Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Tampa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM  

Organic Lawn Care

There are those who scoff at organic lawn care in the Tampa area. Surely one can't keep St. Augustine grass looking good without pesticides and harsh, inorganic, strong fertilizers! I do. I kicked the chemical habit and replaced it with Milorganite twice a year, spent grains from homebrewing, alfalfa pellets, compost and compost teas. My grass looks great and I'm not sending harmful chemicals into the groundwater, nor killing every other living thing so that the grass can be green. Any other organic gardeners/lawn care practitioners out there?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 PM  

I don't, but I should. Thank you for the helpful reminder to tread lightly!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 PM  
Traveler

How about some pictures of that Oraganic lawn? I love stories like this!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM  
Kevin

Tarpon Springs, Florida
where can I buy some milorganite? Is that the same thing as dietanaceous (sp?) earth?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM  

You can buy Milorganite at almost any garden center. It's the processed, polished sludge from the Milwaukee system.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 AM  

Diatomaceous earth is the pulverized exoskeleton of diatoms (tiny sea creatures). They are used primarily for filtration in DE filters and as a low-impact pest control measure for soft bodied pests. In the latter application they shred the pests' bodies, ultimately killing them, probably by dehydration.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Tampa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.