Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I was permanently disabled while at work and forced to retire. I haven't received anything from anyone. My only benefit is a blue Permanent Handicap card, which is in my car.
Ouch!...........How are you eating?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM  

The retirement pension I have been saving for 30 years. Yep, my own money!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
The retirement pension I have been saving for 30 years. Yep, my own money!
Sure! What about someone who doesn't have a pension and is disabled? In my field, as are many these days, retirements of any kind, are not an option. Not until 62 anyways.......... thanks to the government!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM  
Traveler

..........Get a piece of cardboard and a marker and take up a street corner and wait until you turn 62 I'm guessing. Gosh that's depressing. No wonder people turn to smoking weed.... Make that medicine! Oh I kid you now! I think the quotes are great, if you happen to be on top. Harsh, if you aren't.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM  

I would just like to know who "someone" is, in the phrase, "Someone has to take care of them."

California is broke, the taxpayers have been bled dry, our taxes are highest in the nation, foreclosures are nearing 50%, and unemployment right now is hovering at about 15%. Can we take money from the states with money? I think not. What do we do? I see no easy answer in this dilemma. I do have answers, but many would not like them.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 PM  
Traveler

After seeing things like this.....
I have a pretty good idea! I tend to have some solutions myself, but not many here would like me! Personally, and perhaps we're steering off course here, I don't believe the root of all our problems are pinned to the disabled. Maybe the culprits who actually disabled our economy over the course of the last 30 years, like the banking, and insurance industries, and with a lot of help from corporate America, shipping jobs overseas as well as a lot of other things but certainly not the disabled. About those quotes.......
Old 02-10-2011, 05:13 AM  

Greenville, SC
I can't be certain what course this thread is supposed to take. I feel that those quotes touch on most of the core problems in this country.
Not to veer too much in the direction of the housing market but.....
I blame much of it on the government trying to "encourage" wider spread home ownership. All it did was put a bunch of people who couldn't afford homes into homes.
And as an unintended consequence it put people who could afford homes into homes they couldn't afford!
*I do realize that other things went on as well. Such as mortgage backed securities backed by the bad loans.
I have said too much. It is now going to veer off into the mortgage direction. Sorry.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM  
Traveler

Another valid point Jellowjeep. I'd highly recommend the documentary by Richard Wolf intitled "When capitalism hits the fan". Richard nails it all on the head! Here's just an excerpt, and I love this guys presentation and his enthusiasim! Enjoy...
It would be so interesting to see what Adriene and Ben had to say about their quotes after seen things today!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
...I'd highly recommend the documentary by Richard Wolf intitled "When capitalism hits the fan". Richard nails it all on the head!
With all due respect, from that exerpt all I can tell is that this guy is sort of an idiot.
He talks about the "large growing gap" between productivity of the workers and the workers pay. That is one of the most retarded things I have ever heard. The difference is due to automation and technology providing the means of higher production. Also, the "growing profits" of the companies. I am willing to bet that those profits include all the dividends going the shareholders (uh, the workers retirement funds and such). The number of total shareholders likely grew during this period. There may be some tiny tidbits of truth somewhere in the stuff he says but it appears to be all out of context.
He also blames the banks for lending money to people. How about blaming the people for borrowing the money (duh, oh yeah that would be personal responsibility. Silly me).
After looking this guy up it all made sense. He is a proponent of Marxist economics. That is a real steaming piece also.
Enough said.

You want some real enlightening on economics read some books by Walter Williams or Thomas Sowell.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
With all due respect, from that exerpt all I can tell is that this guy is sort of an idiot.
He talks about the "large growing gap" between productivity of the workers and the workers pay. That is one of the most retarted things I have ever heard. The difference is due to automation and technology providing the means of higher production.
He also blames the banks for lending money to people. How about blaming the people for borrowing the money.
After looking this guy up it all made sense. He is a proponent of Marxist economics.
Enough said.
In one aspect I guess it equates to more for the corporation and less for the employee. Many employers hardly pay a living wage, while they bring in huge profits, and the CEOs make record incomes and bonuses. It does have an effect it seems. Wal-Mart Welfare How taxpayers subsidize the world's largest retailer. by Jenna Wright

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!