Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Grand Junction
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM  
Traveler

Grand Junction, Colorado
Welcome to Grand Junction

Well, folks, Admin came through. http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/ima...arrotDance.gif

So let's get some chatter going.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:49 PM  

Durango (Hesperus), CO
Nice...about time!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 AM  

Grand Junction, Colorado
Recognition, sweet sweet recognition. At long last.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:56 PM  
Wandering, not lost.

Grand Junction, CO
Know any STABLE firms in GJ region looking for a project manager / cost guesstimator type? It would be nice to come back home.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM  
Traveler

Grand Junction, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepingeezer View Post
Know any STABLE firms in GJ region looking for a project manager / cost guesstimator type? It would be nice to come back home.
Nope, those that have the jobs are sitting on them. I know a couple that have left due to this problem.

The large problem we have is that many of the firms are looking nationwide instead of locally. This prevents them from having to actually train anyone or to care about the social life of the worker. Married people rarely will move like that and are more sedimentary. So it you can find someone outside the area with the plugin skills, the short runs says bring them in. The long run is that the poverty class keeps expanding at a much higher rate.

It's like trying to entice manufacturers into the area with tax breaks and gifts. They bring in 40% of their work force and use 60% from the various temp hire. Then they do the 5 years and grab the next sweet deal from another city somewhere else and leave the taxpayers holding the bag. Seen it way too many times here.

I am extremely sorry this mess has taken it's toll on you. Maybe we need to do something about that but I just don't know what.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 PM  

Grand Junction, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepingeezer View Post
Can't help with that career, but if you're a decent machinist my company is looking to hire one or two more.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 AM  
Wandering, not lost.

Grand Junction, CO
My sentiments exactly. Have called GJT my home for 15-years, transplanted from the other side of the big hill.

Last 2-yrs have stunk. I got the ol' heave ho in June '08 after Comm Hosp "Chernobyled", and not the only one.

CO had a chance to turn it around in Nov, and failed. Govt needs to be fiscally responsible, and put sound business / environmental policies into place. Not gonna happen given the toxicity of politics.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 AM  
Wandering, not lost.

Grand Junction, CO
Machinist I'm not. Those that I used to know are long gone. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 PM  

Apple Valley, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
Well, folks, Admin came through. http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/ima...arrotDance.gif

So let's get some chatter going.
Sweet,.. its about time GJ was recognized....
Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 AM  

Basalt, Colorado
I live in Basalt, hopefully that is close enough.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Grand Junction
Bookmark this Page!