Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM  

Salt Lake City, Utah
Glacier National Park

I am planning a trip to Glacier National Park for my 2011 summer vacation.
What's the best time to visit? I'll be pulling a 34' fifth wheel, any recommendations for an RV park or camping locations?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 PM  

Billings, Montana
No suggestions on the RV stuff. But the Prince of Wales hotel area although not in MT is one of my favorite spots in GNP. It is in Canada so bring your passport.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 AM  

Whitefish, Montana
What kind of things are you interested in doing while you are in The Park? Climbing, hiking, backpacking, wildlife viewing, wildflowers.....?

I'm a Glacier Park addict, so let me know your interests and I'll try to help with a plan.

I visit the park year-round, but my favorite times are the fringe seasons, when the crowds and the bugs are gone.

You will most likely want to visit after the Going To The Sun Road opens over Logan Pass. The pass can open anytime from late May to early July. But the last several years it has been opening in late June. This is partly due to the construction projects going on.

Here is the park web site-Glacier National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

And here is a Glacier Park discussion forum. This forum is not real active at this time of year. But you can search around the site and find some really good info. This site has some of the kindest most helpful people I've met on the internet. Glacier National Park Chat • Index page
Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 AM  

Salt Lake City, Utah
Interests would include hiking, wildlife, and good photo opportunities.
I would like to avoid the crowds.
Definitely want to drive Going To The Sun Road.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM  

Eureka, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSweat View Post
Interests would include hiking, wildlife, and good photo opportunities.
I would like to avoid the crowds.
Definitely want to drive Going To The Sun Road.
Going to the Sun Road with a 34' fifth wheel? Wow. Better check on road conditions and construction zones.

Will you be leaving the fifth wheel in an RV park and driving around with your tow rig? If so, you can go up the North Fork road on the west side of the park to some less crowded areas. Not a good road for an RV, though.

They have an awesome shuttle bus system througout the park now. The nice thing is someone else is driving, someone who knows the road well, and you're free to take pictures the whole time. You can get off and catch the next one. It's free to ride them, once you pay to get in the park. We love it, because now we don't fight over who has to drive!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 PM  

Montana
I prefer the beginning of the winter camping season. Around late October, early November. Yes, it's cold. Not too cold, and there are absolutely no tourists. The hikes are still green and beautiful, if not more so because some of the trees are starting to change color, plus you can actually see animals because they aren't all scared off anymore.

That having been said, whenever you go, I would leave the 34' RV and take the tow-rig truck around during the day. Much of the park is more accessible this way.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM  

Montana
Here are some pictures from about a month ago when a few of us hit up the beginning of the winter camping season.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 PM  

eureka, montana
Get on the website and check length restrictions. I don't hink you'll be towing your camper up the Going to the Sun Road. I wouldn't want to anyway. It's narrow and hewn out of the mountain side. Not pleasant to drive a large rig through. The shuttle service is great and will let you actually concentrate on the scenery. Don't go too early. Winter stays awhile in that part of the country. It can be crowded and if you plan on staying at a campground in the park see about reserving a spot well in advance.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:20 PM  

Salt Lake City, Utah
The fifth wheel is base camp, I wouldn't even think about pulling it up Going to the Sun Road.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM  

Missoula, Montana
Amazing Hike

The most amazing hike I have ever been on was the loop to granite peak chalet then over Swiftcurrent pass to Many Glacier. It can be done in a day. The hike up can be hard but I would recommend doing it this way. The hike up is just that a hike, not a lot to see but still beautiful. We stayed in the campground just below Granite Peak Chalet, and when we left in the morning once you start down Swiftcurrent Pass the view is astonishing. You have all the lakes in front of you and glacial waterfalls on your right, and you are standing on a sheer cliff. unforgettable!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!