My wife and I moved to the area a few years ago and try to explore on the weekends. Depending on what your family interests are some of these may not be that interesting but I'll give a list of the places we've been.
- St. Louis Zoo - It's free and my family loves all the animals
- Science Center - In Forest Park with the zoo
- History Museum - In Forest Park too
- Forest Park - Has several options and is relatively close to downtown if you wanted to see the arch too.
- City Museum - I didn't get a chance to go here but my wife and in-laws went and they absolutely loved it. From their description it is a mix of a modern art museum and jungle gym.
- Butterfly House - If you like butterflies it's great.
- Botanical Gardens - It's a little cold for this place now, but the grounds here are beautiful. It reminds me of the large gardens you can find overseas.
- Anheuser Busch Brewery - Free beer and a tour of the brewery!
- Grant's Farm - Beautiful area to see wild life and enjoy a half day or so with the family
- Laumeier Sculpture Park - This is a nice place with open areas and sculptures. My family and I like to pack a picnic and enjoy the day here.
That's all I could think of off the top of my head. Hopefully you'll see something that sounds interesting.
St. Louis has a lot to do and the previous post had great suggestions.
But the City Museum is a must. It is unlike anything you will see anywhere else. It is really more of a playground than a museum. Most everything is
made out of recycled junk turned into works of art. Don't miss it.
St Louis Zoo on a nice spring/summer day. It's free (other than a couple exhibits and the zooline railroad). Parking costs too, unless you park in Forest Park and walk, OR better yet, park at Turtle Park on Oakland. Then just walk across the overpass that goes over Highway 40/64, then into the zoo.
another vote for the city museum. it has a lot for people of all age. there is a lot for kids like tunnels and other things to climb on. most of the things for climbing on are suitable for adults as well.
there is also a small zoo type thing. They have alligators and stingrays and a bunch of other things. A little pricey but worth it.