Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM  

mt vernon, IL
GardenOfTheGods

Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 AM  

Chicago, IL
I have been aching to go here: GardenOfTheGods

I hear it is absolutely beautiful but events conspire to keep me away.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 PM  

IL
Gotta visit the Shawnee National for nice camping and backpacking. The river to river trail is awesome, and can be done in sections. Camp at Panthers Den, large overhangs, located along a creek. Huge fire pit, wide open spaces.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 PM  

Carbondale, Illinois
I agree the shawnee is gorgeous. The little grand canyon, jackson falls, and the pomona land bridge are all amazing to. When you get tired you can always go check out a winery.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:28 AM  

plainfield, il
There is some nice, short hikes that can be enjoyed at Saw Wee Kee in Oswego / Yorkville. It's mostly mountain biking and equestrian, but it has some unique terrain for a day of exploring. Maps and info can be found here Saw Wee Kee Park - Oswego, IL | Northern Illinois Trail Guides | CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers

Make sure to yell out "hiker" when you hear a bike or horse coming, lots of blind corners. 99% of people I have met out there are super friendly.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM  

Champaign, Illinois
I have been lucky enough to camp on mostly private ground but have been to Ferne Clyffe State Park, am still looking to put together a trip for the wife and kids to Garden of the Gods for some "primitive" camping. Most of my gear is Kifaru or military surplus type stuff, I have been trying to buy better quality simply because I have learned the value of good kit.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM  

Rei rei rei rei
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM  

Im a Outdoor Adventures leader at Northern Illinois University. We have done Red river gorge and I agree, awsome. If you were thinking northern illinois, there are some backcoutry sites that are around Oregon, il. I love to drive over the border into Wi and hit up kettle morraine south. nice ~35mi stretch of wooded country. they also have 3 shelters with pit toilets to reserve for cheap.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 AM  

still haven't been there myself, but the starved rock area is gorgeous. i went on a canoe/camping weekend on the fox river with my brother and that was beautiful.

My camping gear is mostly cheapo coleman junk.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 AM  

oh, and my favorite place for hiking (although very small) is delwood park in lockport, mainly because i lived two minutes away from there as a child. (oh, the memories)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.