Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
In all fairness Unions don't much care for my work ethic. I like being busy and always look for more work. this created a situation where the union said "I made other workers look bad". I told them to shove it. They knew darn well these "other workers" looked bad because they were dedicated to avoiding work.
At the same time my boss was freaking out because I was finding and adding new responsibilities every week. I asked why that could possibly upset him.

He had a good point. He said the day I was laid off or transferred he would need to request 4 workers to replace me. I hadn't considered it from that viewpoint before. Seems stupid when no one really wants you to work hard and do your best.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
In all fairness Unions don't much care for my work ethic. I like being busy and always look for more work. this created a situation where the union said "I made other workers look bad". I told them to shove it. They knew darn well these "other workers" looked bad because they were dedicated to avoiding work.
At the same time my boss was freaking out because I was finding and adding new responsibilities every week. I asked why that could possibly upset him.

He had a good point. He said the day I was laid off or transferred he would need to request 4 workers to replace me. I hadn't considered it from that viewpoint before. Seems stupid when no one really wants you to work hard and do your best.
Sounds a lot like a job i had many years ago.
I was constantly in trouble for doing too much.
I finally quit, as it was hard to slack it enough to make the union jerks happy.
If i am at work, then i am there to work.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
If i am at work, then i am there to work.
By age 9 I knew it too. I enjoy working. Even boring repetitious task go by quickly if you make it a game of striving to better past performance goals.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:

This^^^^

I have heard stories of union workers "sabataging" the workers that make them look bad. Even placing them in harms way to get them off the job.
These are the things I don't like about unions. You compound these things with the (oftentimes) outrageous benifits they lobby for, and it just doesn't make sense. These are the ingredients for failure from a business standpoint.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I have heard stories of union workers "sabataging" the workers that make them look bad. Even placing them in harms way to get them off the job.
The exact same thing happens in non union shops and I have personal experience. Some people put more energy into avoiding work than the original work required. That's human nature rather than a union issue.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
The exact same thing happens in non union shops and I have personal experience. Some people put more energy into avoiding work than the original work required. That's human nature rather than a union issue.
I HOPE NOONE GETS OFFENDED BY THIS BUT.....

I believe that unions (GENERALLY) attract a certain type of employee, and that those oftentimes are the ones most likely to be up to no good against the harder working ones. This same type of employee (again, generally) is less likely to last at a non-union shop.

THESE ARE GENERALIZATIONS, I KNOW.. I just believe that the way Unions are generally set up, they encourage certain behaviors and discourage other behaviors.

I do acknowledge that the human nature of trying to get out of work is present in any workplace. I do not believe that the proportions are the same at union vs. non-union.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
People go after the job for pay & benefits. I never knew anyone to look for a union shop to be lazy. It may happen but not in my experience.

I've never needed a union to keep a job or get promoted. Despite that my experience has often demonstrated that employers will put employees at risk unless workers have someone to speak up for them.

We just need an adjustment that allows the employer to fire lazy workers if they can show cause. This is in the interests of employers and unions.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM  

Greenville, SC
I guess that if someone is looking for good pay & benifits regardless of work ethic, they may seek union shops. I do agree that workers look for union for good pay & benefits. That is what I was doing when I worked at the union shop. As far as putting employees at risk, where I currently work is very good about going way overboard for safety. I know, many places may not be that way.
Also, at the union place I worked, you had to wait on an electrician to change a lightbulb. I'm sure that was in the name of safety.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM  

Rockford, IL
OK, Unions yes, Unions no, the real problem is, Do you really believe that there are enough good, fair, honest employers out there so a person can make a fair wage for a fair days wage? One that won't jack you around for so a friend? Fire you a personal reason? The working person has to have someone inter seed for him if something goes wrong in the workplace. I believe there are very few good honest employers out there.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jeepfamily View Post
OK, Unions yes, Unions no, the real problem is, Do you really believe that there are enough good, fair, honest employers out there so a person can make a fair wage for a fair days wage? One that won't jack you around for so a friend? Fire you a personal reason? The working person has to have someone inter seed for him if something goes wrong in the workplace. I believe there are very few good honest employers out there.
Good, fair, honest. Yes. I do however, think that businesses want to get the most for their money. (don't we all?) If they didn't, then they wouldn't be a very profitable business meaning that it would be hard to get investors due to low returns. No investors, no growth. No growth no jobs.

I think that supply and demand based on skillset and number of workers available dictates what the "fair wage" is to be moreso than the employer. Now, many people may disagree on the fair wage dictated by supply and demand. As far as being "jacked around" or fired for personal reasons, I don't know about that, I think that may be most likely at small operations. I am pretty sure that if you can prove it was for personal reasons, then you have a case. I just know I haven't seen this happen firsthand. Most I know of who have been fired, were fired for good reason. Oh, but the only time I was laid off, it was essentially because I wasn't in the union.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.