Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 AM  

Rockwall
Bbq

One of my best friends goes to school in Memphis, I'm going to visit her in late September, and I hear Tennessee has amazing BBQ. What's a good hole in the wall place for us to eat one night? We don't mind driving a little ways outside of the city!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM  
Got Milk?

Romeo, Michigan
I too am very anxious to hear what locals have to say.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM  

Franklin, TN
Its a few miles west of Memphis...one of the best though.
Greg & Jims Grocery and Bar-B-Q

Search around that site for other places, too. I've just been to Greg & Jims and loved it.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM  

Rockwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkonyn View Post
Its a few miles west of Memphis...one of the best though.
Greg & Jims Grocery and Bar-B-Q

Search around that site for other places, too. I've just been to Greg & Jims and loved it.
I just checked out their website, that looks awesome! I love small town places like that. Surprised they have a website! lol
Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM  

Franklin, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora06 View Post
I just checked out their website, that looks awesome! I love small town places like that. Surprised they have a website! lol
It's actually not their website. A guy I know travels going to the smallest, off the beaten path, no name dinners and such. If he likes them (rates them 1-5 grease stains) he will go back, ask for their permission and a take pictures and make a small web page for them with his review. Here's a list of his favorite places in the south. Great list to have when you're lookin for just amazing food.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM  

Martin, Tennessee
Cozy Corner BBQ is excellent

Leonard's Pit BBQ is good (if the locals don't scare you off)

Neely's is excellent.

BB Kings Restaurant downtown has a good rib. The bark has a crispy texture and the rib is very moist.

Although the Rendevouz is famous, I think you'll be disappointed with the babybacks. They're a dry type rib in a region really known for wet ribs. It may be a place to check out for the history...just don't be upset that it's not the "best" rib in Memphis.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 PM  

Franklin, TN
I've heard about Neely's. Have you eaten there? If so what do you recommend?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 PM  

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
There are two Neely's BBQ joints in Memphis, Neely's BBQ and Neely's Interstate BBQ.

Welcome to the website of Neely's Bar-B-Que - Memphis Style Barbeque

Interstate Barbecue | Memphis, TN

I've eaten at both multiple times and NEVER had a bad experience with either one! I know one burned down a while ago so you may want to look into that (I think it was Interstate).

Other then that you have the Rendeveuz which as mentioned is a dry rib (not cooked with sauce), I've never been there but I've heard they are good.

I ate at BB Kings once but didn't have much luck - just my opinion.

Corky's is a chain but I, and many of my friends, like their sauce. The meat can be hit or miss sometimes but the sauce is pretty good. - Corky's Ribs & Barbecue

I also had good luck at Pig on Beale St.

Which brings up Beale Street in general - you absolutely HAVE to go there when in town! I've been to Memphis quite a few times for work and only started going to Beale St. towards the end and now I wish I would've gone every time! The wife and I are thinking about heading down there for a vacation sometime in the next two or three years!

Beale Street, Memphis TN l Memphis attractions l Blues Music Memphis

EDIT: I've never had a BAD meal at any of these places so the only thing I can recommend is get what you like. I prefer pulled pork and ribs, when in TX though you have to buy brisket or they chase you out of the state
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM  

Franklin, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
...I prefer pulled pork and ribs, when in TX though you have to buy brisket or they chase you out of the state
It's so true...whenever I'm down there visiting relatives, you choose the wrong meal, or even the right meal with the wrong sauce and man...you start lookin for a guy with a chainsaw because of the horrified looks on peoples faces.

@ Pandora06, do us a favor and let us know what bbq joint ya'll hit up and maybe write a little review about it! I've started this thread HERE for short reviews. Just post a reply and I'll ad and link and put your name in the credits. Same goes for anyone who's recommended places here.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 AM  

Rockwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkonyn View Post
It's so true...whenever I'm down there visiting relatives, you choose the wrong meal, or even the right meal with the wrong sauce and man...you start lookin for a guy with a chainsaw because of the horrified looks on peoples faces.

@ Pandora06, do us a favor and let us know what bbq joint ya'll hit up and maybe write a little review about it! I've started this thread HERE for short reviews. Just post a reply and I'll ad and link and put your name in the credits. Same goes for anyone who's recommended places here.
Will do! I really like the top restaurant idea, very helpful. All this food talk is making me hungry.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.