Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > District of Columbia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2010, 04:23 PM  

Roanoke, VA
Although I've never lived there, I've always wanted to. I love DC, personally, but I don't think it's somewhere I would want to settle down and live for the rest of my life. I think there are a lot of great work opportunities but with them come several sacrifices, and benefits.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 PM  

Frederick, Md
Working in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
My wife just graduated, and was offered a job in DC. She was told that they could fly her up there, and let her work for a while and see how it suits her, while she's doing her internship, but ultimately we would have to move. First question is, I have heard horrible things about DC. Especially the suburbs. Second what's the general attitude. I'm in Dallas, and Texas is just friendly. Is DC the same way? Everyone I have talked to says it's a great place to visit, but not a great place to live. Do any of you find that true?
DC is one of the most beautiful cities to work in. I work on the National Mall, but live outside the city. There are several great suburbs in which to live, depending on what you like. Do your research in advance, but don't let naysayers turn you off. Come and spend a weekend to see what it's like!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 PM  

Janesville, WI
DC and Dallas are two different worlds. I lived in both Texas and DC area and you don't know how good you got it till you leave. Besides the Traffic in DC which is horrible, the people are just like most other places hit or miss. They deffently don't drive friendly. No one pulling over to let you by etc. Weather was cold sometimes but the pay and jobs is what seems to keep people there. Not my cup of tea but if you are ok with alot of traffic and cold weather then go for it...

Good Luck!!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 AM  
jeep freek

Hagerstown, Maryland
The best part about visiting DC is leaving you can show your friends the bullet holes in your vehical and talk about how you survived.LOL accually DC is cool in some places George town is very cool.charles from JF
Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 PM  

Bethesda, MD
I currently live Bethesda, having moved from upstate CT. I like living here and so does my family. However when I was just out of college I lived in New York and there was/is nothing like it. You partied till 1or 2 then got up and was at work at 8Am don't know how I did it - couldn't now! DC is not nearly as intense as NY but it has a great night life, check out Georgetown, U street areas. People are people soem are nice others well...If I were looking for a place I would check out DC proper, then some of the close in burbs, ie downtown Bethesda, Alexandria making sure that there are a lot of folks your age around...you don't want to get into the suburb family set until you have a family!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:55 PM  

Centreville, VA
Yep, traffic is horrible. I moved here from Ohio, and when I tell people back home it takes 1 hour to drive 7 miles some/most days their jaws drop everytime...
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 AM  

Baltimore, Maryland
I grew up in Texas. My dad was in the Air Force. We moved to the DC Suburbs in Maryland when I was 13 and it was a BIG shock. However, I've been here since 1989 and really find I love this place.

I say give the area a chance. I would avoid the Northern virginia area and look at Maryland. Now, I live in Harford couty, MD, which is up north of Baltimore. But I can take a commuter train to DC and that's very handy. People are really nice up here.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:03 AM  

Washington, DC, Maryland
I work in DC and used to live there. I love DC and would still live there, if we didn't have a child now (no good schools)!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 PM  

Arlington, Virginia
DC is fantastic!

There are a ton of museums here here and they are all free! There is always something going on like rallies and performances. Like the Stewart/Colbert rally and the nightly free performances at the Kennedy Center.

If you wife has a gov't job she will likely get a metro subsidy which will make commuting free.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 PM  

VA
People... On top of people... With more and more people.... I don't mind the city, but there are more people here than the area can handle.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > District of Columbia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.