Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 PM  

potential racism in the south

I would love to visit the south one day. However, my GF, who is Filipino, is worried that everyone there is all white and she's worried they will be racist.

I know this is silly, and old fashioned. Does anyone have any advice or things I can say to remind her of good old souther hospitality?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:35 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2knee View Post
I would love to visit the south one day. However, my GF, who is Filipino, is worried that everyone there is all white and she's worried they will be racist.

I know this is silly, and old fashioned. Does anyone have any advice or things I can say to remind her of good old souther hospitality?
it's not silly, it does happen. BUT i would like to correct a couple stereotypes.

First, racism can come from many different places. the some places in the south can be a bit behind the times, but that doesnt mean its still pre civil rights movement everywhere you go.

to say that white people are the only racists you will find in the south is an innacurate statement.

im sure you are asking yourself 'what does thids guy from ND know about racism in the south?' i moved here last year from Arkansas. you have to realize that the south isnt the only place where a 'mixed' couple could be frowned upon. the best advice i can give you both is to not wear your race on your shoulder, and to give people a chance. if they arent used to seeing it, it may make them uncomfortable, but that doesnt make them racist. just be ready for some stares. smile, be friendly and polite, you two should be fine.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 PM  

Bastrop, Tx, Texas
SOUTH - NORTH it dont matter WE All can be just as nice or just as big of an ass as the other, so what Jeepcache said and may I add F-them if they dont likeYou & the woman you love
so CowBoyThe F--UP
Old 12-10-2010, 11:06 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
it may make them uncomfortable, but that doesnt make them racist.
Good advice but the above stopped me cold. I'm confused, if not racist do you mean their local culture would still result in discomfort merely seeing a mixed couple?

My friend was stationed in Minot many years back. He was invited to Thanksgiving dinner at the home of another airman. It went well but later my friend asked his inviter why he alone got an invite.
The answer was his (other airman) had never seen a live black person. That may sound strange today but I was 6 in Minnesota before I ever saw a black person.

It happened on a streetcar and being curious I pointed at the lady and turned to my mom to ask why the lady was so dark. Mom cuffed me hard enough to knock me on my butt in the aisle. She said; "never make another person feel different". 59 years later I still heed that advice.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
what i was trying to convey is you should give people a chance to adjust. just because they might not be used to seeing a mixed couple and it makes them uneasy at first does not make them a racist. if they approach someone or make comments or slurs, obviously thats a different story...
Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
1865 to 2010 is 145 years

By now I guess I expected more of Dixie.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:35 AM  

Huntsville, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
1865 to 2010 is 145 years

By now I guess I expected more of Dixie.
It is funny that peope get wrapped around the axles about 'Dixie' but how many Imams have been attacked in the south? How many mosques have been burned in 'Dixie?' The northerners like to think that they are so liberated, but I would venture that the majority of the hate crimes take place in the northeast, particularly in NYC. I was born in Alabama and grew up in South Carolina and I never one time heard/saw someone get harassed because of a being with someone of a different color/ethnicity. There are many interrracial couples in the south, not just black/white, but like g2knee's situation of being with someone of Asian/pacific island heritage.

Maybe blucher should expect more of the great people of NYC. Just my opinion.

Tim Hamilton

Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan
Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
^ Air Force?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 PM  

Huntsville, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
^ Air Force?
Marine Corps
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM  

Georgia
I don't think you will have any problems. Many areas of the south are much more cosmopolitan than they were in days gone by. The South hosts many large military bases that bring people of all backgrounds through the area. Major cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami are true melting pots. I think most people are willing to judge a person by the character they display and portray. However, if you dress like a street corner dope dealer or a redneck biker, people will react accordingly.

There are still some racial animosities and distrust in the South as they are everywhere. We live in a multicultural society and there is friction between cultures and it works in all directions. A quick glance at crime statistics and the evening news is enough to make many white people fear blacks. A remembrance of civil rights history is enough to make some black people angry at whites. However, most people try to get along and go the extra mile to be polite.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.