Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 AM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
again, where is the link?
Do you really need a link to find how many years NC was under democrat control?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You’re facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don’t think too much further than that. And so what you’ve got to do is you’ve got to curtail that type of behavior. They don’t know any better."

- North Carolina Lt Governor Andre Bauer (R) 23 January 2010
Bauer: Furor over comments won't change stance - Governor Watch - TheState.com

This statement wasn't made hundreds of years ago. This statement wasn't made 40 years ago. This statement was made LAST YEAR.

You can hear this position any time you want. Simply ask a Republican or TeaBagger about their stance on public assistance and how it motivates recipients, and you'll get an answer whose principles can be classified as "eugenics".

The disadvantage of being progressive is that although you're leading society, you're also going to be the first to make mistakes. The disadvantage of being a Republican is that you won't be elected unless you refuse to learn from the mistakes of progressives.

Honestly, the best part of this is "My grandmother was not a highly educated woman" - Really? We want to take advice from someone who insults his own grandmother?
__________________

__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 PM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Just the facts:
Quote:
Walter H. Dalton (born May 21, 1949) is a Democratic politician from North Carolina and the state's current Lieutenant Governor. Prior to his election to that office, he was a member of the North Carolina General Assembly representing the state's forty-sixth Senate district, including constituents in Cleveland and Rutherford counties. An attorney from Rutherfordton, North Carolina, Dalton served six terms in the North Carolina Senate. He won election to the office of Lieutenant Governor in the 2008 election.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 AM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Do you really need a link to find how many years NC was under democrat control?
yes, I do not know the full political history of NC off the top of my head (And doubt you do either) so I am asking you to back up your statement..... and still waiting.....
__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 AM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
yes, I do not know the full political history of NC off the top of my head (And doubt you do either) so I am asking you to back up your statement..... and still waiting.....
Here's a hint for you:
Quote:
Republicans haven't led both chambers together since their fusion coalition with farmers got defeated in 1898. That includes a 112-year losing streak in the Senate and only four years of House control in the 1990s.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Here's a hint for you:
Still once again you FAIL to support your position. I asked for a simple piece of information, a source, and you keep beating around the bush, why? is it because you know you don't have a leg to stand on? lazy? what?
__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Ok, again: it doesn't matter who did it, what matters is what has been learned from it and where we're going to go from here. obviously those of us here now agree that it's wrong. Sure, historic democrats supported it. They've long since withdrawn their support, recognizing their mistake. It's too bad that contemporary "conservative" representatives haven't learned from the mistakes of their democratic predecessors. Andre Bauer's comments in 2010, and the general consensus of GOP and Tea Party candidates indicate that the basic concepts underlying eugenics are alive and well in the so-called "conservative" parties.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:53 AM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
Still once again you FAIL to support your position. I asked for a simple piece of information, a source, and you keep beating around the bush, why? is it because you know you don't have a leg to stand on? lazy? what?
Could it be that you googled it and just didn't like the answer? Or maybe you missed the lamestream news of election coverage in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Ok, again: it doesn't matter who did it, what matters is what has been learned from it and where we're going to go from here. obviously those of us here now agree that it's wrong. Sure, historic democrats supported it. They've long since withdrawn their support, recognizing their mistake. It's too bad that contemporary "conservative" representatives haven't learned from the mistakes of their democratic predecessors. Andre Bauer's comments in 2010, and the general consensus of GOP and Tea Party candidates indicate that the basic concepts underlying eugenics are alive and well in the so-called "conservative" parties.
There are always oddballs in both parties, that's why I am an independent.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM  
MRB
Senior Member
 
MRB's Avatar

Sacramento, California
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 389 | Kudos: +56
Are we talking about eugenics here? If so it has been going on in one form or another since BC times. Also; What does ones political affilation have to do with eugenics? Im sure theres as many democrats as there are republicans who in the past have been involved in this.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Could it be that you googled it and just didn't like the answer? Or maybe you missed the lamestream news of election coverage in 2010.

There are always oddballs in both parties, that's why I am an independent.
You made it such a point to show us that democrats have controlled North Carolina for decades; let me ask you something: Who was in charge when the program was canceled? That's right, a Democrat. But I guess that's really here nor there.


You know who was in charge when the North Carolina eugenics program was started? O. Max Gardner.

North Carolina History Project : O. Max Gardner (1882-1947)

Quote:
Gardner was a moderate and pragmatic politician. As a mill owner and friend of Piedmont textile, tobacco, and banking interests, Gardner promoted a pro-business agenda and fought unions, child labor legislation, and economic regulations. Often he opposed the eastern, agrarian, more liberal wing of the party, championed by Josephus Daniels, editor of the influential Raleigh News and Observer.
Back then, that was a Democrat. Today, that's a conservative Republican.


How about in 1973, when the program was cut? Who was in charge then? I looked that up too: Robert W. Scott

Between You and Me | Carroll Leggett | The Honorable Robert W. Scott

Quote:
Scott seemed to thrive on controversy, which was good because he had a way of looking to the future with a “devil-be-damned” attitude. Scott needed additional revenue to fund his proposed public kindergarten program, and North Carolina was one of the few states with no tax on cigarettes. He proposed a modest two cents, and a howl went up. “Didn’t he understand how important tobacco was to North Carolina’s economy and the negative impact pushing for a tobacco tax could have on his political career?”
Of course he did, but that did not deter him. His reply — which some considered blasphemy — set off a spate of negative editorials. “Tobacco is no longer king in North Carolina,” Scott said and pushed ahead. As Jack Betts of The Charlotte Observer has noted, it was 22 years later before anyone had courage enough to try to raise the tax, which remains one of the lowest in the nation.
Those sure seem to be characteristics we would associate with a modern, liberal Democrat.

I guess you showed us how bad things can get when we put conservatives in charge.

Let's remember what the GOP had to say on the issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bauer, Lt Governor, NC, (R) January, 2010
My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You’re facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don’t think too much further than that. And so what you’ve got to do is you’ve got to curtail that type of behavior. They don’t know any better.
That's right, the problem is that we let poor people breed. We've got to curtail that.
__________________

__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.