Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Many companies don't understand logic. By keeping their employees compensation low, it influences other companies to do the same. Then most of these employees cannot afford to buy from any of these companies which negatively affects the bottom line.
For example, many of the Walmart employees in my area buy their toiletries from the dollar stores because they can't afford to buy the better brands from Walmart. So, how much of the money they save on wages, would be spent at their stores? I would love to see one of these companies do a study to see how much they actually save.
If any of you are business owners, are your employees able to buy from you?
If you want your employees to be ably to buy from you, offer a company discount. I think many already do this.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
So what about supply and demand for workers?

Oh, it seems that I read somewhere that many unions have a clause that a minimum wage increase will result in a raise for union workers... Hmmm..
What you are criticizing here is one of the reasons I think we need to shift away from minimum wage.

The reasons for minimum wage are numerous and not answered by the free market. I envision an alternative to minimum wage regulations that answers those reasons without the problems associated with minimum wage. My pet project, that I've brought up on several occasions, is the best plan I'm aware of that should achieve these two goals. This project does not suffer from the flaw you are presenting.

I am NOT arguing in favor of a minimum wage floor. I'm arguing in favor of some of the positive effects people are attempting to achieve with minimum wage hikes, but without most of the negative effects such as the ones you've presented.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:19 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
If you want your employees to be ably to buy from you, offer a company discount. I think many already do this.
This misses the point of Henry Ford's philosophy.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
That won't solve the over all problem.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
That won't solve the over all problem.
You are correct. I don't know what will fix the problem of people thinking you should be able to raise a family flipping burgers. I think that is moronic. You apparently think people should be able to raise a family comfortably flipping burgers but at the same time.... You don't want the folks who furthered their education and made the right choices to make TOO much money... I just don't see the logic.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:27 PM  

Greenville, SC
You know, I work in manufacturing and a few years ago I was just a machine operator working the floor. I have since moved into the offices into an engineering type job (no engineering degree)... I used to think the office guys had it great. Now I see it from the other side. After they leave they leave work at work. Me? Now I stress over all the office garbage. The further up the ladder you go (I am not far at all...no desire to be) the more accountability there is. Whether it looks like you do much or not you take on the responsibility of everyone beneath you. Now, I am also aware that stuff rolls down hill! But, where I work it stops at the office levels..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
You are correct. I don't know what will fix the problem of people thinking you should be able to raise a family flipping burgers. I think that is moronic. You apparently think people should be able to raise a family comfortably flipping burgers but at the same time.... You don't want the folks who furthered their education and made the right choices to make TOO much money... I just don't see the logic.
If "burger flipping" is a job that requires a human to perform it, an average human performing that job full time should be able to survive and thrive on the compensation for performing that job.

If he is performing his job within the employer's expectations, and he can't survive and thrive, then he is being exploited.

The average human worker is going to have an average of a bit more than one dependent. That's the family he should be able to support.

There is no need for someone to be exploited in order for another to excel. Economics doesn't work that way.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Most of the locals that I know who work fast food have at least 2 years of college. They just can't find anything else. There are some places where there just are not any other jobs.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Most of the locals that I know who work fast food have at least 2 years of college. They just can't find anything else. There are some places where there just are not any other jobs.
Which would change pretty quickly if people were being adequately compensated for the work they perform, instead of having to forego even vital needs to ensure some sort of income. When fast-food workers have the compensation they need, they spend it. Some on things they need, some on spurious things, but that money gets spent, funneled back into the economy, creating jobs for other people.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM  
American

So you willing to pay 20 bucks for a big mac?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.