Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 PM  

Nevada
Part III of IV about Governor Rivera of California

Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM  

Nevada
I've just posted Part IV of Governor Rivera.

Reviewing the man's life had prodded me into writing a novella about his life and time. It will be The Leatherjacket Soldier. Perhaps when I've finished the first draft, someone here might wish to read and review it.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:59 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
If you are looking for a critical eye, count me in. I know very little about the history involved, but I do enjoy proof reading. I'd be happy to help you clean it up while learning a little more about the man.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
I've just posted Part IV of Governor Rivera.

Reviewing the man's life had prodded me into writing a novella about his life and time. It will be The Leatherjacket Soldier. Perhaps when I've finished the first draft, someone here might wish to read and review it.
I am a little bit aware of Rivera. I, in some of my research, have heard and read a thing or two of him. He was killed at Yuma, I researched, somewhat, a soldado under his command at that outpost on that tragic day. The soldado died as well.

Just read your section about Rivera . . . . Excellente!!!

First school tax in California was in the late 1700's. A soldado bitterly complained to the commandante asking why, if he was soltero with no children, he had to help pay for a school and was told that he indeed had to help pay because education betters and benefits the entire community, not just those who attend the school.

I'd like to review your draft when finninshed.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 AM  

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I am a little bit aware of Rivera. I, in some of my research, have heard and read a thing or two of him. He was killed at Yuma, I researched, somewhat, a soldado under his command at that outpost on that tragic day. The soldado died as well.

Just read your section about Rivera . . . . Excellente!!!

First school tax in California was in the late 1700's. A soldado bitterly complained to the commandante asking why, if he was soltero with no children, he had to help pay for a school and was told that he indeed had to help pay because education betters and benefits the entire community, not just those who attend the school.

I'd like to review your draft when finninshed.
Interesting - as the vast majority of soldiers, to include the governors and friars - WENT YEARS WITHOUT PAY OF ANY KIND!

Most of them survived on chits from the habilitado - iou's against when and if they would receive their pay. Rivera died with the government owing him more than 5 years back pay.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:27 PM  
fustrated genius

Incredible to think of, no one these days could be so dedicated. I think that's why they started dishing out land grants, or one of he reasons, as retirement benefits. But in those days widows received 0% of their husbands benefits.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Are you saying that if a land grant was given at that time, and the man of the house died, the grant was revoked and his widow was left destitute?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Are you saying that if a land grant was given at that time, and the man of the house died, the grant was revoked and his widow was left destitute?
No, if he died and was owed a land grant or pay, she could not collect. Rivera died before Mexican independance and as pointed out earlier, only about 8 of the several hundred grants were Spanish, the rest Mexican.

Even in a US land grant or "homestead" when my great-grandmother found herself a widow, she had to apply for the property to be transferred. They were usually OK'd as hers was.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM  

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
If you are looking for a critical eye, count me in. I know very little about the history involved, but I do enjoy proof reading. I'd be happy to help you clean it up while learning a little more about the man.
Thanks.

I just sent the revised/edited manuscript for The Sailor and The Carpenter to the publisher and am finding myself with more time to work on Leatherjacket Soldier.

As soon as I finish the first draft - I don't want it more than 60k words - I'll get back to you.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM  

Nevada
I've just posted about Pedro Fages - the man Father Serra had removed as governor - returns and becomes the longest serving governor of California.

For Hihood - he was the one who got the Presidio of Santa Barbara started - really upsetting Father Serra as he wanted to found the mission - and couldn't.

Check it out @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.