Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Don't Ask Don't Tell

Ok, so I'm a veteran. I work in veteran benefits. My life is surrounded by both active duty and veterans. This is one of those cases that really make my head hurt. I know people on both sides. I know a gay guy that is in the military, good guy, good solder. I know that he has LOOKED at other guys in his unit, but never said or did anything. After all it?s natural. I saw many women in my unit that I thought were hot, even hit on a couple. But here is the problem. If a guy hits on a girl or vice versa it?s not that big of a deal. It could be though. If you hit on a girl and she complains it could get you into trouble. But in the end if she isn?t game it?s no big deal. But if a guy hits on another guy and that guy isn?t gay it?s a huge difference. It makes the heterosexuals feel uneasy. It creates all kinds of mental conflicts in the group. I know service members that would get out if the DADT act is overturned. These service members know who are gay, but the law keeps them from flaunting it. It makes them hide it so that they seem hetro. That keeps the peace. Once the law is repealed then what is to keep the homosexual from hitting on a heterosexual that he might think is gay? What happens when you have that one guy that is all gungho from going nuts when he sees the gay guy prancing around like a girl? And don?t say they don?t. Right now they don?t because they can?t.

I know there are some that are really good solders, and yes it seems unfair that they can?t live their lives the way they want to. But how can you change a law that will affect everyone? Part of me feels it should be repealed, but the other side says no. We are already so short on when it comes to staffing our military. This WILL make that even worse. It could bring the draft back.

What do you think?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:17 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, I'm active duty Marine Corps.

Anything that affects the morale and cohesiveness of a unit hurts that unit, no matter what. I can't help but think that the military is being used as a guinea pig for America's experiment into bringing gays into open society and having equal benefits/rights/recognition.

If the American people really want to bring this issue about, please wait until after a time of war. Right now our forces are too fragile to take something like this on because of civil rights activists. Maybe if some of those activists went to Iraq/Afghan two, three, four, five times and realize what these guys are dealing with, then I'd respect their opinion a little more.

I know that if it was overturned, that they'd lose this Marine. Just at least wait until after a time of war to start this entire charade.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
Active duty Air Force

pretty sure it will be over turned by the end of the year. the op is right, you already know who is gay and who isnt. the people i work with arent marines on the front lines, so i dont think my opinion necessarily applies to your line of work Jake. te biggest problem i see is basic training. right now we has males and females seperated. where do we put the gays (is that what they like to be called?)? in their own flight? in the female flight? and as far as front line combat. correct me if i am wrong, but females generally are not placed on the front line. what about gays? personally, where i work (flightline aircraft maintence) it wont really matter. gays dont bother me. i keep hearing nov. 1 is the day. i guess the only way to find out how this will pan out is to let it happen...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Looks like there won’t be anything happening until after the election. I agree with Jake, they should wait until after these wars are over. A change of this magnitude I think is too much for the average solder. Whether or not people want to admit it, there are more people that will not tolerate gays in the military then there are that will. In times of wars it’s are to tell who is shooting who. I’m more afraid that this will push people to the end and they will do things that in normal instances they wouldn’t.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well said 78. I'm not anti-gay or anything of the sort. I'm just begging that we wait until after this 10 plus year war is over to start experimenting.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 PM  

Austin
To my experience if a homosexual knows you are hetero they won't hit on you. Not always the truth, but to my experience that's the case. We all think in relative terms, the way we think of women must be the way gay guys think of other men, without for a moment considering that they don't have the luxury of the common standard. I don't know if it helps or hurts, all I know is I don't want to fight and die for anything, I will if it ever comes down to it, but in the mean time, let's send some folks out who want to be there.

I think in cases of soldiering, all references to sexuality should not be involved. You aren't there to get some, you are there to fight.

DADT, works, better than anyhting we have, so until a better system is in place I say we go with it, but the second we find a better option, we should move onto it.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 AM  
Mod Medic

Loxley, Alabama
Homosexuality is a sin. If a law is in place that bans gays in the military, then we should have law in place to ban all sin in military, such as glutiny, gambling, adultry, lust, etc.... well just totally wipped out the military! I dont agree with homosexuality but I dont see where it is constitutional to ban a group of people that choose this activity to not be allowed in the military.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
This has nothing to do with religious beliefs. I believe it’s based off of the plain truth that you cannot make people like each other. As I side before, there are people that hate homosexuals. If you change the law and do so during a time of war you are doing so when emotions are at the highest. This means someone is going to get hurt.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanewhatley View Post
Homosexuality is a sin. If a law is in place that bans gays in the military, then we should have law in place to ban all sin in military, such as glutiny, gambling, adultry, lust, etc.... well just totally wipped out the military! I dont agree with homosexuality but I dont see where it is constitutional to ban a group of people that choose this activity to not be allowed in the military.
Where does it say that?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I mean, like I said I'm not anti-gay or whatever, but the Bible is pretty clear in its declaring of homosexuality to be wrong. Soddom and Gomorrah, for example - two cities that were conducting homosexual acts, and God destroyed them by fire.

There are many other examples, but this is the most prominent one I can think of...

Sodom and Gomorrah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.