Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
i have still et to figure out what froyo is and weather or not i have it
I thought FROYO was FROzen YOgurt myself.....

But it is the nickname of Android 2.2

Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
oh, then ya i have that

Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM  

Valley Center, California
I think the Android developers have a bit of a sweet tooth.

Ver 1.6 (D) was Donut

Ver 2.1 (E) was Eclaire
Ver 2.2 (F) is Froyo - and thanks to mrmurdock34 for helping me find the connection. Wasn't sure how they jumped from Eclaire to Froyo but Frozen Yogurt makes sense.

The next version coming down the pipe is version (G) or Gingerbread.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM  

Fairmont, WV
Finally joined the 21st century last week with an HTC Hero. No 4G in our area for quite a while, so the Hero will do for the year contract I got. It's running Android 2.1. I've rooted it, but haven't done much else with it.

If I put cyanogenmod on it, will I still have the seven "home screens" that are on the stock SenseUI?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM  

I have 5 (default) on my Cyanogenmod 2.2. I haven't looked in to adding more. I know you can change the number of rows and columns for the icons. I know 2.1 gave me the option to add screens.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 AM  

Schwenksville, Pa
What's this Cyanogenmod 2.2 that you guys are talking about?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:41 PM  

Fairmont, WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfy View Post
What's this Cyanogenmod 2.2 that you guys are talking about?
In simple terms, the Android operating system is open source, so anybody* can get a copy of the code, modify to their liking, and install it on their phone. Cyanogenmod 2.2 is one of those modified versions - of Android version 2.2 - that happens to have a very large user base, so any problems are quickly found and remedied. So since older phones like my Hero may only have Android version 2.1 (or even 1.x) on them, and the carriers aren't planning on officially supporting the newest version, many people install Cyanogenmod 2.2 to have a lot of the features of the latest and greatest phones. Cyanogen also comes with a bunch of tweaks to boost performance and make your phone more customizable over a "stock" Android version.

*Anybody can do it, but not necessarily should do it. The larger the user base, the more stable the release will be.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinWV View Post
In simple terms, the Android operating system is open source, so anybody* can get a copy of the code, modify to their liking, and install it on their phone. Cyanogenmod 2.2 is one of those modified versions - of Android version 2.2 - that happens to have a very large user base, so any problems are quickly found and remedied. So since older phones like my Hero may only have Android version 2.1 (or even 1.x) on them, and the carriers aren't planning on officially supporting the newest version, many people install Cyanogenmod 2.2 to have a lot of the features of the latest and greatest phones. Cyanogen also comes with a bunch of tweaks to boost performance and make your phone more customizable over a "stock" Android version.

*Anybody can do it, but not necessarily should do it. The larger the user base, the more stable the release will be.
Right on the money. Great summary.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.