Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Sopa

Internet Giants Threaten Mass Blackout over SOPA | facecrooks.com

Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
SOPA sponsor Rep. Lamar Smith to SOPA opponents: You don't matter - Yahoo! News

Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
List of Major Companies Supporting SOPA
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM  

Houston, Texas
I just want to pass on something my district representative to my state legislature once told me. His statement was that it IS NOT the responsibility of the legislature to ensure that the laws that are passed are constitutional. This statement applies to the US Congress just as much as it does to a state legislature. Who makes that decision? The courts after a bill has been signed into law and that usually happens in a case when a defendant challenges the constitutionality after the fact. Does anyone else see a problem with this? Does my signature below strike a nerve?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Homeland Security watches Twitter, social media - Yahoo! News
Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
SOPA is a big deal and should be treated as an act of war against our freedoms.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
SOPA is a big deal and should be treated as an act of war against our freedoms.
Just wish the public understood.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I just want to pass on something my district representative to my state legislature once told me. His statement was that it IS NOT the responsibility of the legislature to ensure that the laws that are passed are constitutional. This statement applies to the US Congress just as much as it does to a state legislature. Who makes that decision? The courts after a bill has been signed into law and that usually happens in a case when a defendant challenges the constitutionality after the fact. Does anyone else see a problem with this? Does my signature below strike a nerve?
Its similar to how our criminal justice system works - "Innocent" until PROVEN guilty.

In essence, you are 'Presumed' innocent after you have been arrested and incarcerated while awaiting your turn to prove that you are in fact innocent.

But, you can pay lots of $$$ to get out of jail while waiting to prove your innocence too...

Prove me wrong
Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Your legislator is right, but for the wrong reasons. The responsibility for determining constitutionality of a law is with the people and the judicial branch. Another way to say that is that the courts are granted the constitutional power to decide controversies arising under the law.

To make Congress responsible for determining the constitutionality of their own legislation would require them to have the powers assigned to the judicial branch. Granting Congress such power, they would have the ability to write any law they wished and declare that law to be legal. Isn't that one of the problems you pointed out about Nazi Germany?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Wikipedia to join Web blackout protesting SOPA - CBS News

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!