Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 PM  

Newport News, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake03TJ View Post

Mowing at 15mph FTW!!!
Lies!!! They only go about 11 or 12 MPH!!!

I cut grass on golf courses for years and worked for a John Deere dealer that services all kinds of mowers and I would never go that fast while cutting. The boys bouncing up and down on the seat would kill me.

I have a son that pushes the yard for me. I still weedeat.

As for the OP, those are nice as long as you keep the reel/bedknife up. Make sure you wash it good and put something on it to keep it from rusting while being stored.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:24 AM  

Mobile, AL
I have no grass, only sand and sea oats. But when I lived with my parents on 14 acres, about 7 of it was lawn and I made my first automotive modification. We had an old Craftsman 14hp 48inch cut rider, it just wasnt fast enough. So i modified a 4 wheeler carb to fit it, ran the throttle cable to a brake lever next to the seat, and set the idle screw to about where the factory speed was. With the press of a handle I could mow at about 22mph with the blades sounding like an airplane. worked great for 3 years then it threw a rod when I was cutting some heavy stuff. I miss it so

Old 10-02-2010, 01:09 AM  

Lawton, Oklahoma
How often do you have to sharpen the blades on that thing?

I always looked at one wanting to buy but i figured after a couple of uses it'd be time to sharpen.

Less time mowing for me the better though, I have wild onions that grow like crazy in the back yard, after a couple passes over them i cant stand to be out there.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:10 PM  

Springfield, Missouri
I'm glad I don't have grass
Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
I have no grass, only sand and sea oats. But when I lived with my parents on 14 acres, about 7 of it was lawn and I made my first automotive modification. We had an old Craftsman 14hp 48inch cut rider, it just wasnt fast enough. So i modified a 4 wheeler carb to fit it, ran the throttle cable to a brake lever next to the seat, and set the idle screw to about where the factory speed was. With the press of a handle I could mow at about 22mph with the blades sounding like an airplane. worked great for 3 years then it threw a rod when I was cutting some heavy stuff. I miss it so
Reminds me about the time I was a kid that lived on 10 acres of land. 3 acres of grass and all I had was a stinking push mower.

I also had a atv, a garage full of tools and other stuff.

I started with taking the governor off of my rider then I made a nice strait pipe for it I lowered the from a little painted it. man that thing would run and mow good but still wasn't fast enough. So I took the motor off and trimmed it down. I made a hitch type connector for the back of my 4wheeler this way the engine power could all be funneled into the mower blades. This set up allowed me to cut the grass in 3rd gear doing about 20 to 25 mph. It was a blast.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
What's the average height of the grass before you wouldn't want to use on of those? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm usually so busy I can only cut my grass once every 2 maybe 3 weeks. By then the grass is pretty tall and thick.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM  

I love that reel mower in the first pic. We had one when I was a kid. Really not too bad to push as long as you don't let the grass get real long. Grandpa had one with an engine on top.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM  

Edmond, Oklahoma
My wife wants a reel mower... she says she would love to mow the yard with it. We have some acreage as well and I use a push gas mower which is hard enough sometimes. I plan on getting a sickle for the talk stalky weeds though.

Or... you could go this route and pull it behind your riding lawn mower..
The trifecta of small lawn mowing.-7112010004.jpg 

Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 PM  

Bluff City, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFool View Post
How often do you have to sharpen the blades on that thing?

I always looked at one wanting to buy but i figured after a couple of uses it'd be time to sharpen.

Less time mowing for me the better though, I have wild onions that grow like crazy in the back yard, after a couple passes over them i cant stand to be out there.
You need to spend a little money on fertilizer for your yard. The grass will die soon. Wild onions are the first sign of dead or very poor soil. By the time the onions show up though the soil is very bad. You can take soil samples from different places around the yard and take them to the county extension agent to have it tested and they can tell you exactly what you need to bring it back. Properly cared for the soil will help the lawn kill weeds, onions, crab grass and other invasive species. Grass will do amazing stuff if properly fed and watered.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.