him.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:01 PM  

Austin
Bad and good are just words. What's bad for you may mean the easement of another suffering. What it seems people are asking when they ask "Why does God let bad tings happen to good people." is "Why does bad stuff happen to me?"

Atheist, go back and read Genealogy of Morality, and Conquest of Happiness, I'm one I read them all the time, the consequences of our actions have repercussions that extend far past our scope of understanding. What would be the point of a God that makes people suffer? What would be the point of one that doesn't allow us to? These aren't proofs in either direction, they are just mental conundrums caught up in the idea of self, and the need to be understood.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!