Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > New York City
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2011, 05:43 AM  

New York, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdaniel213 View Post
...also...does anyone have a hardtop Wrangler here in NYC? how do you handle it? i want to get one for various reasons (mainly vehicle security) - but have NO idea how it'd work living in Manhattan (in the "standard" apartment here). how do you get it off & where do you store it? back in Texas, I'd simply install a simple hoist in my garage...but that's somewhat impossible here.

thoughts? ideas? anything is much appreciated!
Rent a storage unit for the summer months and throw it in there.

I am sure you can find one out in Jersey or Queens or BK thats cheaper then Manhattan.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 AM  

New York, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrio View Post
Soon to be 2011 rubicon...buying one next month
Well I didn't buy a 2011 RUBI, I ended up with a 09 X due to a deal that I could not pass up. Haven't been able to take any real good pictures, all I got is the one I took when I picked it up.
NYC Wrangler owners check in-jeep.jpg 

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 AM  

Quote:
Rent a storage unit for the summer months and throw it in there.

I am sure you can find one out in Jersey or Queens or BK thats cheaper then Manhattan.
Thanks for the feedback! I have indeed thought about renting a storage unit...but haven't really done much research on it...yet

One thing I'd have to find is one that wouldn't mind me setting up a hoist inside...so if you have any ideas/thoughts around that, I'd love to hear them.

Also - one reason for desiring a hardtop living here in NYC is for security. I've seen SO many soft tops (both on Jeeps and other convertible cars) that have been slashed and trashed. Any thoughts and/or ideas about having a soft top Jeep & street parking here in NYC (I live in Manhattan)?

Thank you again!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthetimebeing View Post
2006 Wrangler Unlimited 2 door.
I live in NY, NY but keep the jeep upstate for the time being.
Just curious - where do you live in NYC? Have you street-parked your Wrangler here in the city (either overnight or for any extended period of time)? Doe you have a soft top or a hard top? If you have a soft top AND have street-parked it, curious if you've had any issue with anyone messing with it (due to ease of access)?

Thanks much!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM  

Quote:
Well I didn't buy a 2011 RUBI, I ended up with a 09 X due to a deal that I could not pass up. Haven't been able to take any real good pictures, all I got is the one I took when I picked it up.
She's a beaut! Great find DEFINITELY a good foundation to build an AWESOME Jeep on!

Just curious - would you mind me asking what the details are on this deal you couldn't pass up?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 AM  

New York, New York
Quote:
She's a beaut! Great find DEFINITELY a good foundation to build an AWESOME Jeep on!

Just curious - would you mind me asking what the details are on this deal you couldn't pass up?

Thanks!

My step dad is a GM at a dealer ship in woodside, this came in with 17xxx Miles and i was pretty much able to pick it up from him for cost + detailing. Bought it for a little over 19 and got new car financing.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! I have indeed thought about renting a storage unit...but haven't really done much research on it...yet

One thing I'd have to find is one that wouldn't mind me setting up a hoist inside...so if you have any ideas/thoughts around that, I'd love to hear them.

Also - one reason for desiring a hardtop living here in NYC is for security. I've seen SO many soft tops (both on Jeeps and other convertible cars) that have been slashed and trashed. Any thoughts and/or ideas about having a soft top Jeep & street parking here in NYC (I live in Manhattan)?

Thank you again!
From the rental places I've been in, there is really no place to mount a hoist since all the units are open on top. But I have seen some unique hardtop racks built for hardtop storage. I would imagine that it would be better to store it vertically since it will take up less square footage and the smaller the unit the cheaper. Good luck with the searching
Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 PM  

Quote:
From the rental places I've been in, there is really no place to mount a hoist since all the units are open on top. But I have seen some unique hardtop racks built for hardtop storage. I would imagine that it would be better to store it vertically since it will take up less square footage and the smaller the unit the cheaper. Good luck with the searching
That definitely does make sense. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Any thoughts on having a soft top in the city? Have you (or anyone you known) had any issues with it? The main reason I'd get a hardtop is for security...and because I've heard stories of Jeepers in the city having their soft tops slashed.

