Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 AM  

Woodbridge, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellman View Post
Living 20 minutes outside DC...if SHTF here i'm pretty much effed. I don't own land but i have a friend with 1000 acres in warren county...maybe if im nice he'll let me go there. I can live off the land just fine, and have a bugout bag in my house, as well as about 10,000 rounds of ammunition. Sure that sounds like a lot, but the only way to save on ammo is to buy in bulk. I'm a normal white collar worker, great job, manage a team of 4 guys...nice as you can be, brew beer...so i'm not crazy, i just found some good deals on the calibers i shoot so I took the opportunity to stock up!

Great points and concerns my friend. As for being close to DC.... I think that you will still be fine when it comes to having time to bug out. The trick is to stay ahead of the panic and rush. Just keep your ears open, follow the news (listen to internet radio while at work), and trust your instincts. be ready to head home, gather gear and head out at a moments notice. Also..... I suggest that you have a sit down with your friend and let him know that you would like to use his land in an emergancy. Develope a plan and make sure that your family is on board. Good move on the ammo purchases. Stay safe!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 AM  

Woodbridge, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsons View Post
paranoid is paranoid, bro
Preparation is not paranoia bro. Not being prepared is panic. Living in denial is foolish.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 AM  

Woodbridge, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebo202 View Post
Yeah, that's a little much. I mean, it would be great and all having a hideaway in the woods, but unless you live there, it's useless. C'mon... If there was a disaster of some sort, how would you even get there? When someone gets a a freakin' hangnail on 495 the entire area is gridlocked.

You must be smarter than the sheep. Stay on top of events and be ahead of the game. Military vets know what I am refering to.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 AM  

Woodbridge, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggraid101 View Post
If things went downhill that quickly, I'm afraid my family would be in big trouble. We've tried to stock up on huge bags of rice, but have no acreage to speak of. I need a gun!

No brother. You are ahead of the game already just because you see the need. Now.... you must do a couple of things as fast as your budget will allow. First, Speak with a Firearms Instructor and decide what is the best gin for you. I happen to be a firearms instructor so you can message me if you like. Then, buy a gun and take lessons from an NRA certified instructor. While you are doing that... poll your friends and family.... extended family also. Perhaps you have a brother in law or cousin who owns land or lives in a place that is not near the city. Maybe they are preparing as well and you just did not know. Have a family meeting and develope options. Plan A and Plan B. Meet here, bring this, etc. Something is always better than nothing so I am happy to hear that you are thinking about this. Stay safe!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:03 AM  

DC, Northern VA
A good site for this toppic: http://survivalcache.com/

I have a bug out bag but thats about it...
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 PM  

Staunton, Virginia
Since the dawn of man, every one alive has thought they were living in the end of days. Every society has thought "the world is going to hell." SO, I don't think we're any different. In some ways the world is getting better, in some it is getting worse.

Sweet deal on the property though, congrats. I'd love to have a similar place someday.

Ike
Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
I have at least 3 weeks of food on hand at all time. I also have the ability to put a rifle in every window and I have at least 2 rifles that can reach out and touch some one.

Worst come to worst I will just shoot and eat the people trying to get to me and mine.

I am not going anywhere. I am staying put. If hte zombies come traffic will come to a complete stand still. I will wait till they all die or leave then I will slowly start gathering needed supply's and what not.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Also, check this link........your first aid kit should contain a can (and it lasts indefinitely) of "Porter's Liniment Salve"... it's use is described here....most folks have never heard of it, but it works.....

Porter's Products

http://www.jamarklabs.com/20206-2.html

For your quick reference here's the use "copied and pasted" for you to see....

A soothing First Aid Salve: to prevent infection in minor cuts, burns and abrasions.

Provides temporary relief of discomfort due to minor burns, sunburns, chapped skin,
non-poisonous insect bites, and minor itching.

Recommended as a "beneficial application for bruises, rough and cracked skin caused by inclement weather, insect bites, sunburn and local irritations," it is advocated for use on both man and beast alike. The salve has a drawing quality, which works particularly well on slivers of metal, wood, or glass, beneath the surface of the skin.

Porter's Liniment Salve is made with Chlorobutanol, Cresylic acid, Zinc Oxide, Oil Cloves, Camphor, Ammonia, Oli Cajeput, Oil Sassafras, Myrrh; in a base of Petrolatum, Lanolin and beeswax.
Are You Prepared? Bug Out?-porters-liniment-salve.jpg 

Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 PM  

Clarksburg, MD
Our family is prepared for a 10 to 30 day event, which is what I've read would be the typical SHTF scenario. My wife and I want to increase that to a 60-90 day scenario and we are doing the research to get there.
We chose our new home location based on having to bug-out but I'm still not convinced we moved far enough west. God help us if it comes to that because so many people are woefully unprepared for just a few hours w/o electricity and a few days w/o things like milk and being able to get gas.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 PM  

Have you thought about having a garden out there? If it truely is going to be your bug out location you'll want more than bear/deer to eat. Also think about storing canned/jarred goods as well as a way to filter water.

ETA: If you have ITunes I suggest listing to The Survival Podcast. Great information and entertaining to boot.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.