Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 PM  

Using Milk Beyond the Date

Using tips given me by a Burmese engineer friend I kept a gallon of milk w/o spoiling 19 days past the sell date imprinted on the container. It might have gone longer but I finished it. The tips were don't store in the door of the fridge and shake the jug each time you use from it. I did that plus shaking it every time I thought of it when opening the fridge for other reasons.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:46 PM  

Nashville, TN
Buy smaller jugs or drink more milk...problem solved.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 AM  

Another trick is to turn it into cultured buttermilk by adding a cup of buttermilk and letting it sit outside the fridge a day or so. Don't try this after it begins to spoil or you will end up with a culture that is unusable.

Gotta run, I'm just a step ahead of the USDA and the food police.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:04 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Another trick is to turn it into cultured buttermilk by adding a cup of buttermilk and letting it sit outside the fridge a day or so. Don't try this after it begins to spoil or you will end up with a culture that is unusable.

Gotta run, I'm just a step ahead of the USDA and the food police.
but it sounds almost disgusting!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 PM  
American

Older milk makes better potato soup.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:16 PM  

When I was a kid we always had a Jersey cow. Milk was easier to digest as it wasn't processed, never heard of lactose intolerance in those days. When milk began to sour it was placed in a a churn jar and set in a warm corner of the kitchen to clabber. From that came wonderful things such as butter, buttermilk and cottage cheese. Processed milk can't do that without some help otherwise it just spoils as the good bacteria have been killed by the USDA.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!