Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > New York City
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 PM  

NYC, NY
Home Brewers in NYC

Just looking to see if there are any home brewers in NYC. I just started brewing with the help of my two friends. We usually help each other out and do big orders sometimes. Was wondering if anyone else in the area does the same. This Tuesday @ 7pm, a bunch of home brewers are meeting at Dive Bar @ 96 & Amsterdam. If interested, bring some home brew and chat.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:36 PM  

New York, New York
In fact, the NYC homebrewers' community is large and growing. There's even an organized group which has been growing by leaps and bounds. The New York City Homebrewers Guild meets the third Thursday of every month, usually either at Burp Castle on 7th Street or Jimmy's the restaurant below Burp. Different topics every month, club-only contests, an annual contest that draws entries from around the country, all sorts of stuff. I recommend you pop down for our holiday party on December 21.

Edited to add: After years of having to mail-order/internet order or schlepping over 100 miles, we now have our very own LHBS. Brooklyn Homebrew will cover just about anything you need, and if they don't have it they'll order it for you. Prices are mostly comparable to Northern Brewer's, cheaper considering shipping costs and everything is fresher.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM  

I've been brewing for about 2yrs and have about 7 brews under my belt, each time is a little better than the last. This is a hobby I am glad I found!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:52 PM  

Cincinnati, Ohio
Any recommendations on brewery tours in the NYC area? I'm heading up there Dec. 3rd - Dec. 6th and was thinking of hitting Brooklyn Brewery. Any others worth checking out?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 PM  

Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Brewery (brewery - Brooklyn)
Park Slope Ale House (bar - Brooklyn)
Waterfront Ale House (bar - Brooklyn)
Henry Street Ale House (Bar - Brooklyn)
Heartland Brewery (brewpub - Manhattan)
The Gingerman (bar - Manhattan)
House of Brews (bar - Manhattan)

Also you should try Coney Island Lager, it's just a good beer

hope this helps...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 PM  

Brooklyn, NY
To the OP: I've been home brewing in Brooklyn for over a year, I've made beer in Vermont, Massachusetts & Brooklyn so far, got ingredients from Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut & Brooklyn; I'll brew anywhere, anytime!
Brooklyn HomeBrew is a great place to get supplies locally.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM  

New York City, New York
I just started homebrewing a couple of months ago! I have about 3 batches under my belt, and I'm loving every minute of it.

To poster #2, thanks for the link! I've been searching for a way to connect with other homebrewers.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 PM  

staten island, new york
Staten Island homebrewer here.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM  

New York City, New York
Brooklyn homebrewer here... been brewing for a year and half. A few bar/beer suggestions I'd like to add:

4th Avenue Pub (Brooklyn Bar)
Double Windsor (Brooklyn Bar)
Draft Barn (Brooklyn Bar)
Eagle Provisions (Brooklyn bodega with crazy crazy beer selection)
Bierkraft (Brooklyn beer store)
D.B.A. (Manhattan Bar)
V Bar (Manhattan Bar)
New Beer Distributors (Manhattan beer store, never been, but have heard tall tales)

Also, a food writer, Josh Bernstein, occasionally hosts a "Homebrew Tour" in which you spend the day walking to different homebrewers' apartments and drink homebrew (I just recently hosted). His blog: Gut Instinct | An investigation into the shenanigans occuring between my mouth and my belt.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM  

Homebrewer right here. Is that homebrewer get together at dive bar a regular thing?? Im not to far away.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > New York City
Bookmark this Page!