Any thoughts around this would be much appreciated!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:51 AM  

I garage park. If you get a garage with an assigned spot you can usually store doors / roof panels leaning against the wall with now complaints. It's pricey but it makes life a lot easier.

Also regarding the hardtop, I have a bestop 2 piece where you can remove the panel over the driver and passenger. It breaks down into a smaller package because of that if you have to store it. I actually fit it in a 6x3 1/2 foot storage bin in the basement of my other apartment building.

And softops? I wouldn't consider having a real door or locking it. Anything that can be stolen out of my jeep can be replaced cheaper than a window panel. I run soft doors in the summer without locks. If they're going to be lazy and cut my windows instead of undoing a zipper, let them be lazier and just use the door handle. All my sound equipment/amps are buried in my locked center console and/or locked and in a tuffy overhead storage console. You don't know its there unless it's on.
NYC Wrangler owners check in-photo-9-.jpg 

Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loamy View Post
I garage park. If you get a garage with an assigned spot you can usually store doors / roof panels leaning against the wall with now complaints. It's pricey but it makes life a lot easier.

Also regarding the hardtop, I have a bestop 2 piece where you can remove the panel over the driver and passenger. It breaks down into a smaller package because of that if you have to store it. I actually fit it in a 6x3 1/2 foot storage bin in the basement of my other apartment building.

And softops? I wouldn't consider having a real door or locking it. Anything that can be stolen out of my jeep can be replaced cheaper than a window panel. I run soft doors in the summer without locks. If they're going to be lazy and cut my windows instead of undoing a zipper, let them be lazier and just use the door handle. All my sound equipment/amps are buried in my locked center console and/or locked and in a tuffy overhead storage console. You don't know its there unless it's on.
another excellent idea! i don't live in a building that has a garage...but there are a few garages in the area i could look at...and i don't think they're too terribly expensive.

one concern i'd have about a garage is height. your jeep looks built up (and nice job on that, btw). how tall is she? any problems with a lack of height in the garage? mine has a total of about 7 inches of lift and 36" tires. Some garages (any that weren't built in the last 5 or 10 years) in Austin, Texas had a major lack of height which made it impossible to get in 'em. Thoughts?

And thanks again! Any more pics of your Jeep?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 AM  

Quote:
another excellent idea! i don't live in a building that has a garage...but there are a few garages in the area i could look at...and i don't think they're too terribly expensive.

one concern i'd have about a garage is height. your jeep looks built up (and nice job on that, btw). how tall is she? any problems with a lack of height in the garage? mine has a total of about 7 inches of lift and 36" tires. Some garages (any that weren't built in the last 5 or 10 years) in Austin, Texas had a major lack of height which made it impossible to get in 'em. Thoughts?

And thanks again! Any more pics of your Jeep?
I'm about 6'11" in clearance. I'm at 6" of lift on 35s. I have to keep the CB antenna in the back for most places although my garage is actually tall enough for it. In Manhattan, I can't get in about 75% of the decks, but it's usually not too bad (although I did gouge my hardtop in December). It all depends on the boro. Usually outside of Manhattan you can get indoor parking for around 150-200 if you look hard enough.

I prefer a lot with my own space so I don't have to call ahead etc. I've done that before and they aren't too thrilled trying to move that thing around with a locked rear diff. That kind of lot is a huge hassle... even when you call ahead you still have to wait 15 minutes for them to pull the car out.

My friend rents a garage attached to an old brownstone for 200 as well. You can find a lot of those on Craigslist. That might not be a bad way to go because it seems like a lot of those garages have decent clearance. And if you need to work on something you can usually get away with it as long as you're not making too much noise and getting yourself kicked out.

I don't really have any recent trail pictures (broke too many things in the past year) but I have a couple pictures from a shop up in Portchester:
NYC Wrangler owners check in-img_0676.jpg 

NYC Wrangler owners check in-img_0688.jpg 

NYC Wrangler owners check in-img_0690.jpg 

NYC Wrangler owners check in-img_0692.jpg 

NYC Wrangler owners check in-img_0694.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > New York City
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.