Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 PM  
Ill be back....

Pearland, Texas
Bad. IMO.

Went once in my early twenties and felt right as rain for the rest of that day but the next morning woke up with the same back pain. Chiro said please come back and we'll adjust again.....for another fee! No thank you

Old 10-19-2010, 12:24 AM  

Valparaiso, Indiana
Mine has done wonders for me. Went to one in highschool due to some football injuries and hereditary back problems.

When I moved to IN in 2001 - a few months after that, I somehow dislodged one of my ribs where it attaches to the sternum. Wasn't a horrible pain, more irritating, especially when doing bench exercises. My chiro was able to get it back in place, and has stayed good since. Also in the past few years I have bulged my disks in my lower back - usually after a few treatments throughout a 1-2 week span my chiro gets it back to normal. My personal doctor wanted to do some shots in the spine, and I was like "oh hell no" (not a needle person).

So IMO chiros are good.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 AM  

Pasadena, CA
I've been to a few different chiropractors over the years. Some are into silly hocus pocus type stuff, & others will relax me & adjust my back. I look for the adjustment type doc. I don't go often. It's probably been 3 years since I saw one. Most of the time one trip will take care of it for me, but there have been a couple of times where it's taken a second trip to get it to stay in.

It's not a substitute for regular medicine. If you have an injury or disease, I don't think it's a good idea. For an otherwise healthy back, an adjustment helps some of us. My last chiropractor was very thorough, & wouldn't take you on if there was an injury that hadn't been seen by a regular doc.

It seems like it would be better if regular docs & chiropractors would work together, so the best solution from either side of the fence could be used.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 PM  

Genoa, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I went for a while after I messed my back up a couple years ago and it kinda helped, but there was a lot of homeopathic type crap I didn't buy into. Still seems like a massage from a masseuse would have been just as helpful.

I agree. I went to a chiropractor for back pain and while he did wonders for my back I quit going because he said he could cure my asthma and I could get off my asthma meds if I kept going to him. He claimed to be able to cure diabetes, heart disease, etc. I considered him a quack. I just wish I could find a chiropractor who would help me with my back and keep the homeopathic stuff to himself.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
I like most of you have seen a few different chriopractors. the one I am seeing now, i have been going to for a few years. I first went to him with a bad shoulder. Movement was not what it should be could not swing my golf clubs. He alligned my spine and did a treatment of Graston, this is a very hard rubbing or scraping, if you will, of the musscles and tendons to break up the scar tissue on the affected area. After 4 to 5 treatments of this along with the allignments my shoulder was 95% back to normal. Now I am not say that this is for everyone but I am in favor of them.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I had a back back for the past 26 years. I threw out my back when I tried to lift a barrel all by myself at work when I was 25....

The pain started getting worst as the days went by, to a point that I had to roll myself out of bed, stand a certain way, and couldn't bend forward to wash my hands at a sink and so forth.

I was recommended to see a chiropractor. Well, after a few treatment, the stiffness went away, and then the pain started to ease up. The NEATED thing I recall, was I actually started to get staller because my back was stretched because of a compressed disk, I was placed on "the rack". It was like torture, but after getting off that contraption, and after my body adjusted, MAN! I felt great!

I still see my chiropractor whenever my back aches or when I have a severe neuralgia flare-up. I do NOT have insureance coverage for chiropractic care, and I WISH I did!

I can see that chiropractic care works for some, and not others, or the chiropractor that individual went to didn't do a complete job. I for one DO believe in chiropractic care, because they treat the problem of the mis-allignment of the spine versus taking some kind of medication or drug to MASK the problem.....
Old 10-29-2010, 04:43 PM  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Chiropractic is not evidence based science, so in other words, it isn't science. The origins of the practice are supernatural, and quite frankly idiotic and antithetical to what we know about anatomy and physiology today. Of course most medicine back then was pretty far off base, but we don't still use leaches; however, chiropractic is still used. Modern medicine got to where it is today through empirical research, chiropractic on the other hand was not subject to this because its mechanisms were immaterial. D.D. Palmer, the guy who came up with this nonsense, claimed that subluxation of vertebrae caused something like 90% of disease, the rest being caused from problems of other joints. The idea of subluxation being behind the issues (not disease but discomfort) persists today, but there is no evidence to support it.

There are of course many types of chiropractors, there are those that follow the teachings of D.D. Palmer, but also more serious ones that admit to the limitations of the practice. My opinion on it is that, for the most part, chiropractic is a placebo, it at best provides the same benefits as a good massage.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM  

Glendale, CA, CA
I work in healthcare (not a doctor or provider of any kind) and I have been to a few and had "dealings" with many others. In my experience, about 95% of them are quacks. The others can be very helpful but it is basicly much like physical therapy. It is good for many muscular skelital kinds of maladies but will most likely require a series of sessions. Good chriros will tell you fairly quickly if they can be of help or not. I have been in the room with quack chiros that claim they can cure the flu by aligning the spine. I have also been at parties where chiros were providing noisy cracking alignments to people after having a few drinks - this is about as dangerous (not to mention unprofessional) as I think it could get.

Bottom line is that you should really see a doctor if you've been injured and see if he/she thinks a chiropractor would help or if you should go to a good physical therapist.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 AM  

Syracuse, NY
I personally have never been to one, but I sent my 15 year old son for chronic neck pain caused from football. He went through 3 of them before I found one that was right. She's a little bitty thing, and my big boy didn't think she could "adjust" him because she's all of 90 pounds, but she proved him wrong. It took a year of adjustments and painful traction. But he's right as rain now. Hasn't had a single problem since.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 PM  

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
Chiropractic is not evidence based science, so in other words, it isn't science. The origins of the practice are supernatural, and quite frankly idiotic and antithetical to what we know about anatomy and physiology today. Of course most medicine back then was pretty far off base, but we don't still use leaches; however, chiropractic is still used. Modern medicine got to where it is today through empirical research, chiropractic on the other hand was not subject to this because its mechanisms were immaterial. D.D. Palmer, the guy who came up with this nonsense, claimed that subluxation of vertebrae caused something like 90% of disease, the rest being caused from problems of other joints. The idea of subluxation being behind the issues (not disease but discomfort) persists today, but there is no evidence to support it.

There are of course many types of chiropractors, there are those that follow the teachings of D.D. Palmer, but also more serious ones that admit to the limitations of the practice. My opinion on it is that, for the most part, chiropractic is a placebo, it at best provides the same benefits as a good massage.
Chiropractic research is based on evidence, just few double blind studies are performed because the physical adjustment is not as easy to create a control for as is a sugar pill. Case studies make up the bulk of Chiropractic research, though they do not get much credit because Chiropractors are doing their own research. It would be like Dentists doing their own research but we don't trust it because we don't think Dentists have the education to study their own field. It's rather ridiculous, but whatever. Further, Chiropractic research is self funded. Unlike medicine where multi-billion dollar big pharma can fund and profit from selling drugs, chiropractors do not have that luxury. Considering that the third leading cause of death in this country is from PROPERLY prescribed medications we give them too much credit.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.