Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy

Reply
Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Bad and good are just words. What's bad for you may mean the easement of another suffering. What it seems people are asking when they ask "Why does God let bad tings happen to good people." is "Why does bad stuff happen to me?"

Atheist, go back and read Genealogy of Morality, and Conquest of Happiness, I'm one I read them all the time, the consequences of our actions have repercussions that extend far past our scope of understanding. What would be the point of a God that makes people suffer? What would be the point of one that doesn't allow us to? These aren't proofs in either direction, they are just mental conundrums caught up in the idea of self, and the need to be understood.
I like that. How would you know what good is if you never knew what bad was? How could you sin if there was none? Or better yet how could you know what not to do?

God does not dictate what we do. If he did we wouldn't sin because God is perfect, there for he can't sin and if he made us sin then he would be sinning himself. So that in it's self if proof that God doesn't run our lives. Things happen because we make them happen. A child dies of cancer, but only does so because someone made that baby. Or the child dies in a car wreck. Again only because someone caused the wreck. While people will like to hate God for letting that happen God had nothing to do with it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM  
Senior Member
 
Funetical's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 345 | Kudos: +20
The idea of "bad things" also fails to encompass the idea of omniscience and omnipotence, being all and being nothing, being in time and out of time, existing and not existing, knowing and not knowing.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 PM  
Member

Fort Collins, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 66 | Kudos: +13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BO View Post
I like that. How would you know what good is if you never knew what bad was? How could you sin if there was none? Or better yet how could you know what not to do?

God does not dictate what we do. If he did we wouldn't sin because God is perfect, there for he can't sin and if he made us sin then he would be sinning himself. So that in it's self if proof that God doesn't run our lives. Things happen because we make them happen. A child dies of cancer, but only does so because someone made that baby. Or the child dies in a car wreck. Again only because someone caused the wreck. While people will like to hate God for letting that happen God had nothing to do with it.
Coming from an atomist perspective....

Every subatomic particle will react in the exact same way given a certain set of circumstances. Every action then creates a new set of circumstances for every subatomic particle affected by the previous action. This chain will continue forever. Therefore, given one particular set of circumstances that encompasses the whole of the beginning of the universe, the path of every subatomic particle in the universe has been set for eternity based on that first set of circumstances (and operating on the assumption that the universe has a beginning, this set MUST have existed in some form). By the law of conservation of energy and mass, no subatomic particles could have been added to the universe since its inception and none of these paths could have been altered (I'm not using the word creation here because there is no proof that a higher power created it). Now, everything is made up of subatomic particles, humans included. Therefore, if God created the universe, he must have done so with that particular set of circumstances that set the path of everything that has, does, and will ever exist. So he knew exactly what would happen for eternity at the beginning including cancer, car accidents, suicide, rape, etc, and not only did he know, but he designed it that way.

So if the Bible is correct, God did create all the things in this world that we consider evil, and designed all the evil things to happen. But then, the Bible wouldn't be correct based on its definition of God, would it?


Mull it over, atheists and Christians alike
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
The only problem with your rambling (JK) is that you can't possibly understand what God can do. God is the creator, which means he CAN do anything he wants to. You also forget that not all bad things happen because God did it. There is another source out there that is trying to pull you away from God. Satan tries hard to get you to lose your way. He very well could be the reason why bad things happen. Unlike god, Satan can and will intervene any time there is an opportunity.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM  
Member

Fort Collins, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 66 | Kudos: +13
Satin is quite the lovely fabric.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 AM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Satin is quite the lovely fabric.
Yea yea, dyslexia SUCKS. I knew it wasn't right but couldn't figure it out and too lazy to google lol.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:59 AM  
Great Dane Loving Jeeper

San Antonio, TX
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 52 | Kudos: +12
Do not forget that God gave humans free will. Omnipotent means you know everything CURRENTLY known. The future has not yet occured and so therefore you cannot know future events until they occur as choice comes into play. You can predict yes but there is a chance you could be wrong. Your teenage daughter goes to a party; you have educated her well on the dangers of alcohol and casual sex; she has always shown good judgement; will she be a good girl or get into trouble? If she gets drunk did you as her parent "allow" her to get drunk? You can predict what you think will happen but until she exercises her free will and an event occurs you cannot be sure.

Or you could argue that every possible choice is made and parallel universes exist for evey possibility and we are only aware of the one we exist in.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
if you really want to know why he cares, ask him!
I did, he didn't answer, guess he doesn't really exist then
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 AM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
I did, he didn't answer, guess he doesn't really exist then
Guess you're right. Hell if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't believe in Heaven or Hell how could they make you go there?
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM  
Senior Member
 
Funetical's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 345 | Kudos: +20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BO View Post
Guess you're right. Hell if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't believe in Heaven or Hell how could they make you go there?
Detroit is a real place, whether you believe it or not, and you could be forced to go there. Now if Detroit was based on fact and hearsay from some old dudes 2,000 years ago and no one had ever come back from there, then I would see your argument as valid, as it stands not so much, but I think you may mean it facetiously.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.