Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 05:57 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I'm still lost on Blucker's comment about Hoover. That went so far over my head that I didn't even blink!
Movie Depicting J. Edgar Hoover Gay Affair Rankles Some in FBI
http://www.aolnews.com/.../movie-dep...-gay-affair-ra... - CachedJan 9, 2011 ? Word of a Clint Eastwood movie slated for release this year already is stirring feelings among current and former FBI agents and raises the ...

Quote:
Summers also claims that the FBI gave the Mafia a pass for many years because mob boss Meyer Lansky had a photo of Hoover and Tolson having sex. (Apparently a photo of two men humping on a beach did exist, but one source who claims he saw it says it was too blurry to permit the men to be identified.) Though Hoover did appear reluctant to go after organized crime, most observers think that was because he preferred easy targets to bulk up his arrest records. Once ordered to take on the mob by Robert Kennedy, Hoover pursued Lansky in particular with zeal--irrational behavior if Lansky could expose him. Maas also wrote that when he asked Lansky's closest associate about the photo, the old mafioso replied, "Are you nuts?"

Which brings us back to Tolson, and to Hoover's rumored homosexuality. There were hints about this throughout the FBI boss's career, some of them admittedly a little silly. A 1930s magazine article describes Hoover's mincing step. He was a bit dandyish, favoring white linen suits as a young man; he had classical statues of male nudes at his home, and one of his hobbies was antique collecting. On the more serious side, many people sensed that his long relationship with Tolson was more than a friendship--the pair never lived together, but they're buried side by side. Today some gay activists include Hoover and Tolson in their pantheons of famous gay couples. But appearances notwithstanding, no one has found concrete evidence that the two men were anything other than buds. Given Hoover's ability to cover his tracks--his associates, with Tolson's help, destroyed many of his files upon his death--it's unlikely anyone ever will.
The Straight Dope: Was J. Edgar Hoover a cross-dresser?

"Gay Edgar Hoover": J. EDGAR HOOVER EXPOSED - Assata Shakur Speaks - Hands Off Assata - Let's Get Free - Revolutionary - Pan-Africanism - Black On Purpose - Liberation - Forum
Be Polite-hoover_crossdresser_1.jpg 

Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM  

blucher, where in the heck do you get this information? Are you actually human, or are you some super google computer?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
blucher, where in the heck do you get this information? Are you actually human, or are you some super google computer?
I thought that was common knowledge but I admit to having a great deal of what I call useless esoterica at my fingertips. I was just born curious, read for 62 years thus far and while I too suffer from CRS I still somehow retain some oddities.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
nope, you are because that is your belief, And I think these are the kind of posts that lead to anger, you don't assume everyone else is christian in an attempt to separate them and further push your own ideological beliefs

give it a break, this particular thread was about being nice and you want to use it to push your religion....
Well, it is arguable that nobody is perfect, that everyone makes mistakes. If that's the definition of "sin", OK, no problem here. But yeah, just because everyone makes mistakes, everyone does things they may not be proud of, doesn't mean that everyone deserves a punishment worse than anything mankind can contemplate.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
nope, you are because that is your belief, And I think these are the kind of posts that lead to anger, you don't assume everyone else is christian in an attempt to separate them and further push your own ideological beliefs

give it a break, this particular thread was about being nice and you want to use it to push your religion....
What the heck are you talking about? I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
We are all guilty of sin, in varying degrees Moderation and empathy are the antithesis to sin imo.
Part of what that means to me is that nobody is perfect, and as such we should not cast aspersions on others.

You have assumed way too much about me and my posts. Plus you are being a little presumptuous concerning my motives and beliefs, in addition to quoting me out of context and attempting to twist my words to suit your fancy
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
just because everyone makes mistakes, everyone does things they may not be proud of, doesn't mean that everyone deserves a punishment worse than anything mankind can contemplate.__________________
I think religion should go back to scaring the flock to death. FEAR is the debilatator of all humans in some degree. It will out motivate just about anything but sex. There was a good intention behind scaring the tribe (clan, village, Empire) into good behavior. The trains ran on time for Mussolini.

now just how much relevance that has to an actual Supreme Being is dubious. In Joyce's "Portrait of the artist as young man" there are several pages given to really understanding eternity.

Once you understand the enormity of the punishment you gotta wonder about what kind of God is so Supreme that he tortures (what?....small helpless animals FOREVER if they screw up over a bad apple?

The Religion God of my youth scared me but I found it hard to return fear with love. The irreligious God I feel loved by seems more interested if we spend this lifetime becoming more spiritually aware perhaps in preparation for the next stage of our growth.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:05 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? I said

Part of what that means to me is that nobody is perfect, and as such we should not cast aspersions on others.

You have assumed way too much about me and my posts. Plus you are being a little presumptuous concerning my motives and beliefs, in addition to quoting me out of context and attempting to twist my words to suit your fancy
It's also arguable that "sin" is a loaded term, implying something a bit more than simple imperfection. Depending on context, "sinner" has come to mean anything from a particular malevolent individual to "John Q. Public". There's no arguing that the word has strong religious connotations.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Another misquote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Another misquote
Hey, I gave you the benefit of the doubt when I argued against RedJeepXJ's comment; I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I argued against your comment.

"Sin" IS a loaded term. And nobody is perfect, whatever that means.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 AM  

TN
Quote:
Dorph, it is not gestapo tactics, but many people have very deep feelings in regards to their religious beliefs, and usually a thread starts out polite, but within a few days it turns into a name calling free for all, and many times someone gets hurt.

When I was a youngster, my folks warned me many times never to discuss politics or religion because nobody will ever win the debate due to these deep seated beliefs.

The administration wants to allow these debates to continue, but just understand that someone has to spend lots of time behind the scene (referring to the moderators) to read each and every word, and we personally read some hurtful words which in my opinion are not necessary.

BTW, thanks for clearing up my lack or knowledge between Mr. FBI and MR. Dam Builder!
Yeah right. The church totally dedicates itself to brainwashing infants and small children while they are innocent and gullible. They send paid missionaries to foreign countries to prey upon the poor and desolate and attempt to change their cultures. It hasn't been that long ago when they averaged showing up at someone's door several times a year. They were instructed to spread the gospel message of Jesus Christ and if not received well to "shake their dust from your feet." Southern highways are strategically dotted with crosses and Jesus Is Coming Soon signs...and you want us to be polite and not bring any of it into a conversation. BULL

I was brainwashed with that malarky when I was preschool and then my third and fourth grade teachers assigned each pupil a bible verse on Mondays to memorize and recite back to the class on Fridays. I lived in the church until I was over sixty years old before I made up my mind that I had never really believed it and that I never would. I'm 77 years old and I'll be speaking up against that 2000 year old Jewish fairy tale for the rest of my life.

Closed Thread

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.